Ford CL340 question on how they operate

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mpilihp

So I have a CL340 that has an issue where the left and right sides operate differently. If jacked up and turned off the left wheels can free wheel whereas the right wheels are locked up. My understanding is they should be locked up. When driving the unit I can easily turn right by releasing the right level and pushing on the left because the right wheels lock up. But when I try to turn left by releasing the left lever it keeps going forward but drifting to the left a bit. It also makes a whining sound as if having the left wheels turning without the lever engaged it is forcing fluid through something when it shouldnt. To turn left I must pull the left lever back some to stop the wheels. In reading about how these operate it was suggested the motor is what LOCKS up the wheels when lever in its resting position. I found and bought what the person said was a GOOD motor and replaced it but it does the same thing. SO my question is what part of the drive system causes the wheels to be locked in the rest position is it the motor or is it maybe the valve used to drive the motor? As if its the motor then I just got unlucky and bought a bad one? Thanks Phil

Tazza

Staff member
Hello anyone have an idea on this? Thanks Phil
Have you tried swapping motors from side to side to see if the issue moves with it or not?
The motors and lines are full of oil, so the motors feel locked up. They shouldn't spin easily by hand when they are full of oil. Either there is no oil in there or the oil is by-passing insde.
The easiest check is to swap motors, if the issue moves, it's the motor, if not it's normally the pump

OP
OP
M

mpilihp

Have you tried swapping motors from side to side to see if the issue moves with it or not?
The motors and lines are full of oil, so the motors feel locked up. They shouldn't spin easily by hand when they are full of oil. Either there is no oil in there or the oil is by-passing insde.
The easiest check is to swap motors, if the issue moves, it's the motor, if not it's normally the pump
Hi so I havent done that yet but that was going to be my next action if I didnt get feedback from someone on if on this model the wheels should be locked or not as I have read conflicting info on other forums. So when you say if its not the motor but the pump, there isnt a valve involved controlling the flow of oil to the motor? Or is that valve in the pump and if so is that repairable? Thanks Phil

Tazza

Staff member
Hi so I havent done that yet but that was going to be my next action if I didnt get feedback from someone on if on this model the wheels should be locked or not as I have read conflicting info on other forums. So when you say if its not the motor but the pump, there isnt a valve involved controlling the flow of oil to the motor? Or is that valve in the pump and if so is that repairable? Thanks Phil
I'm assuning it's hydrostatic drive, there are no valves as such to control wheel movement, this reduses heat generated by the system.
The steering levers attach to the swash plate on a piston pump, the swash plate controls the amount and direction of fluid that is pumped. It makes things less complicated and more efficient. It makes for fewer parts in the system to go wrong.
With the system full of oil, the motors will resist any attpemt to move it by hand. If it's able to rotate, something is by-passing.
I don't get as much time as i used to to be able to get on the forum, so feel free to look up my profile and email me.

OP
OP
M

mpilihp

I'm assuning it's hydrostatic drive, there are no valves as such to control wheel movement, this reduses heat generated by the system.
The steering levers attach to the swash plate on a piston pump, the swash plate controls the amount and direction of fluid that is pumped. It makes things less complicated and more efficient. It makes for fewer parts in the system to go wrong.
With the system full of oil, the motors will resist any attpemt to move it by hand. If it's able to rotate, something is by-passing.
I don't get as much time as i used to to be able to get on the forum, so feel free to look up my profile and email me.
Hi thanks I sent you an email! Phil