JD 250 skidsteer electrical problems

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

oregon60

When I turn on the ignition switch, the starter engages in the run position. When the engine starts, it disengages and the engine runs fine. But the machine is locked up-- parking brakes, boom and bucket. Also the gauges in the instrument panel are all dead. Anybody got any ideas?

pakrat75

Did you find the answer to your problem? I have the same issue on a 2004 250 series II. I turn the key to the run position and the machine starts but the starter won't disengage. If anyone has dealt with the same issue I'd love to hear how you fixed it.

foton

you will need to determine if it is the switch is bad or starter relay/solenoid that is stuck. so disconnect the start wire (the smaller wire)to the relay/solenoid and see when the switch is just in the run position if the start circuit is activated with a meter or test light, and if it is activated, it is the switch, if not have a helper turn the switch to the start position if you see voltage come and go as switch is turned on and off as it should it is the starter.

AJ-17

Had to replace the starter three times now in 13 years. Turns out that the soft cheap copper the Chinese use in the starter motor for the contacts, welds itself together until the starter catches fire. Have replaced key switch, starter circuit relay three times, finally went with a Ford relay. Still did not fix the problem. The new starter worked for a while until the internal copper contacts would be pitted really bad and then keep the starter in gaged until it caught fire and almost lost the machine, more than once. I would rebuild the contacts by machining copper washer smooth in the lathe, files the copper bolt heads flat. This works for about a year, then it starts sticking again. The skid steer has a Kubota 1903 engine. This is something I keep an eye on all the time when starting the skid steer. When I forget to check this, that is when the starter stays in gaged an burns up. Now have 3 new starters sitting on the shelf waiting for the one in the machine to melt down.