Lexan for Homeade Door

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
mllud

mllud

I found this source for you. They seem to have quite a few different shapes, materials, etc. I've seen several of these used in the boating industry as edge trim. You might also have a look at motor home parts & repairs too. They also use this stuff.
http://www.outwater.com/promo/uchannel/?gclid=CJum6pDG5ZMCFRUdsgodwkTBaA
Are you looking for just a trim cover or something that would be used in fastening or hingeing?
They have what I am looking for.I think they only sell 100ft coils. Im looking for a channel to serve as an insulator between the Lexan and the frame.In going to build a frame to hinge from.
I could probably use an old inertube.Ill search my supplies. Thanks Mike

Bandit1047

They have what I am looking for.I think they only sell 100ft coils. Im looking for a channel to serve as an insulator between the Lexan and the frame.In going to build a frame to hinge from.
I could probably use an old inertube.Ill search my supplies. Thanks Mike
The U chanel that I used had a rubber weather strip attached. They use this in many applications around doors in excavators to trucks, I just don't know where you would find a small 10 ft. piece. I did use a router to cut the edge down to about .175 to fit the U channel to the door. Lowe's carries a rubber weatherstrip with glue on one side that may work for you. I think you can get it in sizes about 1/4 X 1" or 1/2 X 1" .Joe

OP
OP
mllud

mllud

The U chanel that I used had a rubber weather strip attached. They use this in many applications around doors in excavators to trucks, I just don't know where you would find a small 10 ft. piece. I did use a router to cut the edge down to about .175 to fit the U channel to the door. Lowe's carries a rubber weatherstrip with glue on one side that may work for you. I think you can get it in sizes about 1/4 X 1" or 1/2 X 1" .Joe
joe
I did find something very similar on a auto restoration website. That makes a clean edge. Ive seen that same material used to hold seat covers on around the edges,only without the weatherstrip. I think this company should have what I need. I havent called to see what lengths they sell. http://www.trimco.info/edge-trim.html Your pictures helped give me some direction. Especially with the hinges. Thanks Mike

langoley

joe
I did find something very similar on a auto restoration website. That makes a clean edge. Ive seen that same material used to hold seat covers on around the edges,only without the weatherstrip. I think this company should have what I need. I havent called to see what lengths they sell. http://www.trimco.info/edge-trim.html Your pictures helped give me some direction. Especially with the hinges. Thanks Mike
If you are still looking for a door there is one on Ebay , it is at $100 right now,shipping is kind of high at $97.00.

OP
OP
mllud

mllud

hi mike,
got any pics of your project?
steve
Steve
I will get some. My son got married and took his digital camera with him.
Your up to three N/H loaders. Thats a sign that your doing something. Now is a good time to buy a good used skid steers. I cant believe what they are selling for. Ill get the pictures by the end of the week .
Mike

xtreem3d

Steve
I will get some. My son got married and took his digital camera with him.
Your up to three N/H loaders. Thats a sign that your doing something. Now is a good time to buy a good used skid steers. I cant believe what they are selling for. Ill get the pictures by the end of the week .
Mike
mike,
congrats on the wedding !!!!
as far as the skids go i have been fairly patient looking on the "net" at sales and auctions (ebay) so for once i really got a few good deals , will keep an eye out for some pics
steve

Earthwerks Unlimited

My New Holland manual says the door is 1" thick. When choosing a plastic material you have not only consider cost but the type of material too--Lexan is soft and not as rigid by nature as acrylic. Lexan being soft means it scratches easily unless it is hard-coated which adds to the cost. You'll have to be very careful how you clean the window too--most likely you won't be able to use anything but a spray bottle and a soaked rag to gently clean it--and dust will scratch it---so forget about using a windshield wiper. Then there is optical clarity: since it will likely be at a slight angle, it could have refractive characteristics sort of like when you look through water --things aren't really where they are. And how you mount is critical too. A strong door on flimsy hinges and latch hardware, or hardware placed too close to the edge of the material can crack and breakaway. A cheap alternative is welded wire mesh fencing like Tractor Supply sells in 5x10' sheets---it comes 2"x2" sq, openings all the way up to 6" sq.. This is found on excavator and dozer cabs and skidders. It can be a bit hard on the eyes to see through. You could make it attach to the existing door with washers welded on the ends of the mesh itself.

krunchkat99

My New Holland manual says the door is 1" thick. When choosing a plastic material you have not only consider cost but the type of material too--Lexan is soft and not as rigid by nature as acrylic. Lexan being soft means it scratches easily unless it is hard-coated which adds to the cost. You'll have to be very careful how you clean the window too--most likely you won't be able to use anything but a spray bottle and a soaked rag to gently clean it--and dust will scratch it---so forget about using a windshield wiper. Then there is optical clarity: since it will likely be at a slight angle, it could have refractive characteristics sort of like when you look through water --things aren't really where they are. And how you mount is critical too. A strong door on flimsy hinges and latch hardware, or hardware placed too close to the edge of the material can crack and breakaway. A cheap alternative is welded wire mesh fencing like Tractor Supply sells in 5x10' sheets---it comes 2"x2" sq, openings all the way up to 6" sq.. This is found on excavator and dozer cabs and skidders. It can be a bit hard on the eyes to see through. You could make it attach to the existing door with washers welded on the ends of the mesh itself.
I am interested in seeing some pics to if possible. I have to tackle that project soon. Steve

Sven

I am interested in seeing some pics to if possible. I have to tackle that project soon. Steve
Bobcat has A Forestry Kit...Its an upgraded ROPs FOPs, protection for lights, hydraulic couplers and other stuff. Main part of it is the Door- That thing is something like 3/4" Poly Carb- Its practically bullet proof... Check it out http://www.bobcat.com/publicadmin/viewArticle.html?id=5744

scott321789

Bobcat has A Forestry Kit...Its an upgraded ROPs FOPs, protection for lights, hydraulic couplers and other stuff. Main part of it is the Door- That thing is something like 3/4" Poly Carb- Its practically bullet proof... Check it out http://www.bobcat.com/publicadmin/viewArticle.html?id=5744
Hi Guys.
We are introducing our Heavy duty 1/2 inch thick Lexan Polycarbonate door for all Case, Bobcat and Caterpiller skid steers. The 1/2 inch heavy duty doors will be priced from $899 to $1199 depending on the Model and year of skid steer. Comes with all hardware, door thresholds, and hinges (male and female) to make mounting easy and effortless.
We presently make a lighter duty, but still strong 1/4 inch Lexan Polycarbonate door and cab enclosure kit for most all Cat, bobcat and Case models. Contact us if you need a custom door designed for your safety! We can get er' Done!
Thermfast Industries
[email protected]
Toll free: 1 866 924 7355
Click here or paste to get to our ebay link:
http://stores.ebay.com/Thermfast-industries
$(KGrHqJ,!hgE7j6BKhl0BO5cM01!PQ~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqEOKo4E6(lkUi98BOu)H,LUZg~~60_3.JPG

scott321789

For anyone interested, we offer a variety of Lexan Polycarbonate Skid steer doors and enclosures for pretty reasonable prices. You can check us out at our ebay store by clicking the link below. 1/4 Lexan polycarbonate up to 3/4 inch thick Marguard for the true Brush hogger!

or call us Toll free at 1 866 924 7355
or email us at [email protected]

$(KGrHqUOKjUE6MLumy+FBOu)Hl)sDw~~60_57.JPG

allbrite

For anyone interested, we offer a variety of Lexan Polycarbonate Skid steer doors and enclosures for pretty reasonable prices. You can check us out at our ebay store by clicking the link below. 1/4 Lexan polycarbonate up to 3/4 inch thick Marguard for the true Brush hogger!

or call us Toll free at 1 866 924 7355
or email us at [email protected]
Check out your local sign shop for 3/16 lexan with uv coating on one side. There are likely to have a off cut you can get at a good price. Don't use plexi it will break most like when your trying to drill or cut it.