My experience putting automotive 4G32/G32B engine in 742B.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tjacobson01

My experience putting automotive 4G32/G32B engine in 742B. I recently purchased a nice 742B with 1400 hours for cheap, where the 4G32 Mitsubishi engine had spun a big end bearing (a fairly common problem I understand) and the No. 1 rod went through the block. (BTW, it still ran! The No. 1 piston was stuck at the top of the cyl, we ran it to load it on the trailer… LOL. ;-) Since a refurbished 4G32 engine with no core to trade in (my core and crank was ruined) runs upward of $3.5K to 4K, I decided to try to use an automotive block. Here is what I learned during this project. It looks to me like the 4G32 industrial engine used in 90's vintage Bobcats (642B/742B) is based on the late 70's early 80's timing belt version of the RWD 4G32 automotive engine, also called the G32B in some versions (Note pre 1977/8 versions had a gear drive cam shaft, that wont work). There are two major versions of the 4G32/G32B engine, one with "balance shafts" and one without, and it also comes in a FWD transverse version that has different mounts and would not work. I used a the RWD balance shaft version of the G32B engine typically used in a early 80's Dodge Arrow/Challenger/Colt. and had to go through all sorts of monkey business to do it, as outlined below. It is worth your while to find a 4G32/G32B block that does not have the modified casting to support the balance shafts and uses the same oil pump as the industrial 4G32 in the Bobcat. (Note: some rebuilders remove the shafts and call it a non-balance shaft version, you need the one without the casting changes to the block.) - Had to move the starter about an inch further around to clear the balance shaft housing. Did this by using a jig saw to cut out a half moon in the existing hole and welding it to the other side of the hole and grinding flat. Use a dial-indicator to get it exactly right, and check bendix gear clearance at flywheel with some .020 wire, as if the bendix jams, you will burn up your starter and battery as it will hold the solenoid on…. - Had to move one of the counterweight plates under the oil pan forward a bit by drilling new 1/2 in holes in it to clear the oil pan. - Automotive oil pan uses different thread, so could not use the drain hose. - Governor bolts right up. - Had to cut one or two small ¼ in. notches out of other engine mount plates due to small differences in casting, but all major bolts were otherwise in alignment and same size. Flywheel area engine mounts were exactly the same, and flywheel flange was the same. - Had to reuse my original Bobcat head, as the automotive head has goofy MCA valves, higher compression, probably different cam shaft grind, and also older timing belt tooth shape (square vs rounded tooth on newer belts). - Balance shaft version uses different oil pump, so had to find different oil pump sprocket with newer style teeth for timing belt, and use timing belt for newer style balance shaft engine that has two more teeth and new style tooth shape. (Contact me for the Mitsubishi p/n for the belt and sprocket if anyone is foolish to use a balance shaft version of this engine like I did) - Reuse the Bobcat crankshaft timing sprocket and spacer. - Had to make a little 1 in. bracket for the alternator casting as one bolt is different. - Had to cut the timing belt cover plastic a bit. If you rebuild an automotive engine for your Bobcat 642B/742B, suggest you try to use the industrial engine pistons, they are a bit lower compression (not too much different, but once you mill the head, it all adds up). Anyway, using the non-balance shaft block is the way to go, and s/b a direct fit and almost identical to the industrial engine block. Not sure how many of the non-balance shaft versions were made/sold in the US. Suspect they may have been used in compact pickups, but that most auto versions had the balance shafts, which are, a big pain. (The balance shaft idea is patented by Mitsubishi, and the only other manufacturer to use it is Porsche!) If I had to do this over again, I think I would look into using a modern replacement crate engine that has an electronic governor, s/b fairly easy to figure out the drive coupler and cooling connections I would think, and worth the effort. T.

Tazza

Staff member
Wow, you sure have put a lot of work into this! For most people, geting a shop to do this work would cost them more than a rebuild.
You are happy with the results?

OP
OP
T

tjacobson01

Wow, you sure have put a lot of work into this! For most people, geting a shop to do this work would cost them more than a rebuild.
You are happy with the results?
Well, yes, happy, but as you point out, I spent waaaay too much time on it, and you would never want to pay somebody to do this. If a person can find the non-balance shaft version of the 4G32 block, s/b straight forward. I posted this mostly because a number of people have asked the question about using the automotive version of the 4G32 in their 642B/742B... I suspect good 4G32 blocks are getting hard to find to rebuild.... and I am basically saying, don't try it with the balance shaft version. But, as I say at the end, if I had it to do over, I would do a conversion to some new third party crate engine, as the benefits of the newer engine would be worth the effort of adapting the drive coupling and fan, like having a modern electronic ignition and governor....

jvinup

I have a 742b that spun bearing block and everything is good just can't find rebuild parts would the automotive rebuild kit work for the bobcat engine.

BG Scapes

Wow ! Very cool !
Probably an upgrade in power or at least a bit smoother with the balance shaft . Congratulations on finishing it up .

dfb

Impressive effort! I have minor challenges keeping mine going compared to your experiences. This article certainly does impress upon me keeping up with the maintenance on mine.....today might be the day the oil gets changed.

jvinup

My experience putting automotive 4G32/G32B engine in 742B. I recently purchased a nice 742B with 1400 hours for cheap, where the 4G32 Mitsubishi engine had spun a big end bearing (a fairly common problem I understand) and the No. 1 rod went through the block. (BTW, it still ran! The No. 1 piston was stuck at the top of the cyl, we ran it to load it on the trailer… LOL. ;-) Since a refurbished 4G32 engine with no core to trade in (my core and crank was ruined) runs upward of $3.5K to 4K, I decided to try to use an automotive block. Here is what I learned during this project. It looks to me like the 4G32 industrial engine used in 90's vintage Bobcats (642B/742B) is based on the late 70's early 80's timing belt version of the RWD 4G32 automotive engine, also called the G32B in some versions (Note pre 1977/8 versions had a gear drive cam shaft, that wont work). There are two major versions of the 4G32/G32B engine, one with "balance shafts" and one without, and it also comes in a FWD transverse version that has different mounts and would not work. I used a the RWD balance shaft version of the G32B engine typically used in a early 80's Dodge Arrow/Challenger/Colt. and had to go through all sorts of monkey business to do it, as outlined below. It is worth your while to find a 4G32/G32B block that does not have the modified casting to support the balance shafts and uses the same oil pump as the industrial 4G32 in the Bobcat. (Note: some rebuilders remove the shafts and call it a non-balance shaft version, you need the one without the casting changes to the block.) - Had to move the starter about an inch further around to clear the balance shaft housing. Did this by using a jig saw to cut out a half moon in the existing hole and welding it to the other side of the hole and grinding flat. Use a dial-indicator to get it exactly right, and check bendix gear clearance at flywheel with some .020 wire, as if the bendix jams, you will burn up your starter and battery as it will hold the solenoid on…. - Had to move one of the counterweight plates under the oil pan forward a bit by drilling new 1/2 in holes in it to clear the oil pan. - Automotive oil pan uses different thread, so could not use the drain hose. - Governor bolts right up. - Had to cut one or two small ¼ in. notches out of other engine mount plates due to small differences in casting, but all major bolts were otherwise in alignment and same size. Flywheel area engine mounts were exactly the same, and flywheel flange was the same. - Had to reuse my original Bobcat head, as the automotive head has goofy MCA valves, higher compression, probably different cam shaft grind, and also older timing belt tooth shape (square vs rounded tooth on newer belts). - Balance shaft version uses different oil pump, so had to find different oil pump sprocket with newer style teeth for timing belt, and use timing belt for newer style balance shaft engine that has two more teeth and new style tooth shape. (Contact me for the Mitsubishi p/n for the belt and sprocket if anyone is foolish to use a balance shaft version of this engine like I did) - Reuse the Bobcat crankshaft timing sprocket and spacer. - Had to make a little 1 in. bracket for the alternator casting as one bolt is different. - Had to cut the timing belt cover plastic a bit. If you rebuild an automotive engine for your Bobcat 642B/742B, suggest you try to use the industrial engine pistons, they are a bit lower compression (not too much different, but once you mill the head, it all adds up). Anyway, using the non-balance shaft block is the way to go, and s/b a direct fit and almost identical to the industrial engine block. Not sure how many of the non-balance shaft versions were made/sold in the US. Suspect they may have been used in compact pickups, but that most auto versions had the balance shafts, which are, a big pain. (The balance shaft idea is patented by Mitsubishi, and the only other manufacturer to use it is Porsche!) If I had to do this over again, I think I would look into using a modern replacement crate engine that has an electronic governor, s/b fairly easy to figure out the drive coupler and cooling connections I would think, and worth the effort. T.
Would a automotive 4g32 rebuild kit work for bobcat 4g32 engine.

Sczmtns

Would a automotive 4g32 rebuild kit work for bobcat 4g32 engine.
I have just finished rebuilding my 4G32. Finding parts was difficult. There seem to be a lot of different versions of the 4G32 out there. I was able to piece together parts but did not find a kit that worked (there are some that show available online but I found they were not actually available, just displayed that way)
The 4G32 engine in mine was already a replacement engine, which further complicated the search. In the end I was able to find a gasket kit, new valves, oversized main and rod bearings... the oversized pistons were specifically marked G32B - which were the hardest part to find and the closest match to the ones in the engine I had.
During my research on valves I cross referenced many valves and they all seemed to have different specifications with some showing a commercial version of the engine and others not...
I would be very cautious about using an automotive rebuild kit, if you can check the specs and get a cross reference as well as checking them with what you currently have you may be able to find all the pieces that will work for you.
I am hoping to post more about what I found during my rebuild but it may be a while.

Latest posts