LS170 Low Oil Pressure

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

irvi00

2001 LS170, after working for about an hour the EIC starts beeping and showing low engine oil pressure. After 30 seconds the machine shuts itself down. Oil is good, full and clean. Disconnected the oil sender wire and machine runs normal with no warning beeps and lights. I have yet to work the machine with the wire disconnected, only at idle. Any ideas or suggestions?

mfyock

Those engines have been known to break the oil pump drive shaft, causing the engine to lock up or throw a rod. Judging by the fact that everything is working ok, I would guess that the sender went bad.

skidsteer.ca

Those engines have been known to break the oil pump drive shaft, causing the engine to lock up or throw a rod. Judging by the fact that everything is working ok, I would guess that the sender went bad.
Likely the sender went south, but install a guage and check you oil pressure to be sure.
skidsteer.ca

OP
OP
irvi00

irvi00

Likely the sender went south, but install a guage and check you oil pressure to be sure.
skidsteer.ca
OK, changed oil and filter, new oil pressure sender, same thing, EIC shows low oil pressure and shuts the machine down. Installed a gauge where the sender goes, ran for an hour and pressure never fell below 40 psi. Going to install the gauge in the cab and permantly remove the sender. Question is, if I unhook the sender wire will the EIC keep recognizing low pressure and keep shutting the machine down?

mfyock

OK, changed oil and filter, new oil pressure sender, same thing, EIC shows low oil pressure and shuts the machine down. Installed a gauge where the sender goes, ran for an hour and pressure never fell below 40 psi. Going to install the gauge in the cab and permantly remove the sender. Question is, if I unhook the sender wire will the EIC keep recognizing low pressure and keep shutting the machine down?
I am not sure if the sender grounds or opens when oil pressure is low. It should be as simple as grounding the wire, or leaving the wire ungrounded and you can foul the ECM.

OP
OP
irvi00

irvi00

I am not sure if the sender grounds or opens when oil pressure is low. It should be as simple as grounding the wire, or leaving the wire ungrounded and you can foul the ECM.
OK, still no resolution. Mounted a gauge in the cab piped to the fitting where the oil pressure switch goes. Taped the wire for the sender up so it cant ground. Gauge is showing a steady 48 psi of oil pressure so that eliminates actual low oil pressure. Worked machine for about 15 minutes, low oil pressure warning starts beeping and in 30 seconds shut the machine down. Started back up and got machine to the shed and started beeping again. Parked it and now back to square one. I assume this narrows it down to a problem in the EIC. I really dont want to buy a new EIC as they are expensive, but I need my skid steer up and running for firewood season. Does anyone know if there is a way to bypass this stuff or any alternative I have? Thanks for the help?

Mike10

OK, still no resolution. Mounted a gauge in the cab piped to the fitting where the oil pressure switch goes. Taped the wire for the sender up so it cant ground. Gauge is showing a steady 48 psi of oil pressure so that eliminates actual low oil pressure. Worked machine for about 15 minutes, low oil pressure warning starts beeping and in 30 seconds shut the machine down. Started back up and got machine to the shed and started beeping again. Parked it and now back to square one. I assume this narrows it down to a problem in the EIC. I really dont want to buy a new EIC as they are expensive, but I need my skid steer up and running for firewood season. Does anyone know if there is a way to bypass this stuff or any alternative I have? Thanks for the help?
Don't get mad, but are you positive it is the engine oil light and not the hyd oil pressure light?
I am fairly certain that the engine oil pressure sender is grounded when there is no oil pressure present. You can check this with an ohm meter. If it is the engine oil pressure light you may have a wire shorted to ground. To check if it is the EIC, remove the instrument panel. There are two connectors on the back. In one of the connectors is a y/b wire. It should be the #7 pin in the connector. Check for continuity between this pin and the end that attaches to the oil pressure sender. If you have continuity you know you have the correct wire. Check for contiuity to ground from pin 7 to ground. If there is continuity they you have a wiring problem. You can remove the wire end from the connector. With the wire removed reconnect the connector to the EIC. Doing this you have eliminated all other possibilities for the alarm sounding except for the EIC.

OP
OP
irvi00

irvi00

Don't get mad, but are you positive it is the engine oil light and not the hyd oil pressure light?
I am fairly certain that the engine oil pressure sender is grounded when there is no oil pressure present. You can check this with an ohm meter. If it is the engine oil pressure light you may have a wire shorted to ground. To check if it is the EIC, remove the instrument panel. There are two connectors on the back. In one of the connectors is a y/b wire. It should be the #7 pin in the connector. Check for continuity between this pin and the end that attaches to the oil pressure sender. If you have continuity you know you have the correct wire. Check for contiuity to ground from pin 7 to ground. If there is continuity they you have a wiring problem. You can remove the wire end from the connector. With the wire removed reconnect the connector to the EIC. Doing this you have eliminated all other possibilities for the alarm sounding except for the EIC.
Thanks for responding Mike. Yes it is the engine oil pressure light, I double checked with the manual before I opened my mouth. Matter of fact I triple checked because I'm prone to jumping too quick! I'm going to check the things you mentioned this weekend. Thanks for your advice! Biggest thing that makes me mad is an electrical problem has my machine shut down, computers and microchips have no place on industrial machinery! Anyways, I will let you know what I find out! Thanks again.

hotdogsL553

Thanks for responding Mike. Yes it is the engine oil pressure light, I double checked with the manual before I opened my mouth. Matter of fact I triple checked because I'm prone to jumping too quick! I'm going to check the things you mentioned this weekend. Thanks for your advice! Biggest thing that makes me mad is an electrical problem has my machine shut down, computers and microchips have no place on industrial machinery! Anyways, I will let you know what I find out! Thanks again.
Mr. irvi00: Please keep us posted on what you find. I am like you, no computers please. Being trained by my Father and the USMC, I operate using the KISS method. The up front cost of equipment is so high, it would be good to not have to go to the bank every time you need a part or repair. I have heard of on going research of disposable automobiles. There is no hood to access the engine compartment. Thanks, Hotdog

jerry

Mr. irvi00: Please keep us posted on what you find. I am like you, no computers please. Being trained by my Father and the USMC, I operate using the KISS method. The up front cost of equipment is so high, it would be good to not have to go to the bank every time you need a part or repair. I have heard of on going research of disposable automobiles. There is no hood to access the engine compartment. Thanks, Hotdog
I think the computerized shutdown systems are what fleet owners and rental places want. The machines cost too much to depend on some underpaid and possibly inexperienced operator to monitor all of the systems. Of course in time they fail but by then the fleet owner has replaced them with a new one. Should be a homeowner model and a rental model.

OP
OP
irvi00

irvi00

I think the computerized shutdown systems are what fleet owners and rental places want. The machines cost too much to depend on some underpaid and possibly inexperienced operator to monitor all of the systems. Of course in time they fail but by then the fleet owner has replaced them with a new one. Should be a homeowner model and a rental model.
Mike10, you are my hero! Took down the EIC and located the oil pressure sender wire, right where you said it would be. Pulled it out of the connector and taped it up and away. Worked the machine for about two hours straight in the woods pulling out logs with not one single warning beep! Apparently the wire was rubbing and grounding somewhere between the sender and EIC. Now with a gauge in the cab the sender is not necessary. If you ever get down to Georgia, look me up, I owe you a cold beer! Thanks again!

Mike10

Mike10, you are my hero! Took down the EIC and located the oil pressure sender wire, right where you said it would be. Pulled it out of the connector and taped it up and away. Worked the machine for about two hours straight in the woods pulling out logs with not one single warning beep! Apparently the wire was rubbing and grounding somewhere between the sender and EIC. Now with a gauge in the cab the sender is not necessary. If you ever get down to Georgia, look me up, I owe you a cold beer! Thanks again!
Glad you got it going.

roryrhodes

Good Morning - A year later, did the oil pressure switch issue ever create additional problems? Same issue here this weekend, warning lights, then a 30 second shut down while moving manure piles. Sounds like a pretty straight forward fix, I'll try to replace the sensor first, and check for oil pressure with a guage to make sure nothig internal is an issue. Where in North Georgia? My LS170 came from Mason a couple years back and only has 500 hours.