leaky eaton hydrostat unit on 2060 Mustang

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dogfishlake

Hello, I have a Mustang 2060 with an Eaton hydro pump on it and it leaks badly out of the shafts that connect to the steering handles. Asked a mechanic friend about it and he said it leaks because the pumps are bad. He also said that the only way to go to fix is to pull the drive motors, as well as the pumps and have them rebuilt, and remove all lines and the cooler to flush it all. Does all this sound par for the course? The oil was milky when I got the machine so troubles were no big surprise. I have since changed the oil and put in new filters but it leaks a ton of fluid every time I use it. My mechanics price tag to fix all that was about 2500, so I want to put that off as long as possible. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
The milky oil is not a good start, did you fluch as much oil out as you could and got fresh oil in there?
As for the leaks, this is not un-common. It should simply be a job of removing the steering linkages and you remove the caps that hold the seals on the shafts that are leaking and replacing the seals. I have done this on Bobcat drive pumps before, no issues there. A few out of the machine and two while the pumps were still in the machine. I don't understand why they want to pull the drive motors too.....
Its not a difficult job at all. Just get the system clean!

OP
OP
D

dogfishlake

The milky oil is not a good start, did you fluch as much oil out as you could and got fresh oil in there?
As for the leaks, this is not un-common. It should simply be a job of removing the steering linkages and you remove the caps that hold the seals on the shafts that are leaking and replacing the seals. I have done this on Bobcat drive pumps before, no issues there. A few out of the machine and two while the pumps were still in the machine. I don't understand why they want to pull the drive motors too.....
Its not a difficult job at all. Just get the system clean!
Thanks for the info. I suspected there were seals there but the mechanic I talked to said that wasn't the case. Glad to hear a second opinion. My service manuals don't cover the eaton pump unit so I couldn't look at an exploded view to see the seal. I think the reason for removing the motors too was to wash all metal shavings out that could be contaminating the system. The machine works fine and the drives seem ok. I'll try to get a diagram and part numbers for the seals and tear into it. As for the oil, I did flush it and refill it, using new filters to I think that's good. Again, thanks for the help.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the info. I suspected there were seals there but the mechanic I talked to said that wasn't the case. Glad to hear a second opinion. My service manuals don't cover the eaton pump unit so I couldn't look at an exploded view to see the seal. I think the reason for removing the motors too was to wash all metal shavings out that could be contaminating the system. The machine works fine and the drives seem ok. I'll try to get a diagram and part numbers for the seals and tear into it. As for the oil, I did flush it and refill it, using new filters to I think that's good. Again, thanks for the help.
Hopefully there is no metal in there. If there was, it would be through the pumps and motors. If the seals are just leaking due to age, there really is no reason to suspect something let go and put metal throughout the system *crosses fingers*.
There has to be seals of some sort, they may not be as simple to replace as i think depending on the pump type, but they have to be there all the same.

apetad

There are cone bearings and shims on the control shaft. If the shaft wiggles side to side you need the bearings tight to make the play go away. Then a new seal will work. This is a VERY inexpensive and quick repair job for any Authorized Mustang dealer.

CASE 1840

There are cone bearings and shims on the control shaft. If the shaft wiggles side to side you need the bearings tight to make the play go away. Then a new seal will work. This is a VERY inexpensive and quick repair job for any Authorized Mustang dealer.
The Eaton web site has repair and parts manuals online, start there.
Saying "the pump is bad" isn't much of a diagnosis from your guy. A bad cylinder block, valve plate or piston won't cause the problem you have. Seals should be a external repair. Even if the shafts are getting loose, a fresh seal should last a while.

Latest posts