LX865 Starter bolt

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

TBONE58

New Holland LX865, built 1999. Need to replace starter. Can't get to 3rd bolt located between starter and engine...super tight fit. Can anyone please advise exact type/size tools to use? I have moved air filter, fuel line, and throttle cable. Thanks!

Shanmar

Been awhile since I've fought with that. But, I'm thinking a long extension or two and swivel to get to a ratchet behind the starter. 3/8" drive size may be best for space.

OP
OP
T

TBONE58

Thank you. I've tried and it seems like 3/8" is even too thick. Do you think 1/4" will snap? The dealership put the last starter in and torqued those bolts down pretty tight.

Shanmar

Hmm. Dunno. Maybe can you swap swivel/extensions around so that thinnest areas of extensions are in the tightest areas??? But I'm pretty sure this is how we approached it. I don't know I would trust 1/4" drive--or at least make sure the brand has a good warranty.

OP
OP
T

TBONE58

Thank you for your help, I'll keep after it. Problem, too, is that of course I'm working through the booms since it's down and the machine won't start...and I don't have anything else to lift the boom up. BTW I'm assuming I'd need to crack open the hydraulic lines to lift the boom? Would I have to disconnect the pins in the solenoids as well to move it, or are those just to lock the pedals in place? Thanks again!

Shanmar

Oh boy. That'd be a real fight even if you knew exactly how to get to it.
To lift the boom, you can open the hydraulic lines (both ends). Or, in your situation, we usually had someone in the seat, go through the start procedure to get the hydraulic lockouts released and they hold the left pedal back for boom lift. And then another loader lifts the boom and then they lock out the boom when high enough. You have to (should) put a large block under the rear because the loader with rare back on rear axle before boom raises. Of course, none of this helps if you don't have another loader.
Not sure what to do in your situation. No neighbors with a loader of any type? Tee in to the hydraulic lines with another hydraulic source (tractor?)???

OP
OP
T

TBONE58

I'm managing, just have to be a contortionist to get at everything. I appreciate your thoughts on how to raise the boom. Was wondering if an engine "cherry picker" has enough lifting force to get that boom up although I'm not sure if it would lift it high enough anyway.
I'll let you know how it goes.

polishpete

its a tight fit but dueable i did it sometiems u have to remove the cap screw from injection pump

Topcat1952

New Holland LX865, built 1999. Need to replace starter. Can't get to 3rd bolt located between starter and engine...super tight fit. Can anyone please advise exact type/size tools to use? I have moved air filter, fuel line, and throttle cable. Thanks!
Yes it is a bbbbbb.... remove the ground from the battery.... remove the elect fuel pick up pump...... with a swivel 15 mm ( I think) you can sneak it behind the starter with a 6-inch 3/8 drive extension.... I know it's difficult... also you can use 15mm swivel socket- two in extension--a 1-inch flex extension 3/8 drive and then add the 6-inch to get past the starter for your ratchet... Good luck

OP
OP
T

TBONE58

Thank you for your advice. I did manage to complete this a few weeks back doing essentially exactly as you suggested. Once the "stars aligned" it wasn't terrible. Too bad there's not a way to lift the booms when the engine won't start...that would have made this so much easier. Appreciate your willingness to help.