Hydraulic oil

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Centurion

I have a 1988 Bobcat 743. Currentky it has bobcat hydrostatic fluid in it. Is it safe to mix other hydraulic fluid with bobcat fluid? The dealer is 50 miles away, I would like to buy something locally that I can add to it. I read in another post that I should use ISO 46 Hydraulic oil. I just want to be sure I don't screw anything else up, I already have to find another tilt cylinder SO I am trying to be careful. Any advice would help.

Tazza

Staff member
The oil debate.... I simply run Castrol RX super diesel engine oil.

OldMachinist

question is, will that mix safely with the bobcat hydraulic oil?
Yes according to the Bobcat manuals you can use engine oil if the Bobcat oil is not available. We've had many long discussions about this on this forum and don't want start another so I'll leave it at that.

Tazza

Staff member
Yes according to the Bobcat manuals you can use engine oil if the Bobcat oil is not available. We've had many long discussions about this on this forum and don't want start another so I'll leave it at that.
Agreed!
Its in my manual too, they say that any engine oil will work, so 10w30 to 20w50 is fine, you are more than welcome to go to the dealer and get the *rite* stuff but as you said they are a long way away.
I was told that RX super was FULLY compatible with any hydraulic/hydrostatic oil.