IH 3300 B skid steer - won't turn over

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bharle

I could really use some help, I am stumped. In summary of the below, the starter won't turn the engine over. Sparks plugs are out, flywheel doesn't seem that hard to turn over with a screwdriver.
I recently acquired an IH 3300B skid steer. 1400 hours on it. It has been sitting for roughly 10-15 years. It was backed into a shed in running condition, then shut off. It had been purchased at an auction before being parked. Appears that all fluids were changed, right side chain case was repaired (fresh form-a-gasket) and the unit was repainted.
I have confirmed it is the Wisconsin VG4D 4 cylinder motor. Unit overall is in good shape. I cannot read the entire nameplate as it on the back of the engine. The gas was bad. Sucked it out. Cleaned sediment bulb with new gasket and added an in-line fuel filter. Backed filled the fuel line from the carburetor end, through the fuel pump. With the spark plugs out, it turned over and the fuel pump, pumped the gas out of the line. Great – but no spark.
Replaced the cap, rotor, condenser, points, plug wires and plugs. Cleaned carb (actually was very clean to begin with) Turned over with spark! Put the plugs in and was ready to go. Turned over a few times, popping once in a while. Then the starter would hit the gear, and not turn it over, just 'thunked'.
Checked the new battery again, it load tested fine. Shorted the battery direct to the starter, still only thunked against the gear and wouldn't turn over. Figured the starter was bad. Took starter out, brushes looked good but a piece was missing from the threads on the bendix
. Assumed it wasn't going out all the way and was wedging. Long story short, ended up with a re-built Wilson starter from O'Reilly's. Put it in, it turned the motor over perfectly – for a couple times, then it did the same thing, thunks against the flywheel/gear and won't turn it. Hard for me to believe 2 starters have the same problem. Checked battery again and it is good.
Decided at this time the root of most of my issues is a bad ground so went completely through the wiring, disconnecting, cleaning thoroughly with wire brush on drill, then reconnecting. Ground wire to frame was really bad, with silicone all over it, thought I had found the source of my problem. Put starter back in, still would not turn motor.
So I thought perhaps I had gotten a bad starter. Got another rebuild, put it in and it never spun the engine at all, thunked against the gear from the very first try. This time I could occasionally hear the starter gear release after turning the key off.
None of the 2 O'reilly starters seem to have the torque of the original starter (wish I had rebuilit it but too late now), but it is hard to really tell and it is total conjecture on my part. They tell me they are confident I have the correct starter for the VG4D motor.
All fluids appear to have been changed. The engine oil is at the correct level (crankcase is not filled with gas and it is air cooled so no water issues. During initial turning over with plugs out while working on the fuel, the machine did start to move as it is nearly impossible to have the levers centered. Also at one point, I pushed the pedal down while it was turning over and the bucket started to raise. Hydraulics seem to work. With the plugs out I would expect the starter to turn the engine over even if the levers aren't perfectly centered or foot pedals on center.
Any thoughts, comments or things to try would be appreciated. O'Reilly's said they would get me another starter but I really believe that is not the problem. Thanks in advance Bruce

skidsteer.ca

Bruce
I put some page breaks in for you.
If you go into your "profile" and put a check in the box beside "use html editor" your paragraphs will work
On to the loader
No specific knowledge on this model but
I thing the hydrostats that drive the wheels are loading the motor, and or the hyraulic pump that lidts the boom.
Try jack the unit up so the tires can turn, amke sure any park brake is off,
Also if the unit has auxilary hydraulics plumbed to couplers on the boom, make sure the auxilarys are not enguaged and dead heading the hydraulic pump pressure against the coupler.
If the oil has no place to go the demand on the starter will increase sharply.
Ken

OP
OP
B

bharle

Bruce
I put some page breaks in for you.
If you go into your "profile" and put a check in the box beside "use html editor" your paragraphs will work
On to the loader
No specific knowledge on this model but
I thing the hydrostats that drive the wheels are loading the motor, and or the hyraulic pump that lidts the boom.
Try jack the unit up so the tires can turn, amke sure any park brake is off,
Also if the unit has auxilary hydraulics plumbed to couplers on the boom, make sure the auxilarys are not enguaged and dead heading the hydraulic pump pressure against the coupler.
If the oil has no place to go the demand on the starter will increase sharply.
Ken
thanks for the help on the formatting - didn't realize it until after I posted. you have me excited about the parking brake comment. I believe that is one that I did do, was apply the parking brake. The unit is sitting on a trailer, loaded with a large forklift, thus didn't want it to suddenly take off. I was optimistic I would get it started and drive down the ramps in a controlled manner! I believe there is a reasonable chance that is the difference. You have revived a bit of optimism in me! thank you. (certainly welcome to any other suggestions that are out there too!) regards, bruce

OP
OP
B

bharle

thanks for the help on the formatting - didn't realize it until after I posted. you have me excited about the parking brake comment. I believe that is one that I did do, was apply the parking brake. The unit is sitting on a trailer, loaded with a large forklift, thus didn't want it to suddenly take off. I was optimistic I would get it started and drive down the ramps in a controlled manner! I believe there is a reasonable chance that is the difference. You have revived a bit of optimism in me! thank you. (certainly welcome to any other suggestions that are out there too!) regards, bruce
found the problem - when I 1st got the engine 'popping', the connecting rod must have let loose and blocked the crankshaft. checked the cylinders on the other side and found one corner of one of the cylinders was cracked out and the head was cracked. In summary engine is dead. After freeing up the motor, I was able to confirm the pumps are working well, with the wheels off the ground, they moved forward/backward as they should and bucket raised/dumped properly. Although the tires are bad, makes me think it may be worth more than just scrap with a new motor. does anyone know of a diesel replacement motor that would bolt in without modifications or of a good used VG4D motor? This is a 3300B. thanks again. bruce