Mixing 10w30 and Hydraulic fluid

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

spinner

Hi guys, Does anyone know if mixing a bit of 10w30 in with the hydraulic fluid can cause any damage? Why would I do this you ask? Well, not intentionally of course, however, I recently sold my older 853 which I was running 10w30 in the hydraulic system. I just bought a spanky new S205, which, needless to say, I am running hyraulic fluid. Here's the problem. I run over and dump my bucket off, pick up my old grapple forks, which were last used on my 853, hook 'em up, and start to use them when I realize...oooops. Now I have contaminated my new hyraulic fluid with 10w30 from the forks. Any thoughts?

Tazza

Staff member
My local dealer says it shouldn't cause a problem. Hope they're right.
I see no problems either. It will only be a small amount in the lines and cylinders. The only concern i would have is if it was still under warranty. I hear the dealers can try and get out of warranty claims if you don't use their fluid. If its not covered, don't worry about it, that oil won't hurt a thing.

Fabricator

I see no problems either. It will only be a small amount in the lines and cylinders. The only concern i would have is if it was still under warranty. I hear the dealers can try and get out of warranty claims if you don't use their fluid. If its not covered, don't worry about it, that oil won't hurt a thing.
I wonder how much of a problem it would become with renting attachments? You'd have both new and old loaders using them, so there would be the possibility of swapping oil and hydraulic fluid back and forth through the attachments.

skidsteer.ca

I wonder how much of a problem it would become with renting attachments? You'd have both new and old loaders using them, so there would be the possibility of swapping oil and hydraulic fluid back and forth through the attachments.
The real fussy guy won't rent or borrow attachments they say, but I have never had a problem and my attachment go everywhere.
Ken

Chandler

The real fussy guy won't rent or borrow attachments they say, but I have never had a problem and my attachment go everywhere.
Ken
When renting attachments, I also have thought about the hydraulic oil mixing with the oil in my machine and wondering what type of oil and how clean it is. That is why I quit buying the expensive Bobcat hydraulic oil that has the dye in it. I suppose as long as I rent attachments I will need to change the hydraulic filter more often.

skidsteer.ca

When renting attachments, I also have thought about the hydraulic oil mixing with the oil in my machine and wondering what type of oil and how clean it is. That is why I quit buying the expensive Bobcat hydraulic oil that has the dye in it. I suppose as long as I rent attachments I will need to change the hydraulic filter more often.
If your real concerned about this, remove the one coupler and purge the attachment with the oil from your loader.
Ken

bobbie-g

never thought about doing that which one? top or bottom hose?
Regarding mixing: my T180 manual says 10W30 is OK for hydro fluid, although I can't quote chapter and verse on that at the moment. But I did read it in there. I did a flush using 10W30 for a few rinses. Last fill I did with Bobcat juice, so I'm about 80% Bobcat stuff and 20% 10W30, and I'm feeling OK with that. -- Ken suggested I drain the system using the aux connectors. I swiped a connector/hose off my grapple, hooked it up to the lower Bobcat connector, and it worked really slick. Pump the stuff out till it runs dry. Fast and simple. No, I didn't keep running the pump after it quit spitting out fluid. Just stopped when it quit squirting. The "output" connector on both my T180 and 751 is the lower connector, which is the larger diameter one. I hesitate to say male or female, as it depends on which part you're referring to. Having said the lower is the output, it of course depends on whether you are running the aux hydraulics in the normal direction or the reverse direction. In the reverse direction, the upper smaller connector becomes the output. Confusing enough? :) ---RC

Regarding mixing: my T180 manual says 10W30 is OK for hydro fluid, although I can't quote chapter and verse on that at the moment. But I did read it in there. I did a flush using 10W30 for a few rinses. Last fill I did with Bobcat juice, so I'm about 80% Bobcat stuff and 20% 10W30, and I'm feeling OK with that. -- Ken suggested I drain the system using the aux connectors. I swiped a connector/hose off my grapple, hooked it up to the lower Bobcat connector, and it worked really slick. Pump the stuff out till it runs dry. Fast and simple. No, I didn't keep running the pump after it quit spitting out fluid. Just stopped when it quit squirting. The "output" connector on both my T180 and 751 is the lower connector, which is the larger diameter one. I hesitate to say male or female, as it depends on which part you're referring to. Having said the lower is the output, it of course depends on whether you are running the aux hydraulics in the normal direction or the reverse direction. In the reverse direction, the upper smaller connector becomes the output. Confusing enough? :) ---RC
Hey folks! =) I came across this thread and thought I'd share the official word from Bobcat on this question. We get asked about this quite frequently at the dealership I work for (due to the fact that Bobcat used to ok this in their manuals). I just wanted everyone to be aware that this is no longer suggested or recommended. If you check a revised or current operation or service manual, the part about using 10W30 has been omitted. Here's the official release from Bobcat Company: "Bobcat Hydraulic/Hydrostatic Fluid is specially blended for use with Bobcat hydraulic and hydrostatic systems. Bobcat Fluid has been developed to meet the growing demands placed on hydraulic components, while engine oil is designed to meet requirements for use as an engine lubricant. Because of this, engine oil is no longer an acceptable alternative fluid for Bobcat hydraulic and hydrostatic systems. Viscosity. Engine oil viscosity is typically much higher than the acceptable limit of hydraulic fluid. Hydraulic fluid is designed for high pressure applications and with viscosity to operate effectively throughout a wide temperature range. Additives. Bobcat Fluid contains more zinc and phosphorus anti-wear additives than other brands of hydraulic fluid. Zinc and phosphorus adhere to metal surfaces of hydraulic components and act as a coating to separate moving parts. Additives in engine oils do not have the same anti-wear properties. Demulsibility. Under operating conditions hydraulic fluid is designed to separate water, engine oils typically absorb water. Foaming. Most engine oil is not formulated to prevent foaming. Foam is a contaminate that lowers performance, decreases filtration and can cause premature hydraulic component failure."

As far as the advice to "...pump the stuff out till it runs dry..." This is NOT something that anyone should be doing to drain their hydraulic system. Running your pumps dry can lead to very costly damage, premature failure and lots of $ in repairs. So unless you have an extra $4,500 lying around for a new pump set, I'd stick with the manufacturer's recommended procedure, which is to drain the tank by lifting the cab and removing a hose from the bottom of the reservoir. Be sure to change your spin on filter as well as your case drain filters while you're under there =)

rnbuck01

As far as the advice to "...pump the stuff out till it runs dry..." This is NOT something that anyone should be doing to drain their hydraulic system. Running your pumps dry can lead to very costly damage, premature failure and lots of $ in repairs. So unless you have an extra $4,500 lying around for a new pump set, I'd stick with the manufacturer's recommended procedure, which is to drain the tank by lifting the cab and removing a hose from the bottom of the reservoir. Be sure to change your spin on filter as well as your case drain filters while you're under there =)
I wouldnt worry about mixing Fluids.