Is this too big of a job for a skidsteer?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Gypsybill

I have 10 acres that I am currently in the process of building a house on. I have had a bulldozer and trac hoe working on it for a good while building the pond, constructing the house pad, etc. Now they are gone and I have a whole bunch of dirt that I have to decide what to do with. 1. The dirt we excavated out of the pond is 120'x210'x 3' high. You can see it in the pics. It is mostly clay and pond muck. There is another pile about 60'x120' x 3'. There is a pic of this pile, also. My plans are to scrape off the topsoil,stockpile it then move the pond material to that place, burm it, then replace the topsoil over it. Burms should look very good where I will be putting this material. Hauling the dirt away would just be too expensive. I also have 4 other large piles of topsoil that I need to move around the site as construction dictates. My question is should I hire bigger equipment and have this work done or should I acquire a skidsteer and do it myself? Is using a skidsteer to do this work practical? I have access to a dump truck as some of the material needs to be moved from one part of the property to another. How long does it take to load a dumptruck with a skidsteer? I am looking for the most cost effective way to deal with my dirt issue. I don't want to waste money or bite off more than I can chew. I don't mind doing the work if it is practical. I would have to buy a skidsteer and borrow a dump truck. What do you guys think? I need some input. I will try and post some pics.
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii30/garnettt/dirt011.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii30/garnettt/dirt010.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii30/garnettt/dirt013.jpg

m610

It will be like trying to load a pickup truck with a shovel. Of course you can do it with a skid steer. The problem is that is will take a long time and if the soil has a lot of small particles, a nightmare of being stuck constantly. If it is your home and there is no hurry, you can take your time. If time is of the essence get hold of a track loader. A dozer could be useful but I think a good size track loader is the way to go.

Tazza

Staff member
It will be like trying to load a pickup truck with a shovel. Of course you can do it with a skid steer. The problem is that is will take a long time and if the soil has a lot of small particles, a nightmare of being stuck constantly. If it is your home and there is no hurry, you can take your time. If time is of the essence get hold of a track loader. A dozer could be useful but I think a good size track loader is the way to go.
I have moved a few thousand m3 of dirt at home, but i had the luxury of time. The dirt was dumped, and i moved it when i felt like it. As already mentioned, it can be done but it will take time. If you get someone in with a large machine it will be faster but its totally do'able with a mid sized skid steer.
I know others will disagree, but this is where i find a 4 in one great. You can take a big bite at the pile, so much that the machine is really tippy on its front wheels. This way you have a FULL load every time, its not so easy to load a standard mud bucket this full as you need the torque and especially grip to push into the pile. This is just my views though, i don't do this for a living unlike others around here.

OldMachinist

I have moved a few thousand m3 of dirt at home, but i had the luxury of time. The dirt was dumped, and i moved it when i felt like it. As already mentioned, it can be done but it will take time. If you get someone in with a large machine it will be faster but its totally do'able with a mid sized skid steer.
I know others will disagree, but this is where i find a 4 in one great. You can take a big bite at the pile, so much that the machine is really tippy on its front wheels. This way you have a FULL load every time, its not so easy to load a standard mud bucket this full as you need the torque and especially grip to push into the pile. This is just my views though, i don't do this for a living unlike others around here.
I'm with Tazza in that if you have the time it can be done. I've moved a lot of dirt and rock with my little machine and Ford F250 dump truck. I've recently been cutting down the dam of a old pond and pushing the dirt into the hole and it amazing how much you can do if your just working for yourself and it doesn't matter how long it takes.

bcollida

I'm with Tazza in that if you have the time it can be done. I've moved a lot of dirt and rock with my little machine and Ford F250 dump truck. I've recently been cutting down the dam of a old pond and pushing the dirt into the hole and it amazing how much you can do if your just working for yourself and it doesn't matter how long it takes.
Nice Property. Where are you located. Doing this job with a skid steer will be a career. I'd say hire a professional to move this dirt around. but if you can afford it, also get a used skidsteer for the property. You'll find plenty of things on your 10 acres that the skid steer can help with. I think if your try to do this job yourself, with a skid steer and a borrowed dump truck, after abut 60 buckets of dirt you're gonna be less one friend with a dump truck and very frustrated with the whole process.

OP
OP
G

Gypsybill

Nice Property. Where are you located. Doing this job with a skid steer will be a career. I'd say hire a professional to move this dirt around. but if you can afford it, also get a used skidsteer for the property. You'll find plenty of things on your 10 acres that the skid steer can help with. I think if your try to do this job yourself, with a skid steer and a borrowed dump truck, after abut 60 buckets of dirt you're gonna be less one friend with a dump truck and very frustrated with the whole process.
All good advice. Thanks. I am starting to think that the job might be a little too aggressive. I do want a skidsteer though, for other applications around the place. I know it is a loaded question but what is the lowest price I should expect to pay for a good servicable machine? What is a 4 in 1? The property is in Tulsa, Oklahoma. My thinking is that a skidsteer would be a much better front loader around 10 acres building a house than a tractor would be. Do you guys agree? I think I will have to continually move things around for a good while even after I live there. I plan to use it for trash cleanup, etc.

m610

All good advice. Thanks. I am starting to think that the job might be a little too aggressive. I do want a skidsteer though, for other applications around the place. I know it is a loaded question but what is the lowest price I should expect to pay for a good servicable machine? What is a 4 in 1? The property is in Tulsa, Oklahoma. My thinking is that a skidsteer would be a much better front loader around 10 acres building a house than a tractor would be. Do you guys agree? I think I will have to continually move things around for a good while even after I live there. I plan to use it for trash cleanup, etc.
If it was me I would be getting a skid steer loader with greater than 60 horsepower. You can get so many attachments for a skid steer it's amazing. However, a tractor is better for mowing. If you are going to have a lawn a skid steer will tear it up whenever you really work it. For construction the skid steer always wins, it is so much faster and more powerful that a tractor with the same engine. As for pricing, you can get a machine anywhere from 1,000.00 - 10,000.00 it all depends on your mechanical ability. Generally a used skid steer holds its value so even if you have to buy something expensive, you can get your money back if you maintain it.

OP
OP
G

Gypsybill

If it was me I would be getting a skid steer loader with greater than 60 horsepower. You can get so many attachments for a skid steer it's amazing. However, a tractor is better for mowing. If you are going to have a lawn a skid steer will tear it up whenever you really work it. For construction the skid steer always wins, it is so much faster and more powerful that a tractor with the same engine. As for pricing, you can get a machine anywhere from 1,000.00 - 10,000.00 it all depends on your mechanical ability. Generally a used skid steer holds its value so even if you have to buy something expensive, you can get your money back if you maintain it.
I have very little mechanical ability and will be mowing with a ZTR. I already have a tractor but it does not have a front loader and I keep it about an hour away so I wouldn't use it on the 10 acres very often. I am thinking a skidsteer would be very handy throughout the whole job.

OP
OP
G

Gypsybill

I have very little mechanical ability and will be mowing with a ZTR. I already have a tractor but it does not have a front loader and I keep it about an hour away so I wouldn't use it on the 10 acres very often. I am thinking a skidsteer would be very handy throughout the whole job.
Does this sound like a good deal? Bobcat Skidsteer, 1998 Model 753, low hours 1950+ hours, complete with bucket and forks, auxillary hydraulic controls, Kubota Engine, runs good, looks good, new battery and starter. $9900

hipwr223

Does this sound like a good deal? Bobcat Skidsteer, 1998 Model 753, low hours 1950+ hours, complete with bucket and forks, auxillary hydraulic controls, Kubota Engine, runs good, looks good, new battery and starter. $9900
I am in a similar situation rifgt now. I have 7 acres of wooded land and I am clearing a bunch of it to expand my backyard. I have to get enough dirt to fill up an area 6 feet deep, by 60 feet wide, by 40 feet long...a lot of dirt. I also am putting in a stone driveway into the woods that is about 10 feet wide and 50 yards long...a lot of stone. I am doing all this work with an S130 I bought with a bucket and an industrial grapple(for moving cut trees). I am taking my time and I am 100% sure I can finish all this work in my spare time over the course of this year. I also have an old hunting cabin I need to tear down with the Grapple and I will do that next spring. If you have the time I would think any machine of about 50 hp or greater would be more than enough.

hipwr223

I am in a similar situation rifgt now. I have 7 acres of wooded land and I am clearing a bunch of it to expand my backyard. I have to get enough dirt to fill up an area 6 feet deep, by 60 feet wide, by 40 feet long...a lot of dirt. I also am putting in a stone driveway into the woods that is about 10 feet wide and 50 yards long...a lot of stone. I am doing all this work with an S130 I bought with a bucket and an industrial grapple(for moving cut trees). I am taking my time and I am 100% sure I can finish all this work in my spare time over the course of this year. I also have an old hunting cabin I need to tear down with the Grapple and I will do that next spring. If you have the time I would think any machine of about 50 hp or greater would be more than enough.
"Does this sound like a good deal? Bobcat Skidsteer, 1998 Model 753, low hours 1950+ hours, complete with bucket and forks, auxillary hydraulic controls, Kubota Engine, runs good, looks good, new battery and starter. $9900" I bought my 2005 S130 with bucket and Grapple with only 870 hrs delivered from Fl for $10,000. i put another 2K in tires and rims, new muffler exhaust, a drive seal and updated software and it is like BRAND NEW! i think if you look around you will find a newer machine with lower hours for that kind of money.

scsindust

"Does this sound like a good deal? Bobcat Skidsteer, 1998 Model 753, low hours 1950+ hours, complete with bucket and forks, auxillary hydraulic controls, Kubota Engine, runs good, looks good, new battery and starter. $9900" I bought my 2005 S130 with bucket and Grapple with only 870 hrs delivered from Fl for $10,000. i put another 2K in tires and rims, new muffler exhaust, a drive seal and updated software and it is like BRAND NEW! i think if you look around you will find a newer machine with lower hours for that kind of money.
I have a 753, and they would be way too small for a job that big. I also have a T190, which would be a much, much better choice. You should able to get one for around 15K in reasonable shape. I don't think anything smaller would be as useful. Also, if your property holds moisture, you will more than likely get stuck with a wheel machine when you get into that pile. Look into track machines. Just a thought.

Tazza

Staff member
I have a 753, and they would be way too small for a job that big. I also have a T190, which would be a much, much better choice. You should able to get one for around 15K in reasonable shape. I don't think anything smaller would be as useful. Also, if your property holds moisture, you will more than likely get stuck with a wheel machine when you get into that pile. Look into track machines. Just a thought.
A 4 in 1 bucket is also known as a combo bucket. It essentially opens up, you can use it to grab logs, pick up piles of dirt instead of pushing it around you can open it up and grab like using a hand.

siduramaxde

A 4 in 1 bucket is also known as a combo bucket. It essentially opens up, you can use it to grab logs, pick up piles of dirt instead of pushing it around you can open it up and grab like using a hand.
Don't even waste your time with a skidsteer. I could see maybe using a large track loader but I would think you could have all that dirt moved by someone else for cheaper than you think. Remember that the economy is bad and there are people willing to do work they normally wouldn't do and for cheaper than they would normally. Work is scarce for lots of excavating companies.

OP
OP
G

Gypsybill

Don't even waste your time with a skidsteer. I could see maybe using a large track loader but I would think you could have all that dirt moved by someone else for cheaper than you think. Remember that the economy is bad and there are people willing to do work they normally wouldn't do and for cheaper than they would normally. Work is scarce for lots of excavating companies.
I am convinced that I had better let someone else move the major dirt for me. However, there are still small piles and construction issues to deal with so I think I will still buy a skidsteer to use for, at least, the duration of this project. How can I price skidsteers? Is there a bluebook? Also, what to look for on a used machine? What would be the best place to buy one? We do have a local big equipment auction once a month and there are always several skids being auctioned. I would think the skid would be good for leveling up my ground so I can mow. It is pretty rough around there right now.

Latest posts