Ignition Interlock failed again.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

urhstry

Upon buying my LS180 it would not start and it would continue to try even after taking the key out. After putting a new ignition interlock in, it solved the problem. Now, I just put in a new battery and after leaving it in overnight, it was drained to 11.5V come morning. I recharged it, tried to start the machine and it would crank but not turn over and then started doing the same thing where after taking the key out, it continued to try to turn over. Did I get a faulty ignition interlock or did I burn it out by having a totally separate problem? I am thinking that is what drained the battery and was a bad piece from the start.

Mike10

Check your starter soliniod
Whenever you try and start an engine with low voltage you run the risk of welding the contracts in the solenoids together, especially the one under the engine fuse panel but it could also be the one on the starter. Time to get the test light out again and start checking where you have power on the solenoid under the fuse panel when it is cranking by itself.

Mike10

Whenever you try and start an engine with low voltage you run the risk of welding the contracts in the solenoids together, especially the one under the engine fuse panel but it could also be the one on the starter. Time to get the test light out again and start checking where you have power on the solenoid under the fuse panel when it is cranking by itself.
Is it not starting because it is cranking slow or do you not have power to the fuel shut off solenoid? The relay could have gone bad. Did you use an OEM relay? The after market relays I have seen are not sealed.

OP
OP
U

urhstry

Is it not starting because it is cranking slow or do you not have power to the fuel shut off solenoid? The relay could have gone bad. Did you use an OEM relay? The after market relays I have seen are not sealed.
Its just not cranking fast enough. However after charging the battery (with the cables off) and then putting a 50Amp battery charger on it (to start), it would still not crank fast enough. I have been thinking a bad starter/solenoid for a while now. I did use an OEM relay.

antfarmer2

Its just not cranking fast enough. However after charging the battery (with the cables off) and then putting a 50Amp battery charger on it (to start), it would still not crank fast enough. I have been thinking a bad starter/solenoid for a while now. I did use an OEM relay.
Unhook your battery and charge it up them hook it back up dont turn the key on then jump the small wire on the soliniod to the big one on the starter and see what happens

OP
OP
U

urhstry

Unhook your battery and charge it up them hook it back up dont turn the key on then jump the small wire on the soliniod to the big one on the starter and see what happens
Nothing happened. After trying this I attempted once more to try to start it with the key and it counted down and when I turned the key, nothing. But the lights were lit up and i checked the battery and it showed 13.6 volts. Would this be the start relay (86521256) or the interlock relay(9601073)?

antfarmer2

Nothing happened. After trying this I attempted once more to try to start it with the key and it counted down and when I turned the key, nothing. But the lights were lit up and i checked the battery and it showed 13.6 volts. Would this be the start relay (86521256) or the interlock relay(9601073)?
Clean your battery terminals ,grounds to the frame and to the starter and soliniod

OP
OP
U

urhstry

And make sure your starter is not loose
I already did all the terminal cleaning. Today at first it didnt want to crank at all but then started to and the battery light came on so I stopped. Something is stopping it from getting full crank current. I am still thinking a bad or weak starter.

antfarmer2

I already did all the terminal cleaning. Today at first it didnt want to crank at all but then started to and the battery light came on so I stopped. Something is stopping it from getting full crank current. I am still thinking a bad or weak starter.
Could be but try cleaning and tightening up first cheaper

jerry

Could be but try cleaning and tightening up first cheaper
I suppose access is terrible with the boom down but if you can get a jumper cable from the +ve battery post right to the starter solenoid it might give you a idea whether the starter is cranking ok.

OP
OP
U

urhstry

I suppose access is terrible with the boom down but if you can get a jumper cable from the +ve battery post right to the starter solenoid it might give you a idea whether the starter is cranking ok.
Good idea... I'll use a jumper cable, they are 2 gauge.

jerry

Well this is interesting. Today's temps are close to 30. I go out, turn the key, it starts right up. Is the cold = high resistance?
No, cold should not affect anything except the battery performance and of course the pumps will turn heavier when cold. I started my 665 this morning at 10 below with no heat and 12 second glow it turned over twice and started. Different machine but still. Only thing cold could do is cause a loose connection on a aluminum or copper connection from shrinkage.