New to me 743

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

HanSolo

A week ago I made a trip up to Kentucky to buy a 743. I had been talking to the owner and here's the story behind this machine. He bought it at auction. It's got really low hours, less than 400 which is highly unusual for a Bobcat that old. But we're confident those hours are correct as all the maintenance stickers are present, the engine paint looks great and virtually no carbon build up on the exhaust. However, there's some bad corrosion on the front of the machine and cab. The Bob-tach is the worst but all the pins on the rams show no sign of wear. All the grease points are present. There's faint signs of US Air Force stickers on the boom arms so we suspect this machine was used by the Air Force to load salt or ice melt infrequently and mostly just sat at the stock pile. The seller had to replace the fuel pickup tube in the tank to get it to run. He also replaced the hydraulic hoses on the bucket and right boom arm. Another couple hoses failed off the hydraulic pump and I'll probably have to replace a few more. The cab was a full enclosure (at one time) but the door is missing. Sliding side windows are there but the rear window is gone. There's a cab heater that I pulled last night to test and the blower fan is working fine. The tires are decent with about 60% left but the wheels are rusty. I've changed the motor oil, filter and drained most of the chain case oil and freshened with 30W. Hydraulics are working great and the controls are tight with little bushing wear. It came without a bucket but I've got the 66" GP for the 843 that's practical new. The fork attachment fits well but I'll have to change the aux hydraulic couplers to mate with my backhoe attachment. I can scavenge those from my 843. I also swapped the 843 Bob-tach levers and pins as the ones on the 743 were toast. I'll post some photos next.

walio123

Sincerely, I think you've got a good machine. Let him serve you for a long time

Tazza

Staff member
I'm really glad you bought that machine, you may have saved me some money.
A 743 will serve you well.
The hard part will be freeing up any rusty parts on the bucket. The rust doesn't look too bad, i had one that had large pieces of flaking rust where the axles go into the chain case, i cleaned it up and worked just fine.

OP
OP
HanSolo

HanSolo

A 743 will serve you well.
The hard part will be freeing up any rusty parts on the bucket. The rust doesn't look too bad, i had one that had large pieces of flaking rust where the axles go into the chain case, i cleaned it up and worked just fine.
Yeah, getting those Bob-tach pins free was a real challenge. Lots of PB Blaster, torch heat and beating with a mallet. One of the attaching bolts sheared off so that had to be drilled out and re-tapped. It's still much tighter attachment than I ever had with the 834.

walio123

Yeah, getting those Bob-tach pins free was a real challenge. Lots of PB Blaster, torch heat and beating with a mallet. One of the attaching bolts sheared off so that had to be drilled out and re-tapped. It's still much tighter attachment than I ever had with the 834.
Yes, it is difficult to move these pins, especially when they have been in contact with salt and not cleaned afterwards. I use vinegar mixed with diesel fuel - 2 parts vinegar and one diesel. Plug the liquid into an empty bottle of glass cleaner with sprayer and spraying. Sometimes even water works better than WD or PB on salt rust. Vinegar eat the rust and the diesel lubricates. I lift the bucket at the height of my shoulders and tap at the bottom on te pins with a small hammer just to create a vibration so the liquid can penetrate. So several times. I try to move the handles a little. If you have enough patience and perseverance ... after 3-4 hours you can succeed. :)

Tazza

Staff member
Yes, it is difficult to move these pins, especially when they have been in contact with salt and not cleaned afterwards. I use vinegar mixed with diesel fuel - 2 parts vinegar and one diesel. Plug the liquid into an empty bottle of glass cleaner with sprayer and spraying. Sometimes even water works better than WD or PB on salt rust. Vinegar eat the rust and the diesel lubricates. I lift the bucket at the height of my shoulders and tap at the bottom on te pins with a small hammer just to create a vibration so the liquid can penetrate. So several times. I try to move the handles a little. If you have enough patience and perseverance ... after 3-4 hours you can succeed. :)
Interesting, i'll have to give that a go next time.

OP
OP
HanSolo

HanSolo

Interesting, i'll have to give that a go next time.
Over the weekend I mounted the 2" trailer balls for my backhoe attachment. I was going to use 2" square steel tube but it was less expensive to buy two receiver hitches complete with the balls at Walmart ($19.99 each). I used a cutting wheel on my grinder and cut off all but about 1/2" of the receiver tube, cleaned up the rust on the ROPS and welded those jokers on. Pretty solid mount. That ROPS structure is a tad flimsy and I may have to reinforce with some bar stock but this will work for some light trenching. Next up is replacing some leaky hoses and re-fitting the cab heater.  photo 20190209_102845_zpsmprbybpa.jpg  photo 20190209_110311_zpsvg9hm7ld.jpg

North Idaho Wolfman

Over the weekend I mounted the 2" trailer balls for my backhoe attachment. I was going to use 2" square steel tube but it was less expensive to buy two receiver hitches complete with the balls at Walmart ($19.99 each). I used a cutting wheel on my grinder and cut off all but about 1/2" of the receiver tube, cleaned up the rust on the ROPS and welded those jokers on. Pretty solid mount. That ROPS structure is a tad flimsy and I may have to reinforce with some bar stock but this will work for some light trenching. Next up is replacing some leaky hoses and re-fitting the cab heater.
Your ball mounts are way too high, they also should be attached to the frame not the roll cage. If you want picks of the stock mounts just ask.

OP
OP
HanSolo

HanSolo

Your ball mounts are way too high, they also should be attached to the frame not the roll cage. If you want picks of the stock mounts just ask.
Not ideal height for sure but they mounts are correct placed for the jerry rigged arms. Note that this backhoe attachment is designed for the later series machine. I fabricated those arms to fit my 843 with the ball hitches bolted directly to the chain case in front of the ROPS (where there happened to be holes already). In this application the attachment mounts near vertical with the boom arms completely lowered. I noted that the 743s smaller chassis doesn't give the ground clearance that the backhoe had on the 843. So I'll travel with the arms slightly raised to avoid scraping the ground. That's also a pretty heavy attachment for this smaller machine. I am curious about OE attachment to the correct model backhoe attachment. I did quite a bit of research on that and it was surprising how many different attachment points were designed by Bobcat over all the series machines.

OP
OP
HanSolo

HanSolo

Not ideal height for sure but they mounts are correct placed for the jerry rigged arms. Note that this backhoe attachment is designed for the later series machine. I fabricated those arms to fit my 843 with the ball hitches bolted directly to the chain case in front of the ROPS (where there happened to be holes already). In this application the attachment mounts near vertical with the boom arms completely lowered. I noted that the 743s smaller chassis doesn't give the ground clearance that the backhoe had on the 843. So I'll travel with the arms slightly raised to avoid scraping the ground. That's also a pretty heavy attachment for this smaller machine. I am curious about OE attachment to the correct model backhoe attachment. I did quite a bit of research on that and it was surprising how many different attachment points were designed by Bobcat over all the series machines.
Here's the attachment type that I attempted to replicate...  photo 8008_zps4919ad95.jpg Verses the attachment type that my 709 back had...  photo 20130603_132304_zps1293c37b.jpg And some of the fabrication I did...  photo 20130609_160041_zps2695ab1e.jpg  photo 20130609_155947_zpsc522ada4.jpg

TimberHole

I hope to mount a Bobcat 709 hoe on my S150. Post any pics you have please. I don't understand the mounts and feel like I need to understand the mounts so I can be sure I get the right parts with a used machine.

Wayne440

I hope to mount a Bobcat 709 hoe on my S150. Post any pics you have please. I don't understand the mounts and feel like I need to understand the mounts so I can be sure I get the right parts with a used machine.
HanSolo- I have a pair of the stock 742/743 Ball type backhoe mounts that I would consider selling if that helps you. I already own a Vermeer trencher/backhoe and am not likely to use one on the Bobcat. They sit considerably lower than your fabricated mounts, using the 4 holes immediately below the cab/ROPS on each side.

OP
OP
HanSolo

HanSolo

HanSolo- I have a pair of the stock 742/743 Ball type backhoe mounts that I would consider selling if that helps you. I already own a Vermeer trencher/backhoe and am not likely to use one on the Bobcat. They sit considerably lower than your fabricated mounts, using the 4 holes immediately below the cab/ROPS on each side.
Thanks Wayne but I'll pass on those for now. All the heavy trenching is done on my property and probably all I'll use the backhoe for is leaks in the water service or septic. My jerry rigged mounts should work well for those tasks.

Treegator2016

Thanks Wayne but I'll pass on those for now. All the heavy trenching is done on my property and probably all I'll use the backhoe for is leaks in the water service or septic. My jerry rigged mounts should work well for those tasks.
You posted your retiring the 843. Would you be interested in parting or selling the hydraulic valve control for the 843? I'm in florida helping Hurricane Michael Disaster Victims remove tree debris and could use some help myself.

Dmc10140

Wayne, do you still have the mounts for sale?

Dmc10140

I would still "consider selling" them, if you are within reasonable distance to come get them and bring cash. I'm in KY.
Definitely far away but I can pay shipping. Send me an email and we can work. If you could post a picture it would be helpful.