mustang 940 pivot pin removal?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

iwillhaveacrack

mustang 940 pivot pin removal? hi i am new here and i have an old 940 for my hobby farm, she is a good old machine and has paid its self a few times over now but she has couple of small issues. i would like to remove the bucket and check out the pivot pin cond (the ones that the bucket pivot on) and install new grease nipples as i have plated the front for extra strength as there was cracking in the arms aroud this area but i have tried to remove them without success. i removed the tilt pins no worries but the pivots seem to be stuck. i removed the retaining bolt and tried to push the through inside to out with a 12ton bottle jack and they did not even move...what am i missing? thanks

OldMachinist

I'm not familiar with how the Mustang pins are but if they are like the Bobcat pins the bolt pulls the pin into a taper in the lift arm. To remove the Bobcat pins you loosen the bolt and hit it with a big hammer to knock taper free. Then remove the bolt and push the pin thru.
A picture of the Mustang lift arms and bucket may help here for someone to give you a answer.

dewadict

on my 330 it was just an easy tap out with a dowel after removing the retaining bolts. Is it possible someone snuck in a roller pin of some sort to act as a spacer for a smaller diameter bolt than what should be used?

cwh

My pivot pins are welded in (bummer) so I can't speak to that pin specifically. I've pulled several others in order to install new zerks or inspect. There is a 3/8 coarse threaded hole in the end of the pin, and what I have done is to insert a bolt until it bottoms out, and then give it a twist with a rachet. That has always popped it free fairly easily, and then I can usually pull it out by the bolt. That being said, if it isn't coming out with a 12 ton jack, it sounds like it is more than bound/siezed. If you are sure there is nothing in the cross-bolt hole, maybe a liberal dose of penetrating oil and some movement (tilting bucket up/down) would help. Also making sure that the pin is not under tension before applying pressure might be worth a shot.