L230 slow boom and bucket

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

wmuhler

My L230 is very slow in lift and tilt. Max lift is also compromised. Much worse when the machine is cold, and improves when warmed. It is a mechanical hand and foot machine. Thoughts?

SkidRoe

It sounds like an oil viscosity issue. What oil are you running?

Also - is the oil level correct?

OP
OP
W

wmuhler

The oil was just replaced with 30 weight and is full. Until the machine has worked for 15-20 minutes it will not pick up a bucket of dirt. Lift capacity also is reduced without full throttle. Aux hydraulic pressure appears normal, but has not been checked. When I say low boom speed, about 15 to 20 seconds to full lift with no load.

SkidRoe

Plugging a pressure gauge into the aux outlets would be the next step.

OP
OP
W

wmuhler

That is the plan. Will also plug a gauge in one of the lift cylinder hoses. The pump is high flow and the machine acts as is a regulator is bypassing. Symptoms should be reversed if the pump was bad.

koko

I don't know your machine but have run bobcats for years & their recommendation used to be 10 weight engine oil & now updated to AWS 32 hydraulic oil. It just sounds as tho your oil is much to thick, until it warms up. At what ambient temperature are you using this machine?

SkidRoe

I don't know your machine but have run bobcats for years & their recommendation used to be 10 weight engine oil & now updated to AWS 32 hydraulic oil. It just sounds as tho your oil is much to thick, until it warms up. At what ambient temperature are you using this machine?
I would have to agree with this - I am in Southwestern Ontario, Canada, and I run 10w30 (10w when cold), and my machine is sluggish in the winter (even when kept in a heated garage, above freezing) until the oil warms up a bit. I could not imagine using straight 30w in it. Is that what NH recommends for your machine?

OP
OP
W

wmuhler

Straight 30 is recommended. The boom is slow even in 70 degree weather. Will check the pressures when it gets a little warmer.

jd2cylman

Straight 30 is recommended. The boom is slow even in 70 degree weather. Will check the pressures when it gets a little warmer.
Actually, 10W30 diesel oil is what is specified in the OM. Early 200 series had Blue Excavator fluid, which was a 10W30 variant with additves. Customers complained about the price ($105.00 a pail back then), so NH changed to 10W30 diesel oil. Newer 200 series (last year of production) and 300 series now use AW46. But I doubt the oil is the problem. I would check pump flow and the relief pressure. Almost sound like the relief is stuck open, but I've not seen that happen on 200 series, only LS100 series.

KrTraxx

Possibly oil is so thick that pressures rise high enough to partially open the relief valve, when cold.... But does appear kind of strange if the problem doesnt go away when machone is fully warm..

ap5152

I had a similar problem on my LX665. Ended up being that the pedals were sticking together. I sprayed them with penetrating oil and then stood on each one in separate directions (ie toes pushing on top of left pedal and heel on bottom or right). It popped and broke free. Has worked fine since.