Nh lx865 bad leak

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

MADDADDY30

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and new to this machine. It is a 1999 new holland lx865 with 2600 hours. I bought it yesterday and I'm starting to thank maybe i got the shaft. I got it home yesterday and ran it for about 2 hours and noticed a bad leak coming from under the machine. It's Definitely hydrolic fluid. I dropped belly pan amd inspected underneath with then engine running but everything is covered under there and I can't pin point leak location. Any help is much appreciated.. I have videos but don't know how to post

Attachments

• 20220529_125341.jpg
    20220529_125341.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 206
  • 20220528_173642.jpg
    20220528_173642.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 142
OP
OP
M

MADDADDY30

Forgot to add. I'm having issues with the machine moving once warm and trying to use the boom at the same time. Boom is also shuttering as I try to raise it.

mrbb

well just so you know the proper fluid for the hydraulic system is NOT hydraulic fluid, its 10w30 diesel motor oil
these older machines used same oil in motor as hydraulic system!

but problem, is, over the yrs, many folks have mixed fluids and or ??

so that said, MY suggestion here is, remove all the skid plates , give entire inside as good soaking with a good degreaser, and wash well,
then try and pin point where leak is
on my lx 865, I had the hose on the bottom of the tank crack and cause a good leak once, wasn't easy to find at first till all was cleaned good, and wasn't fun to get to , to replace, had to tilt cab which isn't a small project in itself

as for trouble with moving and or lifting, a lot of this can depend on where the leak is, and loosing pressure or low fluid level?
I'd again start with a good cleaning, then find the leak, and fix that and go from there
I;'d also make sure after fixing leak, that I'd drain system,m and replace with all new CORRECT fluid and a new filter!
running improper fluid can cause issues, from leaks to ruining pumps to?too thin or thick fluid can be a problem in itself!

Ivan

See all those rubber hoses on top of your hyrostats. Check each one onthe bottom side for leaks where they rub any metal. If you have another that goes from the top of thehydro back into the engine compartment check that one rall good. I had to rplace that line on mine as it ws rubbingand wore a hole thru it

mrbb

the one hose is rubbing thru its protective coating in two spots and then the one its rubbing is also wearing thru
on the left hand side drive level, is a known wear spot too, but you cannot see from this picture,
but when you push the left side drive handle forward to go forward, it rubs the hose and in time will also wear thru there, it was a poor design of running the hoses on this model!
but I don;t think your hoses where there rubbing are where your leak is at, there would be a lot more oil all over the area
like I said, best advice is clean well, remove all skid plates, wash and dry, and run and little and find the leaking
and fix
them hoses will need to be addressed in the near future as well, , so if your leak is in a spot that need the cab flipped, might as well change them while at it , as that isn;t a fun job to do on this machine!
also, if when you do replace them two hoses, have them make the one an inch or so longer , its what I did and it now allows for them hoses to not rub like they did before!

OP
OP
M

MADDADDY30

Great advice! Thank you! There isn't any leaks under the seat that I know of at the moment. This is my first skid steer and I like it so far. Another thing is the left hand "sitting In Seat" seems to have more movement than the right hand

OP
OP
M

MADDADDY30

So I dug in some more today pulling the 2 return lines as the are the ones that rub into the metal on the frame. I'm going to have new ones made since they are off. But it seems that it's leaking still even tho I haven't ran it in 2 weeks. The hydrolic Reservoir was almost empty and I put 2 gallons in it before I parked it.

mrbb

like I said, it could be the hose on the bottom of the tank, that's what started leaking on mine, the hose got old and just age caused it to start leaking
as for the levers they should be adjustable to make them have the same amount of movement
you want things set up so when you have BOTH pushed forward or reverse that the machine tracks straight, and one side doesn;'t go faster than the other!

OP
OP
M

MADDADDY30

like I said, it could be the hose on the bottom of the tank, that's what started leaking on mine, the hose got old and just age caused it to start leaking
as for the levers they should be adjustable to make them have the same amount of movement
you want things set up so when you have BOTH pushed forward or reverse that the machine tracks straight, and one side doesn;'t go faster than the other!
Correct... I tried getting the two off the pump today to get to it but they wouldn't budge. I'm having the 2 return lines replaced tomorrow.

OP
OP
M

MADDADDY30

Can anyone help me find this part!.? Nh 86531253.? It's the hose that goes from hydraulic res to the gear pump.

Ivan

Can anyone help me find this part!.? Nh 86531253.? It's the hose that goes from hydraulic res to the gear pump.
Are the ends the type that slip over and clamp with a hose clamp. If they are any auto parts store should have it and cut it to size for you

OP
OP
M

MADDADDY30

Yes sir! Great news thank you. It has a huge fitting on it. I wasn't sure if it was a press fit or not. I guess I'm going to have to take the 2 high pressure hoses opp the pump to access that one.?

mrbb

I sent you a PM/ conversation ,
with some info for you , you may want to look into!

OP
OP
M

MADDADDY30

Ok guys.! I finally got it off! Someone suggested I can get the hose from the hydro tank to the pump at the hardware store but this is a pressed fitting. I'm a little confused
20220610_174241.jpg

Ivan

Ok guys.! I finally got it off! Someone suggested I can get the hose from the hydro tank to the pump at the hardware store but this is a pressed fitting. I'm a little confused That top fitting will come out of the hose. Iyt is held in place by that clamp. Take it to a hyd shop and they should be able to make one. Just hold on to your rear after you hear the price. You might walk out a little funny and have a much lighter wallet. If that is the inley hose to your pump tell them as that is a suction line i should have wire in it like ahyd line does

Last edited: