JD317 needs pump - should I buy??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jinxie

I have the opportunity through a friend to buy a 2006 John Deere 317 skid steer. Apparently, the pump is shot. I haven't looked at it yet, but I want to get a better idea of how these machines work. Is the pump controlling the hydrostatics and hydraulics? or is there a pump for each? Is the pump expensive to repair or purchase exchange? What is the job like to change? I am mechanically inclined....does the engine have to come out? The unit has just over 9,000 hours. Is that a lot for that engine or can they go longer? Thanks for the help!

Tazza

Staff member
That is a lot of hours on the engine, they generally do about 6,000 before getting lazy.
Hard to say really, depends on what went wrong in the pump and how long it was run like that for. When a pump goes, it will shoot out metal particles that go throughout the system. You will need to pull the whole lot apart and clean it out.
You will have 3 pumps, two for drive, one left, one right and one for hydraulics/charge pressure. They are generally linked to gether, so if one chews it's guts up, they will go into the other two. It doesn't mean they will be damaged, but there is a chance.

OP
OP
J

jinxie

That is a lot of hours on the engine, they generally do about 6,000 before getting lazy.
Hard to say really, depends on what went wrong in the pump and how long it was run like that for. When a pump goes, it will shoot out metal particles that go throughout the system. You will need to pull the whole lot apart and clean it out.
You will have 3 pumps, two for drive, one left, one right and one for hydraulics/charge pressure. They are generally linked to gether, so if one chews it's guts up, they will go into the other two. It doesn't mean they will be damaged, but there is a chance.
How would you release the park brake without hydraulic pressure to move it around??

mmsllc

Unhook the hydraulic line to brake and , use a hand pump from a portable power to pump it up
I would say that depending on your friends asking price & the repair price, it might be worth getting it. It sounds like it could be a great opportunity for you.

Bobcatdan

I would say that depending on your friends asking price & the repair price, it might be worth getting it. It sounds like it could be a great opportunity for you.
With 9,000 hrs, its scrap unless you get it for free. New hydro will be $4000 minimum. Then there is what shape the drive motors are in. If those are bad too, you have exceeded what a running working version is worth. The engine is so so in those. Not bad in general, but a few design flaws really cripple it. Also check the boom arms and H frame as those like to crack.

Tazza

Staff member
With 9,000 hrs, its scrap unless you get it for free. New hydro will be $4000 minimum. Then there is what shape the drive motors are in. If those are bad too, you have exceeded what a running working version is worth. The engine is so so in those. Not bad in general, but a few design flaws really cripple it. Also check the boom arms and H frame as those like to crack.
The other way is to call LPS and see what a pump would cost from them.
You may get lucky and be able to replace a few parts to fix it, but at least you will know worst case.
The other issue is how the pump died, if it was really bad, metal will be all through the system, motors, cylinders, cooler, hoses.

farmshop

The other way is to call LPS and see what a pump would cost from them.
You may get lucky and be able to replace a few parts to fix it, but at least you will know worst case.
The other issue is how the pump died, if it was really bad, metal will be all through the system, motors, cylinders, cooler, hoses.
i would run away. Thats a lot of hours to throw that much money at it unless your friend will let you do some exploration ie how much debris in the system some pressure checks what pump or umps are bad

mmsllc

i would run away. Thats a lot of hours to throw that much money at it unless your friend will let you do some exploration ie how much debris in the system some pressure checks what pump or umps are bad
That is all great advice. I would hope it would close to free being a "friend" is trying / wanting to pass it on to you. Hopefully, it is worth getting. IF nothing else, you could part it out to make some good money on it. I've seen some guys part out BOBCAT's make great money on just parts, instead of fixing them. If you don't try, you will never know. Just check out EBAY to see what those parts might sell for. I think you might be surprised. Imagine selling (2) travel motors off of it. If it is an older / obsolete machine, then the parts are worth even more.