L785 Bucket Cylinder Seals

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

robb

My left bucket cylinder started leaking and I purchased a seal kit to replace the seals. I am having trouble getting the seal # 27 (on the attached) in the machined groove on the inside of the cylinder head # 24. This is a two part rubber seal, but it sure appears to be too big to fit in the groove. Is there some special tool need to insert this seal? Any help would certainly be appreciated. Robb

jerry

By too big for the groove do you mean diameter or width? The i.d. seals on smaller bores like that are hard to put in, put lots of silicone grease or oil on it and double it up and mash it in, it will straighten out when it gets in there. Do you have the old seal to compare it too? Is it like a o ring that is captive in a outer rubber shell? If it is the groove will be plenty wide but they are no fun getting in to the groove.

OP
OP
R

robb

By too big for the groove do you mean diameter or width? The i.d. seals on smaller bores like that are hard to put in, put lots of silicone grease or oil on it and double it up and mash it in, it will straighten out when it gets in there. Do you have the old seal to compare it too? Is it like a o ring that is captive in a outer rubber shell? If it is the groove will be plenty wide but they are no fun getting in to the groove.
Seems to be both diameter and width. There is a groove in the larger seal that the smaller seal fits into. They sort of sandwich together. I thought maybe they put the wrong seal in the kit, but I purchased two kits and they both have the same seal. I have oiled it and put it all in, except for the last 1/4 inch which is left folded up like a upside U. I just don't see how it could fit. robb

Tazza

Staff member
Seems to be both diameter and width. There is a groove in the larger seal that the smaller seal fits into. They sort of sandwich together. I thought maybe they put the wrong seal in the kit, but I purchased two kits and they both have the same seal. I have oiled it and put it all in, except for the last 1/4 inch which is left folded up like a upside U. I just don't see how it could fit. robb
Its a good idea to check the new seals agains the old ones that you removed to ensure they are indeed the same. The internal pressure seals sure can be hard to install some times. They involve some serious twisting with a pair of circlip pliers (they have no sharp edges). Oil and give them a good push.
The seals should already be together, you shouldn't have to add any other seals to the seals so to speak. The pressure seal may have an energising ring that can pop out when installing, but on a new seal it should be there.

OP
OP
R

robb

Its a good idea to check the new seals agains the old ones that you removed to ensure they are indeed the same. The internal pressure seals sure can be hard to install some times. They involve some serious twisting with a pair of circlip pliers (they have no sharp edges). Oil and give them a good push.
The seals should already be together, you shouldn't have to add any other seals to the seals so to speak. The pressure seal may have an energising ring that can pop out when installing, but on a new seal it should be there.
I took the cylinder rod and seals back to the the dealership parts department. Turns out there are two size cylinders for the boom. I had the kit for the larger size, but my cylinder was the smaller one, so no wonder the seal would not fit. Thanks for the advice and help.