OMC 1200 Skid steer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tplal05

Hello all, Anyone had any experience switching a Wisconsin VH4D engine from Propane to gasoline? My Skid Steer is currently Propane powered and the regulator and carb are shot. It doesn't seem to have the power it should either and I was hoping switching to gas would improve power. Any help would be appreciated! Todd

OldMachinist

There should be a filter inside the fuel shut off solenoid and it may be clogged causing the reduced power.

OP
OP
T

tplal05

There should be a filter inside the fuel shut off solenoid and it may be clogged causing the reduced power.
This propane system is very old and does not have any solenoids or electrics to it at all. A few years ago I changed the diapham and filter and it improved. The machine is extremely hard starting and uses fuel like crazy.(forklift tank in about 2hrs) Hoping gas will improve starting and power.

OldMachinist

This propane system is very old and does not have any solenoids or electrics to it at all. A few years ago I changed the diapham and filter and it improved. The machine is extremely hard starting and uses fuel like crazy.(forklift tank in about 2hrs) Hoping gas will improve starting and power.
The new replacement gasoline carburetor would be a Zenith 12098. It replaces the original Wisconsin part number L63. It should bolt right up but I'm not sure if you have to do anything to the throttle linkage and you'll have to work out a choke linkage and fuel tank.

OP
OP
T

tplal05

The new replacement gasoline carburetor would be a Zenith 12098. It replaces the original Wisconsin part number L63. It should bolt right up but I'm not sure if you have to do anything to the throttle linkage and you'll have to work out a choke linkage and fuel tank.
Do you know if there will need to be anything done to the valve train/spark plug heat range etc? Thanks for all the info! Todd

OldMachinist

Do you know if there will need to be anything done to the valve train/spark plug heat range etc? Thanks for all the info! Todd
Valve clearance and timing are the same. Spark plugs I looked up Wisconsin engines in the Champion catalog and all the VH4 engines used the same plug.

Tazza

Staff member
Valve clearance and timing are the same. Spark plugs I looked up Wisconsin engines in the Champion catalog and all the VH4 engines used the same plug.
Propane/LPG runs hotter than petrol (gas) does, you will not have an issue with vavles or seats being burnt from heat if you change over from using LPG. The only thing you will need to tweak is the mixture, but as you need a new carb, you'll need to do that anyway.