Hydraulic Oil

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ajwgator

I know this question has been asked many times before and I have searched it a number of times. It concerns hydraulic oil used in our machines: Bobcat wants us to use their Black Gold and manuals state we can use engine oil when we can't get the Black Gold. I have used both and am not concerned about mixing them. Does anyone have experience with using the universal tractor hydraulic oil? What are your feelings about it? To me it seems really close to engine oil and at our local Tractor Supply Stores here in KY we can get 6 gal cans for around $32.00.
Thanks for everyones' inputs from previous posts. This forum is really a great place for great information!

Tazza

Staff member
Unfortunately i have never tried that oil. Maybe they can tell you what the actual weight is?
Even though it looks as thick as engine oil, you must be sure it will still be the rite viscosity at operating temperature. I really wouldn't go using it unless i was sure. I think if it was marketed as hydrostatic oil and not hydraulic oil it should be safe.
Hopefully you will get a better answer from other users in here.

sterlclan

Unfortunately i have never tried that oil. Maybe they can tell you what the actual weight is?
Even though it looks as thick as engine oil, you must be sure it will still be the rite viscosity at operating temperature. I really wouldn't go using it unless i was sure. I think if it was marketed as hydrostatic oil and not hydraulic oil it should be safe.
Hopefully you will get a better answer from other users in here.
5 gal of 15 40 at napa 45 bucks......is it worth it ? your call id stick with motor oil my 2c..........Jeff