My 853H restoration project begins...will be looking for some guidance

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kilohertz

So I finally landed a big machine, an 853H bought site unseen, and hopefully not completely trashed. It was a stolen recovery and is missing the bucket and Bob Tach mounting frame, the rear rad cover, starter, seat and probably a few other items, but I am hopeful I will be able to get her running and not have to rebuild the entire machine...we'll see. I'm off to pick it up on Monday, and have a question about weight, I think it is 6500lbs ready to run, but what would it weigh without the bucket, and Bob tach mounting plate, steel rad cover, seat and starter? I have a 7000lb car hauler which should take it just fine, I just don't want to make an 8 hour round trip and find out I'm overloaded. Looking forward to a fun restoration project. Pictures to follow when I get her home. Looks like it still has the Izuzu engine in it, and am hopeful all the hydro drives and pump are fine... Any ideas on where to find the Bob tach mounting plate for one of these, without going to Bobcat? Any idea on cost for a good used one? Now to start reading historical posts on the 853. Cheers

OP
OP
kilohertz

kilohertz

Forgot to ask...what machines would have the same Bob Tach mount, lift arm spacing, pin locations etc? ie 753, 763 etc? I need to broaden my search beyond just the 853 if possible. thanks

skidsteer.ca

Forgot to ask...what machines would have the same Bob Tach mount, lift arm spacing, pin locations etc? ie 753, 763 etc? I need to broaden my search beyond just the 853 if possible. thanks
You are going to have a full load. Also I hope you have operated a 853 or 863 model before so you know about the servo controls for the steering. They lack feedback to the operator and make it hard to control the machine for fine movements like picking up your attachment. I had one I rented out but green operators had a hard time with that unit compared to the 763 or s175 s185 machines. One guy nearly drove it over my trailer fenders just trying to go forward off the trailer. It was a bit agrivating to myself and I have @ 2000 hours in the seat of skidsteers As for the bobtach the 753 763 had a narrower machine frame and smaller pins for the Bobtach so I don't think one will fit without considerable modification. I have a set of backhoes hooks for a 853 if you are ever looking for those. Ken

They are a load. I had one not balance properly on my first move, with a heavy tandem axle trailer and almost put the F350 sideways at 45 mph. They are very... touchy on the steering. I have never driven another skid steer though, so do not have anything to compare to it. Always wear your seatbelt. The Izuzu in mine does not seem to use any oil at 3000 hrs. I just need to figure out what is blocking the fuel from the tank. I hope you do not have to change the pickup tube. My hands looked like I took a meat clever to them when I was done.

SkidRoe

They are a load. I had one not balance properly on my first move, with a heavy tandem axle trailer and almost put the F350 sideways at 45 mph. They are very... touchy on the steering. I have never driven another skid steer though, so do not have anything to compare to it. Always wear your seatbelt. The Izuzu in mine does not seem to use any oil at 3000 hrs. I just need to figure out what is blocking the fuel from the tank. I hope you do not have to change the pickup tube. My hands looked like I took a meat clever to them when I was done.
A 7000 trailer capacity is usually based on the axle rating, so the weight of the trailer needs to be deducted from the rating. If the trailer weighs 2000 lbs, your maximum rated payload is 5000 lbs. I have a 7000 lb trailer, and I get nervous hauling our 773 on it. We typically move it around on our 12,000 lb equipment float. Even with the stuff that is missing, you are likely only looking at about a 700 lb weight reduction. I would recommend borrowing a 10,000 lb trailer to move this machine. Rental fee is cheap insurance against a breakdown or a ticket. FWIW - SR

7LBSSMALLIE

A 7000 trailer capacity is usually based on the axle rating, so the weight of the trailer needs to be deducted from the rating. If the trailer weighs 2000 lbs, your maximum rated payload is 5000 lbs. I have a 7000 lb trailer, and I get nervous hauling our 773 on it. We typically move it around on our 12,000 lb equipment float. Even with the stuff that is missing, you are likely only looking at about a 700 lb weight reduction. I would recommend borrowing a 10,000 lb trailer to move this machine. Rental fee is cheap insurance against a breakdown or a ticket. FWIW - SR
don't do it dude. its an empty piggy bank you got no idea of how many 1000. dollar bills youre goining to waste. REALITY. a perfectly restored 853. value maybe 6500. count on inj pump and inj rebuild. new gear pump misch hoses. bobtach another grand. let alone a compression check on pwr plant to see if eng is viable. checked specs yesterday should 300 to 500, no more than 50 psi difference. pretty paint sells a lot of machines. barnum and baily.

OP
OP
kilohertz

kilohertz

Well I'm trying to post some pics here but I can't get it to work in IE, Chrome or FF. I was able to a few years ago but something must have changed on my computers 'cause notin' works now. I also can't seem to find a test forum to try different methods...is there a way to test without clogging up the main forums? Well it's a done deal so no backing out now, I will either restore it or scrap it if anything major comes into play. Your market is obviously different than ours, western Canada, I have been looking for 2 years at prices and anything running in decent shape of 90's vintage goes for $10K-$15K. Low hours in really good shape up to $20K so I can put a fair bit of money into this machine and still be way ahead, in our market. Once i figure out how to post pics, I'll do it, but in the meantime getting ready for the trip Monday. Cheers

SkidRoe

Well I'm trying to post some pics here but I can't get it to work in IE, Chrome or FF. I was able to a few years ago but something must have changed on my computers 'cause notin' works now. I also can't seem to find a test forum to try different methods...is there a way to test without clogging up the main forums? Well it's a done deal so no backing out now, I will either restore it or scrap it if anything major comes into play. Your market is obviously different than ours, western Canada, I have been looking for 2 years at prices and anything running in decent shape of 90's vintage goes for $10K-$15K. Low hours in really good shape up to $20K so I can put a fair bit of money into this machine and still be way ahead, in our market. Once i figure out how to post pics, I'll do it, but in the meantime getting ready for the trip Monday. Cheers
Here is a post that explains picture posting:
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=2445
Only works in IE.
HTH - SR

OP
OP
kilohertz

kilohertz

Here is a post that explains picture posting:
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=2445
Only works in IE.
HTH - SR
Thanks SR, already found that but it doesn't work for me. I'm using IE 11, going to try to roll back to 8, it always seemed to work. Thanks

SkidRoe

Thanks SR, already found that but it doesn't work for me. I'm using IE 11, going to try to roll back to 8, it always seemed to work. Thanks
I find sometimes it helps if you put the website into compatibility mode. Just a shot in the dark...

OP
OP
kilohertz

kilohertz

I find sometimes it helps if you put the website into compatibility mode. Just a shot in the dark...
Well by jinkies we have liftoff! Uninstalled IE11 and put back IE8, much to the dislike of WIN7.
Anyways, let's see if we have paragraphs again...yeah...and a picutre as a test...more later.
http://www3.telus.net/radioboy/bucket%201.JPG

OP
OP
kilohertz

kilohertz

Well by jinkies we have liftoff! Uninstalled IE11 and put back IE8, much to the dislike of WIN7.
Anyways, let's see if we have paragraphs again...yeah...and a picutre as a test...more later.
Well I can post pics again, so here are the rest that I have so far. Think the picture size is okay??
http://www3.telus.net/radioboy/IMG_1209small.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/radioboy/IMG_1207small.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/radioboy/7087756_Small1.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/radioboy/7087756_Small2.jpg

OP
OP
kilohertz

kilohertz

Looks like quite a project. I take it you got it for "the right price"?
Well, yes, in our market it's the right price. I see in the US these sell for $6-$8K, here $10-$18K, but also our dollar is in the toilet right now, so what would be $3K in the US, we would have to pay $4K. So $3.3K CDN with it being saleable at minimum $10K leaves me lot's of room to get it going. As it was stolen, it must have been running, or maybe it was on a trailer???
Anyway, I'm not too concerned about it right now....if I can get the engine running, test the hydraulics and drives, chains etc...get some air in the tires...I can then start to look for the missing bits, which may be a challenge, we'll see. After studying the pictures, it looks like the instrument panels may be missing as well, not sure if it was BOSS or just gauges...again, find out tomorrow.
So for those of you with parts machines..I need the Bobtach plate, instrument panels, seat, radiator grill, maybe more....I'll post in the classifieds as well.
Cheers

7LBSSMALLIE

Well, yes, in our market it's the right price. I see in the US these sell for $6-$8K, here $10-$18K, but also our dollar is in the toilet right now, so what would be $3K in the US, we would have to pay $4K. So $3.3K CDN with it being saleable at minimum $10K leaves me lot's of room to get it going. As it was stolen, it must have been running, or maybe it was on a trailer???
Anyway, I'm not too concerned about it right now....if I can get the engine running, test the hydraulics and drives, chains etc...get some air in the tires...I can then start to look for the missing bits, which may be a challenge, we'll see. After studying the pictures, it looks like the instrument panels may be missing as well, not sure if it was BOSS or just gauges...again, find out tomorrow.
So for those of you with parts machines..I need the Bobtach plate, instrument panels, seat, radiator grill, maybe more....I'll post in the classifieds as well.
Cheers
so done deal ok. movinining forward. A a run compression test on eng should be 3oo to 500 with no more than 50 psi difference between cyls. lift pump should deliver 37 psi to inj pump. if pwr plant ok. test hyds. this you can feel put it in the dirt.

7LBSSMALLIE

so done deal ok. movinining forward. A a run compression test on eng should be 3oo to 500 with no more than 50 psi difference between cyls. lift pump should deliver 37 psi to inj pump. if pwr plant ok. test hyds. this you can feel put it in the dirt.
I wish you well my friend. hope it works out

OP
OP
kilohertz

kilohertz

I wish you well my friend. hope it works out
Home safe and sound after a full days drive...my new machine is sitting out in the driveway on the trailer...I managed to get air in the front tires before the rainstorm got here...try to get the back tires inflated tomorrow.
Manual says the machine can be towed 25', no more. Is that in it's lifetime? In a half hour period, every 10 minutes? It's a very vague statement. I know the hydrostats will be complaining but I want to get it off the trailer but don't want to buggar anything up inside.
Thanks

ChandlerW

Home safe and sound after a full days drive...my new machine is sitting out in the driveway on the trailer...I managed to get air in the front tires before the rainstorm got here...try to get the back tires inflated tomorrow.
Manual says the machine can be towed 25', no more. Is that in it's lifetime? In a half hour period, every 10 minutes? It's a very vague statement. I know the hydrostats will be complaining but I want to get it off the trailer but don't want to buggar anything up inside.
Thanks
How is the 720 looking nowdays?

SkidRoe

Thanks
Finding used parts in Canada could be painful. That said there is a tractor wrecking yard not to far from me that does get the occasional skidsteer in from time to time:
http://www.fawcett.cc/
If they don't have what you are looking for, they may know of someplace that does.
Happy Hunting - SR