Huge hydro leak.... 763

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dirtyb115

Well, my luck just gets worse and worse. Thats what i get for trusting people. I just got this 763, which was supposed to be a 98. I didnt know anything about the serial numbers ect.. so didnt look very close when i picked it up. Turns out is a 95, no biggie, but lie number one. Then i get it home and turns out the fuel pickup is shot, he had the tank all the way full, so it would run, but once i used a bit of fuel, it died. 20 bucks to fix, still no biggie. But now i think im in for a costly repair. I noticed there was some hydro fluid dripping out when we put it on the trailer. He said that he had changed some hoses, and that it was left over, he showed me the new hose, so i figured he was being honest. Well today i finally got to use the thing after getting the fuel pickup fixed. After about 2 hours, it was almost bone dry on hydro fluid. (after i had already topped it off with a gallon at the beginning of the day. He is 2.5 hours away, so im gonna call him, but i have a feeling he wont be answering his phone.) Im gonna have it in my garage on tuesday. Where do i even begin to look for the leak? I pulled the cab and you can see it all pooled up in the floor. Is there certain areas i should be looking at? Any advice would be appreciated. Its funny, i sold my older model (which never had any problems) to buy something nice that i didnt think i have too many problems with, especially with only 1500 hours. I just cant beleive people can be this deceiving.

Tazza

Staff member
All you can do is give it a good clean and look for the leak when the machine is clean. For a leak of that size its probably a split hose or loose connection.

OP
OP
D

dirtyb115

All you can do is give it a good clean and look for the leak when the machine is clean. For a leak of that size its probably a split hose or loose connection.
Thanks tazza, I hope you are right! ill keep you posted.

skidsteer.ca

Thanks tazza, I hope you are right! ill keep you posted.
Sometime a small leak (or no leak) can get bad in a instant. It will likely be a bad hose or a fitting he did no tighten enough. Lift the cab and block the wheels up off the floor so you can run the drives and check the lift and tilt or the boom. It may even be there any time its running. Hopefully it not in to tough a place to get to, but even if it is its more time then money if you can handle it yourself.
Fingers crossed
Ken

BobMn

dirtyb115; Hello....Atrick I use is after I clean up the oils, I sprinkle baby power all over, then start the machine, and bingo! You can pin point the leak. ( Hey it really smells good!!) Good Luck bobmn

OP
OP
D

dirtyb115

dirtyb115; Hello....Atrick I use is after I clean up the oils, I sprinkle baby power all over, then start the machine, and bingo! You can pin point the leak. ( Hey it really smells good!!) Good Luck bobmn
Sounds good hopefully ill get to see whats going on in there sometime this week. I put it in my garage, but there wont be enough clearance to tilt the cage back, so guess ill have to pull it out in the driveway to have a look.

OP
OP
D

dirtyb115

Sounds good hopefully ill get to see whats going on in there sometime this week. I put it in my garage, but there wont be enough clearance to tilt the cage back, so guess ill have to pull it out in the driveway to have a look.
Well i finally got a chance to open it up. I think i may have lucked out. I backed it out of my garage and put the cage up. Imeediately i see a small line (about 12 " long ) leaking. Turns out someone before me tried to actually patch the thing with a hose clamp and some rubber. If bobcat is too exensive, what psi rating will i need if i buy from a local shop?

Tazza

Staff member
Well i finally got a chance to open it up. I think i may have lucked out. I backed it out of my garage and put the cage up. Imeediately i see a small line (about 12 " long ) leaking. Turns out someone before me tried to actually patch the thing with a hose clamp and some rubber. If bobcat is too exensive, what psi rating will i need if i buy from a local shop?
uum what is the hose?
If its a high pressure hose it will be 2 wire 3,000 PIS if its a charge pressure line it will only be a few hundred PSI and they will just use 1 wire. If its a pressure hose, there is no way a hose clamp would hold it together!

OP
OP
D

dirtyb115

uum what is the hose?
If its a high pressure hose it will be 2 wire 3,000 PIS if its a charge pressure line it will only be a few hundred PSI and they will just use 1 wire. If its a pressure hose, there is no way a hose clamp would hold it together!
Ha, it didnt hold together !! :). It looks like its a pin hole they tried to wrap and clamp. Ill take a better look tommorow and post back. Wish i knew more about hydraulics and i didnt sound like an idiot, but i dont, so i will :). The hose goes from box mounted on the left side (standing in front of the bucket perspective), down to the pump. Only about a foot long. Maybe i'll just take a pic, that would prolly be easier.

skidsteer.ca

Ha, it didnt hold together !! :). It looks like its a pin hole they tried to wrap and clamp. Ill take a better look tommorow and post back. Wish i knew more about hydraulics and i didnt sound like an idiot, but i dont, so i will :). The hose goes from box mounted on the left side (standing in front of the bucket perspective), down to the pump. Only about a foot long. Maybe i'll just take a pic, that would prolly be easier.
Just ask a common "2 braid" or "2 wire" hose. bring the old one along for a patern and tell them it must be that exact lenght. 1/2" too short or long can cause problems with the re install.
Unless the hose failure was caused by it being to short or long. If it wore though from rubbing something, then adjust the length accordingly.
Ken