old 500 bobcat getting starter out!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

h-m

hello all, i am working on my neighbors old 500 bobcat with the Kohler K662 motor in it still. His starter drive is shot and i need to get the starter out so i can rebuild it for him, how in blazes do you get the starter off this thing? it appears one has to loosen the motor and lift it up so i can get a wrench under there to loosen the bottom mounting bolt! there is pretty much no room under and around to get a wrench in there to get the nut off the lower bolt. am i on the right track with raising the front of that motor to gain clearence for the lower bolt? anyone worked on one of these before? thanks all! Micheal

OldMachinist

I hate to tell you but the only way to remove the starter is to pull the engine out first.

OldMachinist

I hate to tell you but the only way to remove the starter is to pull the engine out first.
 photo Engine_removal_1_zps54534de8.jpg

photo Engine_removal_2_zps54d3ffe4.jpg

OP
OP
h-m

h-m

Thanks Oldmachinist! i figured as much. at least these things are not too complex. i will be pulling it tonight probably. thank you for your input! i appreciate it. micheal