NH LS170 lift arm issue/changing battery

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jpa

I can not get my LS170 to crank, thinking it is a dead battery, is there a way to raise the lift arms manually to gain access to the motor compartment?

mfyock

You can disconnct hydraulic lines and lift the arms with another machine. I would first open the rear engine covers. You can slide the engine side cover off with the boom down. Hook up a battery charger and see if the battery takes a charge. Thats a whole lot less work than trying to lift the boom arms.

OP
OP
J

jpa

You can disconnct hydraulic lines and lift the arms with another machine. I would first open the rear engine covers. You can slide the engine side cover off with the boom down. Hook up a battery charger and see if the battery takes a charge. Thats a whole lot less work than trying to lift the boom arms.
Thanks for the reply, I've tried charging it and jumping it off. It seems as though my last resort is to lift the arms so I can get the old battery out and install the new one I purchased yesterday

Mike10

If you have not doje it yet, then remove the cables and clean them and the pad on the battery that contacts the cable ends. You could just have a bad connection. It is also possible there is a problem in operators restraint system. If your loader has a service/run switch have you tried starting the engine in the service postion.
If you have a good set of jumper cables you can remove the battery cables from the dead battery and install bolts in the cable ends that were attached to the battery. Then jump to the bolts from a good battery. Be carefull that the positive cable does not ground itself against something. You could leave the negative cable attached to the old battery but you need to remove it first before you remove the positive cable so you don't cause a short circuit.

OP
OP
J

jpa

If you have not doje it yet, then remove the cables and clean them and the pad on the battery that contacts the cable ends. You could just have a bad connection. It is also possible there is a problem in operators restraint system. If your loader has a service/run switch have you tried starting the engine in the service postion.
If you have a good set of jumper cables you can remove the battery cables from the dead battery and install bolts in the cable ends that were attached to the battery. Then jump to the bolts from a good battery. Be carefull that the positive cable does not ground itself against something. You could leave the negative cable attached to the old battery but you need to remove it first before you remove the positive cable so you don't cause a short circuit.
Thanks for the info, I removed the muffler and was able to lift it out. replaced with new one and she cranked right up

hotdogsL553

Thanks for the info, I removed the muffler and was able to lift it out. replaced with new one and she cranked right up
I had a problem with my L553 starting and the lift boom was down and as Ya'll know I could not get into the engine compartment. I connected a second battery to the skid steer, depressed the up peddle and used the starter to raise the boom. It takes a while to keep the starter from getting to hot, but it worked. I learned that one from the SCANG (heavy equipment), Thanks Motor Sarge! Thanks, Hotdog.

OP
OP
J

jpa

I had a problem with my L553 starting and the lift boom was down and as Ya'll know I could not get into the engine compartment. I connected a second battery to the skid steer, depressed the up peddle and used the starter to raise the boom. It takes a while to keep the starter from getting to hot, but it worked. I learned that one from the SCANG (heavy equipment), Thanks Motor Sarge! Thanks, Hotdog.
That's good info, Thanks for your posts

Latest posts