My Bobcat 610 axle seal repair. Cheap but good.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

6brnorma

No….they did not change the design. Thankfully, I live in a very dry climate and have not had to deal with that problem often. You are at the point in your rebuild when you find all the nasty surprises these buggers throw your way. Lookin' good.
That area under the hydraulic valve is always bad…..I've done a couple that I literally thought I was going to compromise the fuel tank while cleaning it. Did you go to clean metal before applying the galvanized coat?

OP
OP
alchemysa

alchemysa

That area under the hydraulic valve is always bad…..I've done a couple that I literally thought I was going to compromise the fuel tank while cleaning it. Did you go to clean metal before applying the galvanized coat?
I went at it with a wire wheel on an angle grinder, then phosphoric acid, then a high pressure spray, before applying a good thick coat of cold galv. And it'll get 3 or 4 of coats of enamel in those spots. Its not perfect but I don't think it will be a problem anymore. (At least not in my lifetime). This Bobcat won't have to endure the conditions it once did.

6brnorma

I went at it with a wire wheel on an angle grinder, then phosphoric acid, then a high pressure spray, before applying a good thick coat of cold galv. And it'll get 3 or 4 of coats of enamel in those spots. Its not perfect but I don't think it will be a problem anymore. (At least not in my lifetime). This Bobcat won't have to endure the conditions it once did.
Did you use the spray or brush on? Is that better then the "Bondo" type products?

OP
OP
alchemysa

alchemysa

Or ….. how about the POR-15
I've never seen POR-15 over here, although it may be available. And Bondo is not a name I'm familiar with either.
Phosphoric acid is the active ingredient in POR-15 Metal Prep. It turns rust back into steel and leaves a slight rust preventative coating but it needs to be painted fairly soon. After cleaning off as much loose rust as possible I brush it on, leave it for an hour or so then pressure spray it off. When its dry again it leaves the bare metal a nice grey color. I've got a 20 litre tub of the stuff. (Concrete companies often use it to clean the rust off their metal form work).
Cold galv was just my abbreviation for Cold Galvanising Paint. (i.e. paint with a heap of zinc in it). You'd have that I'm sure.
Over that I've just used a few coats of ordinary oil based white enamel.

eyebrowski

I've never seen POR-15 over here, although it may be available. And Bondo is not a name I'm familiar with either.
Phosphoric acid is the active ingredient in POR-15 Metal Prep. It turns rust back into steel and leaves a slight rust preventative coating but it needs to be painted fairly soon. After cleaning off as much loose rust as possible I brush it on, leave it for an hour or so then pressure spray it off. When its dry again it leaves the bare metal a nice grey color. I've got a 20 litre tub of the stuff. (Concrete companies often use it to clean the rust off their metal form work).
Cold galv was just my abbreviation for Cold Galvanising Paint. (i.e. paint with a heap of zinc in it). You'd have that I'm sure.
Over that I've just used a few coats of ordinary oil based white enamel.
Alchemysa, would you be able to share who reconditioned your axle? Any idea if they'd like to do another?

OP
OP
alchemysa

alchemysa

Alchemysa, would you be able to share who reconditioned your axle? Any idea if they'd like to do another?
eyebrowski, I reconditioned them myself apart from getting the axles lathed to take the 50mm stainless steel tube sleeves.
The above article is a bit lengthy but basically is was just a matter of procuring some relatively common 50mm (2") stainless steel tube and pressing it over the axles to provide new surfaces for the seals.
An easier method on axles that are less chewed up than mine is to use the Bobcat axle seal repair kit.
I think the Bobcat seal repair kit is not too expensive in the U.S., but I'm in Australia, where parts are very pricey, so I chose to go with my own repair method.

wings5j

eyebrowski, I reconditioned them myself apart from getting the axles lathed to take the 50mm stainless steel tube sleeves.
The above article is a bit lengthy but basically is was just a matter of procuring some relatively common 50mm (2") stainless steel tube and pressing it over the axles to provide new surfaces for the seals.
An easier method on axles that are less chewed up than mine is to use the Bobcat axle seal repair kit.
I think the Bobcat seal repair kit is not too expensive in the U.S., but I'm in Australia, where parts are very pricey, so I chose to go with my own repair method.
I just wanted to say thank you for the thread post. It is really nice to see all the good pictures along with the explanations and details. My 742B is in decent shape but one of these days I still need to tackle some hydraulic leaks and I know that the help from this forum will make it easier. John

OP
OP
alchemysa

alchemysa

I just wanted to say thank you for the thread post. It is really nice to see all the good pictures along with the explanations and details. My 742B is in decent shape but one of these days I still need to tackle some hydraulic leaks and I know that the help from this forum will make it easier. John
Wings5j... thank you for the comments. The thread is lot more interesting and makes more sense now that photobucket have restored the pics.

CharlieNH

Wings5j... thank you for the comments. The thread is lot more interesting and makes more sense now that photobucket have restored the pics.
I'm early in the process of replacing the left front axle seal. I have the hub partially pulled out (using a puller set-up), so that the shaft is out of the inner bearing, and I have the big 2 inch nut off. However, I haven't yet been able to get the shaft out of the sprocket. It seems stuck and I don't want to damage the sprocket of chain with it banging around inside as I try to get it out the rest of the way. I could use any suggestions or advice about this step. Relatedly, will it be this hard to get it all back in? Thanks.

CharlieNH

I'm early in the process of replacing the left front axle seal. I have the hub partially pulled out (using a puller set-up), so that the shaft is out of the inner bearing, and I have the big 2 inch nut off. However, I haven't yet been able to get the shaft out of the sprocket. It seems stuck and I don't want to damage the sprocket of chain with it banging around inside as I try to get it out the rest of the way. I could use any suggestions or advice about this step. Relatedly, will it be this hard to get it all back in? Thanks.
IGNORE MY PREVIOUS POST. I got it out with a little more pulling.

OP
OP
alchemysa

alchemysa

Finally putting stuff back together. What should I be torquing the inner axle nuts too?
If you mean the big nut around the axle, I have no real idea. I didnt have a tool that could measure the torque of that thing anyway. I just did up till it I thought it was comfortably tight.

eyebrowski

If you mean the big nut around the axle, I have no real idea. I didnt have a tool that could measure the torque of that thing anyway. I just did up till it I thought it was comfortably tight.
I'm asking about the castle nut on the inside end of the axle. I am concerned about putting to much load on the bearings. I think I am good on the big nut since that bottoms out on the axle.

6brnorma

I'm asking about the castle nut on the inside end of the axle. I am concerned about putting to much load on the bearings. I think I am good on the big nut since that bottoms out on the axle.
Actually… the large nut (axle sprocket nut) needs 450 ft-lbs of torque. The castle nut would be like any other axle/bearing nuts….don't overload it and tear the bearings out. Frankly, I put them a little tighter then a trailer axle as there is no high RPM to be concerned with.

OP
OP
alchemysa

alchemysa

Actually… the large nut (axle sprocket nut) needs 450 ft-lbs of torque. The castle nut would be like any other axle/bearing nuts….don't overload it and tear the bearings out. Frankly, I put them a little tighter then a trailer axle as there is no high RPM to be concerned with.
"Actually… the large nut (axle sprocket nut) needs 450 ft-lbs of torque."
Your right of course. Now I remember reading that and wondering how you measure it. I have a torque wrench for sockets but nothing that can measure torque on a big 'spanner' so I just did it up as tight as I comfortably could.
As for the inner castle nut, yes the usual axle 'method'. Tighten it up till it binds than back it off fraction.

OP
OP
alchemysa

alchemysa

"Actually… the large nut (axle sprocket nut) needs 450 ft-lbs of torque."
Your right of course. Now I remember reading that and wondering how you measure it. I have a torque wrench for sockets but nothing that can measure torque on a big 'spanner' so I just did it up as tight as I comfortably could.
As for the inner castle nut, yes the usual axle 'method'. Tighten it up till it binds than back it off fraction.
By the way, 6brnorma, this is how I fixed the the jack shaft bearings in the end. I replaced the allen screws with longer threads and locked them with a nut and spring washer. Most importantly I also drilled a good size indent into the shaft so the bearing can't slip. I also removed the seal from the inner side of the bearing so that its constantly lubricated by oil that gets thrown around in the chain case. If you look closely you can see that the ball bearings are visible. I dunno if this is a good idea but I guess I'll find out.
Note to other 610 owners... 6brnorma tells me these are not actually the correct bearings. The original bearings have a locking collar, but they have often been replaced by these bearings with allen screws. The allen screws on there own are pretty useless for this purpose. They either fall out or just lose their grip and let the shaft spin in the bearing.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

6brnorma

By the way, 6brnorma, this is how I fixed the the jack shaft bearings in the end. I replaced the allen screws with longer threads and locked them with a nut and spring washer. Most importantly I also drilled a good size indent into the shaft so the bearing can't slip. I also removed the seal from the inner side of the bearing so that its constantly lubricated by oil that gets thrown around in the chain case. If you look closely you can see that the ball bearings are visible. I dunno if this is a good idea but I guess I'll find out.
Note to other 610 owners... 6brnorma tells me these are not actually the correct bearings. The original bearings have a locking collar, but they have often been replaced by these bearings with allen screws. The allen screws on there own are pretty useless for this purpose. They either fall out or just lose their grip and let the shaft spin in the bearing.
"Your right of course. Now I remember reading that and wondering how you measure it. I have a torque wrench for sockets but nothing that can measure torque on a big 'spanner' so I just did it up as tight as I comfortably could."
I made two plates to match the face of the axle….one is set up for a slide hammer and the other is set up with a 1" nut so I can use a socket and torque wrench. Works very slick.

OP
OP
alchemysa

alchemysa

"Your right of course. Now I remember reading that and wondering how you measure it. I have a torque wrench for sockets but nothing that can measure torque on a big 'spanner' so I just did it up as tight as I comfortably could."
I made two plates to match the face of the axle….one is set up for a slide hammer and the other is set up with a 1" nut so I can use a socket and torque wrench. Works very slick.
(6brnorma) "I made two plates to match the face of the axle….one is set up for a slide hammer and the other is set up with a 1" nut so I can use a socket and torque wrench. Works very slick."
Doh!! Of course, you've got the torque wrench on the axle not the nut. (The answer is obvious when someone else points it out!)

Latest posts