NH 553 boom sticks or locks

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

connor

I have a 553 skid steer that some times the boom gets stuck.It wont go up or down.It bogs the engine down when you try to raise or lower it.Is there any kind of check valve that can be sticking.The bucket tilts when this happens Just wont go up or down.

Tazza

Staff member
Sounds more like a safety lockout solenoid to me, like if you get off the seat or lift the seat bar it locks the arms out to try and prevent injury. I don't know where to look for it though.. Never used a NH machine.

skidsteer.ca

Sounds more like a safety lockout solenoid to me, like if you get off the seat or lift the seat bar it locks the arms out to try and prevent injury. I don't know where to look for it though.. Never used a NH machine.
The newer NH machines use spool locks on the main hydraulic valve, but it sounds like you can move your pedal, so it does sound like its some sort of lock valve on the hydraulic flow.
Ken

92LX555

See my post titled Hydraulic Oil...... I have a 555 which is very similiar to the 553. Had the same exact issue a few days agao. I drained the hyd. fluid......plug on the 555 is located on the outside of the machine behind the left front wheel. You will need to take the wheel off to have access. Drain the system and put new fluid in. You will be able to tell if that is the probelm by the color of the fluid coming out. Milky gray is bad. I would also clean and or change the filters. I think one filter is lcoated in the engine compartment.....this is your main filter and looks similiar to an oil filter only bigger. You should also have a screen mesh type of filter located inside the cab by your right front foot. Clean that filter as well.

OP
OP
C

connor

See my post titled Hydraulic Oil...... I have a 555 which is very similiar to the 553. Had the same exact issue a few days agao. I drained the hyd. fluid......plug on the 555 is located on the outside of the machine behind the left front wheel. You will need to take the wheel off to have access. Drain the system and put new fluid in. You will be able to tell if that is the probelm by the color of the fluid coming out. Milky gray is bad. I would also clean and or change the filters. I think one filter is lcoated in the engine compartment.....this is your main filter and looks similiar to an oil filter only bigger. You should also have a screen mesh type of filter located inside the cab by your right front foot. Clean that filter as well.
I need a repair manual can you download one on line somewhere.Its weird sometimes you tap on the cylinders and it will work. I was thinking a check valve because it acts like the oil is pushing against each other.

92LX555

I need a repair manual can you download one on line somewhere.Its weird sometimes you tap on the cylinders and it will work. I was thinking a check valve because it acts like the oil is pushing against each other.
i am telling ya...I would start with the fluid quality and level. You may just need to add fluid but usually when you are just low the boom runs slow. Again, my 555 did the exact same thing and it was 100% fluid quality. A quick drain and re-fill did the job. With mine, my pedals still worked but it was almost as if they worked in the opposite direction ever so slightly. When the boom froze I could sit there for a few minutes and then it would work. Usually when it broke free the boom dropped very rapidly.

Earthwerks Unlimited

Does anyone else find it annoying when people can't take the time to create a workable title for a new thread so we don't have waste time seeing what the one-word thread is? Come on, "boom". Talk about lazy. There--I said it. Anyone got tweezers I can use to get this little hair out of my arse? LOL.

OP
OP
C

connor

Does anyone else find it annoying when people can't take the time to create a workable title for a new thread so we don't have waste time seeing what the one-word thread is? Come on, "boom". Talk about lazy. There--I said it. Anyone got tweezers I can use to get this little hair out of my arse? LOL.
If you dont want to help with the one word thread. They make That button on the computer that makes you scoll past it .I have a set of tweezers you can borrow. Look for the the post that says free tweezers for azz holes. LOL

Tazza

Staff member
If you dont want to help with the one word thread. They make That button on the computer that makes you scoll past it .I have a set of tweezers you can borrow. Look for the the post that says free tweezers for azz holes. LOL
Sorry i giggled at that!
I do agree though, when making a new thread it is better to post as much detail as possible in the title. I personally look at each and every thread, but later people that are looking for info to fix a problem may over look it.

Earthwerks Unlimited

Sorry i giggled at that!
I do agree though, when making a new thread it is better to post as much detail as possible in the title. I personally look at each and every thread, but later people that are looking for info to fix a problem may over look it.
Speaking of azz holes, ROGLMA-- it's painfully clear why you didn't make a complete thread title---after reading your post you can't even make a sentence that makes sense with all that bad grammar and spelling! And you're running a machine--yikes! Run for the hills Martha!! He's loose again!
This is a period: (.) This is a comma: (,) They re not interchangeable.
I have a thread for you called "go back to school" azz hole!
Oh, and welcome to the board. :p

92LX555

Speaking of azz holes, ROGLMA-- it's painfully clear why you didn't make a complete thread title---after reading your post you can't even make a sentence that makes sense with all that bad grammar and spelling! And you're running a machine--yikes! Run for the hills Martha!! He's loose again!
This is a period: (.) This is a comma: (,) They re not interchangeable.
I have a thread for you called "go back to school" azz hole!
Oh, and welcome to the board. :p
I know you guys are just giving Conner shit. You have been real helpful to me in the past. BUT, cut him some slack. For guys like Conner and myself that don't work on these machines and have never had one before, we just don't understand how they work and are too cheap to just send it to the shop. Manuals, etc are all great but it has been my experience that EVERY situation is a bit different and what works for one will not work for another. At least with me I always seem to find stuff that is unique and not a common problem. So if we can take the time to help Conner fix his issue lets do it.....and ok......you can give him shit for it if you want to.

skidsteer.ca

I know you guys are just giving Conner shit. You have been real helpful to me in the past. BUT, cut him some slack. For guys like Conner and myself that don't work on these machines and have never had one before, we just don't understand how they work and are too cheap to just send it to the shop. Manuals, etc are all great but it has been my experience that EVERY situation is a bit different and what works for one will not work for another. At least with me I always seem to find stuff that is unique and not a common problem. So if we can take the time to help Conner fix his issue lets do it.....and ok......you can give him shit for it if you want to.
I edited the title, lets try to get back on track.
Ken