optimal digging bucket for bobcat 530

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ryantowry_81

so i recently purchased a old 530 to do some dirt work around my house. PO said it had a 48" bucket when he bought it but someone stole it. he sold it to me with a 60" toothed bucket he bought at auction. we have some very loamy clay and dry hardpan the bucket really just slides across the surface with the light weight of the 530. I am pretty proficient at welding and have a plasma cutter and was thinking of cutting the 60" down to 48" to get it back to original spec. the question is, is the work of cutting it down really worth the benefit or will i regret loosing the extra width of the bucket for less hard soils?

Hotrod1830

Yes, a 48" bucket would be optimal for digging. The wider the bucket, the more power/weight it takes to cut. Make sure the teeth are in good shape.
Digging in those soil conditions is hard for any machine. It is best to use a ripper to loosen the soil. You can damage a machine by trying too hard to dig/exceeding it's design intent. I had to dig a lagoon in soil like that, it's hard on them. Good luck.

Hotrod1830

Yes, a 48" bucket would be optimal for digging. The wider the bucket, the more power/weight it takes to cut. Make sure the teeth are in good shape.
Digging in those soil conditions is hard for any machine. It is best to use a ripper to loosen the soil. You can damage a machine by trying too hard to dig/exceeding it's design intent. I had to dig a lagoon in soil like that, it's hard on them. Good luck.
BTW, it takes some practice to dig with a tooth bucket on a smaller machine. Make sure the teeth engage into the ground ( I have seen them bent upwards). If the teeth are having a hard time penetrating the ground, you WILL need a ripper or bigger machine.

OP
OP
R

ryantowry_81

BTW, it takes some practice to dig with a tooth bucket on a smaller machine. Make sure the teeth engage into the ground ( I have seen them bent upwards). If the teeth are having a hard time penetrating the ground, you WILL need a ripper or bigger machine.
Thanks for the response. this is my first tractor so i am learning as i go. Interesting you mention bent teeth, after posting this i went out and looked at my bucket in detail while having a beer and realized one tooth is missing and all are in different states of disrepair. I also noticed the bottom of the bucket is no longer flat. looks like i am going to have to remedy that also or just fix the teeth and keep digging with it and find a good smooth edged bucket for finish work. any good data or diagrams on the optimal angle of the teeth in relation to the bucket or are you aiming for the bottom of new teeth to be completely parallel with the bottom of the bucket? also i have been trying to find new teeth and have noticed alot of different types of attachment methods, mine seem to have pressed on dimples on the sides( i will try and grab a picture tonight). where is the best place to get new teeth? I am a amateur operator at best but i have finally gotten to put some hours in working the little 530 and i have to say she is not a dozer but moves dirt decently for such a small machine. starting to learn that too much downward angle of the teeth digs too fast and stops the small girl but a slight angle and shallow dig helps scrape the top 4-6" and gets a fuller bucket. prob childs play to most that do this for a living but this is new to me. i do wish i had a smooth bucket also to compare against. anyone ever built a smooth cutting edge that goes over the teeth to make a toothed bucket smooth? might just have to keep an eye out for a cheap smooth bucket. i would not feel as hesitant to cut down the digging bucket to 48" if i had a 60" smooth bucket laying around.

Hotrod1830

Thanks for the response. this is my first tractor so i am learning as i go. Interesting you mention bent teeth, after posting this i went out and looked at my bucket in detail while having a beer and realized one tooth is missing and all are in different states of disrepair. I also noticed the bottom of the bucket is no longer flat. looks like i am going to have to remedy that also or just fix the teeth and keep digging with it and find a good smooth edged bucket for finish work. any good data or diagrams on the optimal angle of the teeth in relation to the bucket or are you aiming for the bottom of new teeth to be completely parallel with the bottom of the bucket? also i have been trying to find new teeth and have noticed alot of different types of attachment methods, mine seem to have pressed on dimples on the sides( i will try and grab a picture tonight). where is the best place to get new teeth? I am a amateur operator at best but i have finally gotten to put some hours in working the little 530 and i have to say she is not a dozer but moves dirt decently for such a small machine. starting to learn that too much downward angle of the teeth digs too fast and stops the small girl but a slight angle and shallow dig helps scrape the top 4-6" and gets a fuller bucket. prob childs play to most that do this for a living but this is new to me. i do wish i had a smooth bucket also to compare against. anyone ever built a smooth cutting edge that goes over the teeth to make a toothed bucket smooth? might just have to keep an eye out for a cheap smooth bucket. i would not feel as hesitant to cut down the digging bucket to 48" if i had a 60" smooth bucket laying around.
Teeth need to be parallel to the cutting edge of the bucket(bottom). Ebay has some good deals on a set of teeth. They are bolt on, which may serve you well.
They make a bolt on tooth bar, which is more practical that a tooth cover. If you have to have only one bucket, stick with a tooth bucket. I have both, and never take the tooth bucket off.
As for bucket size, a 48" bucket is plenty on a loader your size. You will be able to pack enough dirt or gravel in it to make your machine unstable. a 60" bucket on your machine would be good for mulch and other lighter material's, but could quickly overload your machine if filled with dirt or gravel.
If your into fabricating, buckets are simple. You allready have a pattern. The same place that sells bucket teeth on ebay sells a quick tach plate. I have bought several from them. Titan 5/16" cutout is the one I use for most projects.

OP
OP
R

ryantowry_81

Teeth need to be parallel to the cutting edge of the bucket(bottom). Ebay has some good deals on a set of teeth. They are bolt on, which may serve you well.
They make a bolt on tooth bar, which is more practical that a tooth cover. If you have to have only one bucket, stick with a tooth bucket. I have both, and never take the tooth bucket off.
As for bucket size, a 48" bucket is plenty on a loader your size. You will be able to pack enough dirt or gravel in it to make your machine unstable. a 60" bucket on your machine would be good for mulch and other lighter material's, but could quickly overload your machine if filled with dirt or gravel.
If your into fabricating, buckets are simple. You allready have a pattern. The same place that sells bucket teeth on ebay sells a quick tach plate. I have bought several from them. Titan 5/16" cutout is the one I use for most projects.
yeah i have been looking on Titan attachments site. they have some really cheap heat treated cutting edges too. i really was contemplating building another bucket but steel just seems to be so expensive it almost makes more sense to find a cheap one and modify it. I recently found this on the local craigslist: http://chico.craigslist.org/grd/5687057790.html might be worth picking up for 200 and just repairing it. probably cheaper than a 4X8 sheet of 3/16 steel and the quick attach plate. heck i could even get the new cutting edge from titan to reinforce the front where the crack is. would let me cut down the toothed bucket without putting the tractor out of service. seems 48" buckets are not really common outside of the mini toro style walk behinds or am i just not looking in the right places?

Hotrod1830

yeah i have been looking on Titan attachments site. they have some really cheap heat treated cutting edges too. i really was contemplating building another bucket but steel just seems to be so expensive it almost makes more sense to find a cheap one and modify it. I recently found this on the local craigslist: http://chico.craigslist.org/grd/5687057790.html might be worth picking up for 200 and just repairing it. probably cheaper than a 4X8 sheet of 3/16 steel and the quick attach plate. heck i could even get the new cutting edge from titan to reinforce the front where the crack is. would let me cut down the toothed bucket without putting the tractor out of service. seems 48" buckets are not really common outside of the mini toro style walk behinds or am i just not looking in the right places?
Yes, steel is kinda high these days. That bucket looks like a good deal as long as the back isnt rusted out. Cut off the old cutting edge, weld the crack and install a new edge and you should be fine.
Yes, 48" buckets are kinda rare around here to. I have been keeping an eye out for one for my 553, but no luck yet. I have even considered building a couple and throwing them on craigslist to see what happens.

OP
OP
R

ryantowry_81

Yes, steel is kinda high these days. That bucket looks like a good deal as long as the back isnt rusted out. Cut off the old cutting edge, weld the crack and install a new edge and you should be fine.
Yes, 48" buckets are kinda rare around here to. I have been keeping an eye out for one for my 553, but no luck yet. I have even considered building a couple and throwing them on craigslist to see what happens.
What area are you in? yeah i have resigned myself to finding a cheap 60" or whatever and cutting it down to 48". I think i am going to go look at that CL bucket, see if i can talk him down some. anything else to look out for on used buckets?

Hotrod1830

What area are you in? yeah i have resigned myself to finding a cheap 60" or whatever and cutting it down to 48". I think i am going to go look at that CL bucket, see if i can talk him down some. anything else to look out for on used buckets?
I'm in Missouri. Watch out for wasp nest's. Those things are ruthless!! Other than making sure the Bobtach mount is in good shape and rust beyond repair, there isnt much to them.

OP
OP
R

ryantowry_81

I'm in Missouri. Watch out for wasp nest's. Those things are ruthless!! Other than making sure the Bobtach mount is in good shape and rust beyond repair, there isnt much to them.
Good call on the wasps. I hate those little buggars. Only thing I hate more is rattle snakes! I called and left a message hopefully he will call back.

OP
OP
R

ryantowry_81

Good call on the wasps. I hate those little buggars. Only thing I hate more is rattle snakes! I called and left a message hopefully he will call back.
so i went and picked up that bucket from Cragslist last night and it looks good besides the cutting edge cracks. Just ordered a new cutting edge from titan to weld in. I will probably grind out and weld up the cracks for now and put that bucket on and start by narrowing my toothed bucket. the cutting edge i bought was 66" because 60" was out of stock. this should leave me enough left over cutting edge to rebuild the teeth on my toothed bucket also. stay tuned for pictures.

Hotrod1830

so i went and picked up that bucket from Cragslist last night and it looks good besides the cutting edge cracks. Just ordered a new cutting edge from titan to weld in. I will probably grind out and weld up the cracks for now and put that bucket on and start by narrowing my toothed bucket. the cutting edge i bought was 66" because 60" was out of stock. this should leave me enough left over cutting edge to rebuild the teeth on my toothed bucket also. stay tuned for pictures.
Good thinking on using the leftover cutting edge for teeth. I have used 3/8" mild steel plate in the past with great results. A hardened steel plate should be even better.