Just a click when I turn the key

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

MrBNew

I picked up a John Deere 575 recently and have been tinkering with it. It works good but has a rough time turning the starter over. I bought a new battery, battery cables, starter solenoid and it still does the same thing - I turn the key and just a single clunk noise. I used to be able to just jump start it and it would start up fine. Now I hook the charger up and set it on 200 amp start and it wont give it enough juice to turn it over, just a clunk noise. In order to start it now I have to jump the solenoid which is a pain in the rear. I know theres a short somewhere because when I hook the charger up and leave the key on the on position the buzzer thing gets louder. Any suggestions on which wires to check or anyone have any suggestions on how to start this thing without having to jump the solenoid? Thanks in advance. Brian

Tazza

Staff member
How do you jump the starter? just power to the small terminal on the starter solenoid? there may be a relay between the key on the panel and the solenoid on the starter. It may be bad?

OP
OP
M

MrBNew

How do you jump the starter? just power to the small terminal on the starter solenoid? there may be a relay between the key on the panel and the solenoid on the starter. It may be bad?
Thats what I was thinking too but followed the wire and everything seemed ok so I bought a new starter. Just before replacing it I touched a screwdriver to both large posts to turn the starter motor to see if it was in fact bad. The starter spun fine and without engaging the flywheel it spun really fast. For whatever reason that fixed the issue. It may have just been gunked up from sitting for too long - it sat for 2 years before I got it.

Latest posts