Looking at Bobcat 864 TL

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dozer

I am looking at moving from a skidsteer to a track loader for my buisness of cleaning barns. Some barns in the spring are no more than pits and the extra flotation from the tracks would I feel be helpful. That brings me to my primary question. I have a local dealer selling a 864 bobcat with cab and heat. The bucket is in good shape and the tracks seem to have most of their tread left. What I would like to know is 1. I believe this was Bobcats first attempt at a tracked skidsteer and how did it go? 2. What things should I look for whil test driving a used Track Loader. It has 2500 hours and was previously owned by a landscaping company. thanks Dozer

Fishfiles

Yes the 864 was the prototype or guinne pig if you will , I'd look at driv train , idlers , rollers ans sprockets , that's where the money can go , check the drive motors and see if they have been upgraded , you can tell by the sprocket , if the off set from the flat face of the sprocket to the face of the hub is 2 inches it's the old style and I'd stay away from the machine , if the off set is 4 inches it's the newer style , I doubt a 864 with 2500 hours still has the original travel motors but you never know

Iowa Dave

You've already been warned about the early drive motors-heed that advice. I would really question buying a tracked loader for cleaning barns-- 1)you will spend TONS of time trying to wash out all the crap (literally) from up in behind the undercarriage 2) MAYBE--I still wouldn't for your application-- if you are keeping your SSL, but if you are trading/selling your wheeled machine, you will really regret having a tracked loader as your only machine 3) You better have a heated parking spot in the winter. Otherwise a tracked machine will be frozen and immobile unless you spend LOTS and LOTS of time cleaning it any time you get in mud/manure. 4) Spinning around loading spreaders will tear up the tracks PRONTO. You must operate a CTL different than a SSL--more ""round" turns, and stay off concrete, or $4-5 K for new tracks. It took a while to get the tracked machines fairly dependable, and an 864 isn't in that camp. If its only soupy for while in the spring, why not rent a CTL for a month each spring??

OP
OP
dozer

dozer

So you feel it would be wise for me to invest in some steel tracks for that particular season then? I also do some work for people in town landscaping, removing rock and such. I imagine the steel tracks must destroy grass, sidewalks, and driveways? what do you think? And although I have read dang near every post in the CTL threads. If you wouldn't want a CTL for working in soupy manure. Which is as soft as anything I have ever worked in. What would you want it for. Is all the 90 and 180 degree turns you do in a barn that hard on the machines? I guess that would bring me to my next question. If all the pinpoint turns are that hard on a CTL how hard are they on a SS with steel tracks? thanks for all the help so far. ANd sorry about all the questions I am just trying to get some ideas. Although on that 864G there will be one dissapointed Bobcat salesman. thanks Dozer

Fishfiles

So you feel it would be wise for me to invest in some steel tracks for that particular season then? I also do some work for people in town landscaping, removing rock and such. I imagine the steel tracks must destroy grass, sidewalks, and driveways? what do you think? And although I have read dang near every post in the CTL threads. If you wouldn't want a CTL for working in soupy manure. Which is as soft as anything I have ever worked in. What would you want it for. Is all the 90 and 180 degree turns you do in a barn that hard on the machines? I guess that would bring me to my next question. If all the pinpoint turns are that hard on a CTL how hard are they on a SS with steel tracks? thanks for all the help so far. ANd sorry about all the questions I am just trying to get some ideas. Although on that 864G there will be one dissapointed Bobcat salesman. thanks Dozer
There are situations where either or would do the job , sometimes one better than the other , but in the end it's a trade off and the one that had the least problems and cost would be the best , go with the machine that suits your need the biggest percentage of the time ------ from what it sound to me you want to achieve I'd say stay away from the 864 especially or any tracked loader and use tracks over the tires , the long term maintance / repairs cost is going to be a lot less , they are expensive but steel tracks with rubber inserts are nice to work on pavement jobs where damage is required to a minimal but where out fast , compared up keep on a T series machine especially used and the amount it sounds you need it , wheels and ott tracks -------yeah , steel tracks do a number on lawns

bobcat_ron

There are situations where either or would do the job , sometimes one better than the other , but in the end it's a trade off and the one that had the least problems and cost would be the best , go with the machine that suits your need the biggest percentage of the time ------ from what it sound to me you want to achieve I'd say stay away from the 864 especially or any tracked loader and use tracks over the tires , the long term maintance / repairs cost is going to be a lot less , they are expensive but steel tracks with rubber inserts are nice to work on pavement jobs where damage is required to a minimal but where out fast , compared up keep on a T series machine especially used and the amount it sounds you need it , wheels and ott tracks -------yeah , steel tracks do a number on lawns
Don't do it, a CTL will have issues with the drive motors when packed with manure, even my Cat MTL I am nervous and I pressure wash the entire undercarriage immediately after.
My recommendation is steel OTT tracks with rubber pads, that way your drive motors are inside and better protected.