Hydraulic Issues

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ronald_s

I bought a skid steer which had a leak coming from by the brake boot, thinking it was an easy fix. I pulled it down, bought all the seals for the pump, brake, axle housing. Filled the hydraulic reservoir with oil, put oil back into the chain case, started and tested the machine, operated it for about 1 minute then machine started to act like it needed oil, check the tank it was empty, noticed that oil is coming from between the shaft for the chain axle and going in the chain case. Is this suppose to take place, is that hole in the shaft used as a drain? I read in the manual that the chain case oil doesnt hav anything to do with the system oil, so not sure what is taking place. Please help !!!

skidsteer.ca

The chaincase would be its own separate resevoir and not the hydraulic oil is not supposed to end up in there.
You likely have a problem with the hydraulic drive motor seal on that side. Oil must be leaking out of the hyd motor into the chain case.
I don't have oner of these machines so these coments are in general. What model and series is your machine?

OP
OP
R

ronald_s

The chaincase would be its own separate resevoir and not the hydraulic oil is not supposed to end up in there.
You likely have a problem with the hydraulic drive motor seal on that side. Oil must be leaking out of the hyd motor into the chain case.
I don't have oner of these machines so these coments are in general. What model and series is your machine?
Its a JD 250, I pulled it down when i bought it because i observed oil was getting in there also, i changed the seal in the motor but just cant understand how oil is still getting in and it seems to be going through the small hole on the chain sproket, its not like running fast its like draining

skidsteer.ca

Its a JD 250, I pulled it down when i bought it because i observed oil was getting in there also, i changed the seal in the motor but just cant understand how oil is still getting in and it seems to be going through the small hole on the chain sproket, its not like running fast its like draining
Can you pressure test the chaincase to see just where the leak is?
If it leaks in it should leak out.
Skidsteer.ca