Looking for a Skid Steer fixxer-upper -- Suggestions? Recommendations? Nightmares to avoid?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

DMoneyAllstar

My old man is retiring and he's the kind of guy that will never really stop working. He wanted to mow, but its turned boring and a few bad-seed customers took any remaining enjoyment out of it. So...he wants a skid steer. And I, being his DIY-engineer-fix-everything-son, am on a mission to find a project. I know I want a hydrostat (not wet clutches), need something bigger than a mini (i.e. bigger Bobcat 1816) that will load 1000-1500lbs or more, and want something 1980's or newer. Will be for moving burm-stone, sand, snow, and soil. Engine replacement, engine rebuild, cylinder seals, hydro rebuild (as long as parts exist), hyd/rad plumbing, bolt-ons, tires, electrical, aesthetics...not a problem for me. Looking to spend $1000-$2000 on a "project" that doesn't need more than another $1500 of parts. Aux hydraulics would be a big plus to run our wood splitter. Recommendations? Things to avoid? Also, someone told me there is a bog skid steer graveyard somewhere in Illinois -- where is this place at? Thanks! Dan A.

SkidRoe

I think your budget is a little thin. You should probably plan to spend up to $6000-7000 total to do it right, but you may get lucky (just be warned, if it sounds too good to be true, it is!!)
I would look for a Bobcat 743 - they have been around for a while, were a really great machine, and fits pretty much everything you are looking for, except for maybe the price.
Good luck on your quest!!

OP
OP
D

DMoneyAllstar

I think your budget is a little thin. You should probably plan to spend up to $6000-7000 total to do it right, but you may get lucky (just be warned, if it sounds too good to be true, it is!!)
I would look for a Bobcat 743 - they have been around for a while, were a really great machine, and fits pretty much everything you are looking for, except for maybe the price.
Good luck on your quest!!
Yep, I try to keep investments thin to support my motto "I never lose money on anything", haha. I've found a project Bobcat 743, just waiting for a price. And its 6hrs away. Also found an old Bobcat M-550 which is only an hour away. But in my opinion, is too old. Has no cage and motor is shot, however it is a clean machine. Has the CVT clutch on it -- while I know a good amount amount CVT's -- its not exactly the hydrostat I'm desiring. There are running diesel Case models around here for ~$3000. So I may end up buying a good-priced runner and then overhauling it.

Mikefromcny

Yep, I try to keep investments thin to support my motto "I never lose money on anything", haha. I've found a project Bobcat 743, just waiting for a price. And its 6hrs away. Also found an old Bobcat M-550 which is only an hour away. But in my opinion, is too old. Has no cage and motor is shot, however it is a clean machine. Has the CVT clutch on it -- while I know a good amount amount CVT's -- its not exactly the hydrostat I'm desiring. There are running diesel Case models around here for ~$3000. So I may end up buying a good-priced runner and then overhauling it.
True "Deals" are few and far between. I paid $3500 for a rough looking but good overall shape 743 a few years ago. I put tires, paint and other odds and ends on it and sold it for $6000 when I found my 873. If I were you guys, id look for a 743/753 with a bad engine and find a decent running engine out of a OTR Reefer trailer. IMHO the old clutch drive machines are more of a homeowner type machine now. I couldnt imagine using my 610 for make a living.

SkidRoe

I agree with Mike - you won't be happy with a clutch machine. I borrow my neighbour's 610 from time to time when I need a little more lifting power (and I am too lazy to drive 40 minutes to go get the 773). Yes, it does the job, but I am way more at home in the hydro machines these days.
Hope the 743 works out for you. Keep us posted

adsmith72

I agree with Mike - you won't be happy with a clutch machine. I borrow my neighbour's 610 from time to time when I need a little more lifting power (and I am too lazy to drive 40 minutes to go get the 773). Yes, it does the job, but I am way more at home in the hydro machines these days.
Hope the 743 works out for you. Keep us posted
Your budget is to thin. No way you can fix one up right for that kind of money. I bought a 642b that had caught fire.(gas engine) Got it for $1500. Which was a steal. But still ended up with $5000. In it after I bought used kubota diesel , radiator, and lots of small parts. But I now have a very nice machine, that isn't constantly needing some small repair. You can find the v1305 or v1505 kubota diesel engine reasonable. They are about 35 hp they were used in golf course equipment. They are easy to retrofit. Always check the wheel bearings changing them is a real job. Not impossible, but make sure its figured into the price if they are loose.

Tazza

Staff member
Your budget is to thin. No way you can fix one up right for that kind of money. I bought a 642b that had caught fire.(gas engine) Got it for $1500. Which was a steal. But still ended up with $5000. In it after I bought used kubota diesel , radiator, and lots of small parts. But I now have a very nice machine, that isn't constantly needing some small repair. You can find the v1305 or v1505 kubota diesel engine reasonable. They are about 35 hp they were used in golf course equipment. They are easy to retrofit. Always check the wheel bearings changing them is a real job. Not impossible, but make sure its figured into the price if they are loose.
It is easy to get in pretty deep.
I bought a 743 years ago for i think $2,500, when it was all done and running, i had close on 12k into it. It was fully rebuilt and did some good work till it found a new home.