hydra-mac drive pump question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ohara6z91

Any ideas to try for right side pump squeal and loss of power. Left works awesome and lift arms have full power. Machine still goes forward and reverse but right side very weak. Thanks for any help!

Tazza

Staff member
It could be wear in the valve plate or a bad seal in the drive motor.... You can swap motors from side to side and see if the problem changes sides. If it does, its the motor, if not its a pump issue.

mistersweeper

It could be wear in the valve plate or a bad seal in the drive motor.... You can swap motors from side to side and see if the problem changes sides. If it does, its the motor, if not its a pump issue.
On my IH 4140, which is the same machine as a hydra-mac 12c II , I replaced the drive motor with one from loader parts source. Give Lee there a call he's very knowledgeable. If it was a pump issue would you not loose hydraulic power to the boom and bucket cylinders ? Just thinking outside the box....

Deke

On my IH 4140, which is the same machine as a hydra-mac 12c II , I replaced the drive motor with one from loader parts source. Give Lee there a call he's very knowledgeable. If it was a pump issue would you not loose hydraulic power to the boom and bucket cylinders ? Just thinking outside the box....
If it's an older Hydra Mac - like Series 8 vintage, the bucket hydraulics are on a separate pump from the two wheel pumps/motors. So you could have great lifting in the bucket, but problems driving. These might be Sundstrand U Type hydrostatic transmissions, with variable pump, charge pump and motor all built into one casing... One for each side. Possibly the charge relief valve is not working or is jammed, or your check valves are stuck... Try putting a pressure meter on the pump in question: You should get 100 psi from the charge pump and 2500-3500 psi from the motor port when it's driving hard. I may be wrong here - so take with a grain of salt - but I would check your fluid levels first, then hydraulic pressure next. Deke

Latest posts