new unit looking at NH L220 & Gehl 5240

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

I'm looking at buy a new skid steer that will be used around the farm. Will use it for snow work, tilling, rough cut mowing, odd round bale move. Will put about 50-75 hours a year on it. Looking to keep this unit for at least 10 years. I need a wife freindly unit. Have been looking in the 60 hp range. The units I have looked at are the Gehl 5240 & New Holland 220L. Not sold on any unit right now but leaning towards the NH. All comment will really help me make a choice. Thanks for your input Greenhorn

Tazza

Staff member
If you are torn between the two, i'd lean towards the NH too. The only down side is the engines, they are their own branded engines so they can be rather expensive.

SkidRoe

Can you find any Bobcat machines for sale in your area? Bobcat has an excellent support system, parts are readily available, and not too badly priced, in my opinion. Plus, the use a lot of off-the-shelf components (engines, hydraulics, etc.), so you do have options on parts.
The 763 is an excellent machine, but more in the 55 hp range. We have a 773F on the farm, it has also been a great machine.
What do you plan to do with your machine? What attachments are you thinking?
Cheers,
SR

OP
OP
S
Can you find any Bobcat machines for sale in your area? Bobcat has an excellent support system, parts are readily available, and not too badly priced, in my opinion. Plus, the use a lot of off-the-shelf components (engines, hydraulics, etc.), so you do have options on parts.
The 763 is an excellent machine, but more in the 55 hp range. We have a 773F on the farm, it has also been a great machine.
What do you plan to do with your machine? What attachments are you thinking?
Cheers,
SR
Thanks for the reply Will use it for snow work, garden & shelter belt tilling, rough cut mowing, odd round bale move about 100 meadow hay bales a year, and alround the yard work. This is to replace my old 175 massey 3 point hitch tractor. So I will be looking at a rough cut mower, bale forks, garden tiller, snow blade or blower, bucket smooth edge. Rough cut just to keep the edge of the fields from creeping in and maintain some trails, not going to clear the back 40. Will check with Bobcat and see how they compare. Checked out a JD but it seemed over priced compared to the other two. How does Cat compare? thanks greenhorn

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the reply Will use it for snow work, garden & shelter belt tilling, rough cut mowing, odd round bale move about 100 meadow hay bales a year, and alround the yard work. This is to replace my old 175 massey 3 point hitch tractor. So I will be looking at a rough cut mower, bale forks, garden tiller, snow blade or blower, bucket smooth edge. Rough cut just to keep the edge of the fields from creeping in and maintain some trails, not going to clear the back 40. Will check with Bobcat and see how they compare. Checked out a JD but it seemed over priced compared to the other two. How does Cat compare? thanks greenhorn
Not sure how it will go with a slasher (i assume you want a slasher for the rough mowing). Every turn it makes it will tear the ground up some, but the biggest issue is the power to the cutter. If the grass is heavy, you may have a hard time getting through it with standard flow on the machine, you may need to look at a higher flow machine to do a better job.
Hopfully someone else will put their nose in here that has a slasher and can advise how it went on their machine.

OP
OP
S
Not sure how it will go with a slasher (i assume you want a slasher for the rough mowing). Every turn it makes it will tear the ground up some, but the biggest issue is the power to the cutter. If the grass is heavy, you may have a hard time getting through it with standard flow on the machine, you may need to look at a higher flow machine to do a better job.
Hopfully someone else will put their nose in here that has a slasher and can advise how it went on their machine.
Going to test a Cat and a Bobcat tomorrow. Demoed the Gehl today seemed very rough. greenhorn

OP
OP
S
Going to test a Cat and a Bobcat tomorrow. Demoed the Gehl today seemed very rough. greenhorn
Tested a Cat 236B3 today nice unit did not like some of the servicing part, i.e. drain plug and a couple of the filters. Did like hydraulics over hydraulics and I'm kind of old fashion like less programing on the Cat. Computer stuff always scares me, I still like a key to start the machine. Ran the Bobcat S205 was a nice unit as well but would really like to try a S650. The Dealer has none in stock, says they it is going to be around the first part of Aug . Like the way Bobcat has their filters and oil drain right out front. Like the way you can see out of the S 205 unit. Not much price difference between the 236B and the S650. Any comments on either of these two units.

OP
OP
S
Tested a Cat 236B3 today nice unit did not like some of the servicing part, i.e. drain plug and a couple of the filters. Did like hydraulics over hydraulics and I'm kind of old fashion like less programing on the Cat. Computer stuff always scares me, I still like a key to start the machine. Ran the Bobcat S205 was a nice unit as well but would really like to try a S650. The Dealer has none in stock, says they it is going to be around the first part of Aug . Like the way Bobcat has their filters and oil drain right out front. Like the way you can see out of the S 205 unit. Not much price difference between the 236B and the S650. Any comments on either of these two units.
Yes the 236 & 650 are bigger machines than I set out to buy but I have found I like a bit bigger machine.

Tazza

Staff member
Yes the 236 & 650 are bigger machines than I set out to buy but I have found I like a bit bigger machine.
Never had any seat time in them.
The bigger machines will get the job done faster, but make sure access will not be an issue.
I don't know what controls the new Bobcat will have, but try as hard as you can to stay away from hand controls. When it's under warranty its not too bad, but out of warranty it can cost you a small fortune getting it repaired. Not to mention down time.
By hand controls i mean for lift and tilt, standard foot pedals are far more reliable.

OP
OP
S
ended up buy the bobcat 650S so far great machine. Have enjoyed doing the landscaping around the house. Very impressed with the handling ability. Will be interesting to see the job it does with snow, but that can weight. Mine you we do have a skiff on the ground today. Thanks for your in put on my new purchase, plan on having it for 10 years plus. SSG

SkidRoe

ended up buy the bobcat 650S so far great machine. Have enjoyed doing the landscaping around the house. Very impressed with the handling ability. Will be interesting to see the job it does with snow, but that can weight. Mine you we do have a skiff on the ground today. Thanks for your in put on my new purchase, plan on having it for 10 years plus. SSG
Wow, you must feel like you have gone to heaven compared to using a 3 point hitch loader!! Congrats on your purchase.