LS140 Starter Issue After Engine Rebuilt

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Frederick

I am having starter issues after my engine rebuild. It requires 2 to 4 start tries / cycles to get the starter (pinion gear) to engage the ring gear. Before it engages, you get grinding / spinning. When it does engage, starts right away. Please note that getting the machine going after the rebuild took some long cycles of running the starter for 20 to 30 secs at a time. Did this harm the starter? Is it possible that new piant on starter / bell housing is causing a low voltage condition but I don't understand how it would ever start? Have also used a second car batt. w/ jumper cables for a boost and made no difference. Is the starter gear / clutch / solenoid not able to engage the ring gear as well now with the rebuild at full compression it does not move / turn as easy? Am I now looking at a weak starter in need of a rebuild? Options to get a rebuild kit or starter? Thanks, Fred

mllud

Frederick
If it starts right up when it does engage the motor itself is probably ok.The solenoid has a plunger that pushes the bendix gear to mesh with the flywheel.
The solenoid could be sticking or the bendix could be sticking tn the shaft.The problem is in that area.
I would get it rebuilt. The fact that its grinding on the flywheel could damage the flywheel. The bendix gear teeth are beveled on the edge that engages with the flywheel. It only takes grinding once or twice and that bevel is damaged and the problem just keeps getting worst.
You can buy the solenoid and starter drive/bendix and replace them yourself. Its not to dificult. I dont know that it wouldnt be better to have it rebuilt by a shop. Thet will also put bushings in the motor.
The bendix gear is a little softer metal than the flywheel but you dont want to damage the flywheel
Sorry to here that it ended up costing so much on the rebuild the engine.You should reap the benefits in the long run. Mike

Earthwerks Unlimited

A loose starter will do the same thing. My buddy's LX665 does this same thing. He claims it's a bad flywheel ring gear. I'm not so sure it is. It's been that way since he got it 6 years ago and hasn't gotten any worse. It may skip one out of 50 times than go away Before he got it it came from a commercial incinerating plant that really abused it. I feel it's a bad bushing in the starter nose and or a worn pinion gear on the starter and/or a worn motor shaft. I'd just get it to a rebuilder that specializes in starters and have them look at it. Tell them how it wants to skip when it engages. You can also find new a rebuilt ones on eBay for a reasonable cost. A lot of times that starter will fit many cars, trucks and machines so you may luck out and not have to pay a lot.