Isuzu engine rebuild

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bobben

I have a bobcat 853 with a 4jb1 engine that spun a connecting rod bearing. long story short I need a new crank and connecting rod. Has any one used the Chinese rebuild kits from eBay?The skid steer is not used a lot so I don't want to put $ 8000 to$9000 of parts in to it. I am worried about the quality of the Chinese parts ecspecialy the Crank. Thanks for any insight.

TriHonu

Don't give up on that crankshaft just yet. If you have the Isuzu engine and have been told the crank is hardened and can not be repaired, that information is wrong.
Contact Crankshaft Supply Inc
in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Tell them what you have and get a quote on having it repaired.
My brother did a job on a 853 a few years back. It had a spun bearing and he was told the Isuzu crank is hardened and can not be repaired. He took it to Crankshaft Supply and they annealed it, welded the journal, machined it and re-hardened it. He got it back in about 3 days with a new set of bearings. The cost was much cheaper than I thought it would be.

Tazza

Staff member
Don't give up on that crankshaft just yet. If you have the Isuzu engine and have been told the crank is hardened and can not be repaired, that information is wrong.
Contact Crankshaft Supply Inc
in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Tell them what you have and get a quote on having it repaired.
My brother did a job on a 853 a few years back. It had a spun bearing and he was told the Isuzu crank is hardened and can not be repaired. He took it to Crankshaft Supply and they annealed it, welded the journal, machined it and re-hardened it. He got it back in about 3 days with a new set of bearings. The cost was much cheaper than I thought it would be.
I'd take TriHonu's advise, get it looked at before buying a new crank.
I thought all cranks were hard, they grind them down. If the damage isn't too bad, they may be able to grind it and use over sized bearings.
The chinese stuff isn't always bad, i have used Kubota, stihl and brigs stuff without any issues. They seem to do a pretty decent job copying somethings, others... not so much.