Park brake trouble

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Joe 396

I mentioned yesterday in another thread that my park brake was locked up on the right side. I have a new to me 2000', 2050 with 1900 hrs on it. I thought that it might be ice in the gear case because it's been cold here for a week or so. Luckily it locked up in the garage, so I turned on the heater for a few hours and it freed right up. So now I remove the fill plug on that side, thinking that a bunch of water would run out. I was surprised to find 5 gallons of hydraulic oil. The only place the oil could have come from is the park brake solenoid. I removed the cover (broke 3 of the bolts that are welded on of course), started it up, and the brake released right away. It did have about 1.5 drips per second coming from the solenoid. So I know the solenoid is bad, but why wouldn't it release when it was cold? I'm going to try it again tomorrow when it's cold. Maybe something expanded inside when it warmed up and let it seal just enough to work. Anyone have any other ideas? Does anyone know what kind of oil is supposed to be in there?

Rookie

I'm having the same type of issues with my 2040 parking brake now only it's the left side that's hanging up. If I rev the engine and jockkey it back and forth it will eventually unlock, but then when operating it sounds like the dog is hitting brake disc trying to engage again, with a loud clicking sound. I have over 1,000 hours on it, and I'm thinking the pump suction strainer has never been cleaned either and could be starving the pump slightly. All hydraulics are noisier than normal. Our ambient temps have been in the low 20's for the past week and I'm thinking that may be part of the problem. The manual says to use AW 46 hydraulic oil in the chain cases, and the hydraulic system. But I'm wondering if AW32 hydraulic oil might be better for cold climates or even a multi-vis hydraulic oil AW32/46/68. Any thoughts?

landtekk

I'm having the same type of issues with my 2040 parking brake now only it's the left side that's hanging up. If I rev the engine and jockkey it back and forth it will eventually unlock, but then when operating it sounds like the dog is hitting brake disc trying to engage again, with a loud clicking sound. I have over 1,000 hours on it, and I'm thinking the pump suction strainer has never been cleaned either and could be starving the pump slightly. All hydraulics are noisier than normal. Our ambient temps have been in the low 20's for the past week and I'm thinking that may be part of the problem. The manual says to use AW 46 hydraulic oil in the chain cases, and the hydraulic system. But I'm wondering if AW32 hydraulic oil might be better for cold climates or even a multi-vis hydraulic oil AW32/46/68. Any thoughts?
I live in cold temps and I found it better to change to a lighter oil.The Deere dealer here in Anchorage has an artic grade that works great. I bought my 2040 in 1997 and have had no problem with the brakes.

Latest posts