How do you keep your skid steer warm for better winter starting

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Farmallh51

So now that winter is almost over, (we can hope); I am thinking back on our nights of -10 to -20 (-11 predicted for tonight) and I am wondering how to keep my skid steer hydraulic oil warmer next year? I know the easy answer, keep it in a warm building. Well in years past when I had a farm I did keep my 440B in the barn with the cows and never had an issue. This winter I had snow about every other day and I used my 450 to plow or move snow many times a week. I keep it in an unheated garage with my 324 is under a shed roof attached to the garage. Starting the 450's engine was less of an issue, as I could remove the belt from the engine to the pump and start the gas engine. What i found was it took a long time to warm the hydraulic oil to make the machine run smooth when the temps did not even get into the 20's during the day. Never even tried to start the 324 with a diesel in the real cold. I only started it when it was warmer days and not so cold the night before. So I am asking for ideas, I thought about a dipstick type heater but the oil fill pipe has rubber tube in the line so not sure it is the best idea. Block heater? Anyway I am thinking ahead for next year, (probably should only think about spring) and thought I would see what this large collection of skid steer owners do with their machines.

TriHonu

Take a look at battery warmers. You may be able to wrap a couple of them on the hydraulic tank to keep it warmer.
On the engine, a block heater or magnetic pan heater is the usual answer.

Bobcatdan

Take a look at battery warmers. You may be able to wrap a couple of them on the hydraulic tank to keep it warmer.
On the engine, a block heater or magnetic pan heater is the usual answer.
What weight of hydraulic fluid are you running? Bobcat hydraulic/hydrostatic fluid is rated for low temps. My opinion is a good battery and a tune up engine shoue start fine no matter the temp. Let the unit run for 10 to 15 minutes and that will warm the hydraulics up enough to quickly come to life with several minutes of use.

siduramaxde

What weight of hydraulic fluid are you running? Bobcat hydraulic/hydrostatic fluid is rated for low temps. My opinion is a good battery and a tune up engine shoue start fine no matter the temp. Let the unit run for 10 to 15 minutes and that will warm the hydraulics up enough to quickly come to life with several minutes of use.
I really don't worry about it. My T200 sits out on the job all winter and it has always started. The lowest temp I have tried to start it in is about 0-5 degrees F. While it is slow to start, it has always come to life. After I start it when it is cold. I let it idle for a about 1-2 minutes and then bump the idle up a smidge. Then I just let it warm up another 10-15 minutes.

OP
OP
Farmallh51

Farmallh51

I really don't worry about it. My T200 sits out on the job all winter and it has always started. The lowest temp I have tried to start it in is about 0-5 degrees F. While it is slow to start, it has always come to life. After I start it when it is cold. I let it idle for a about 1-2 minutes and then bump the idle up a smidge. Then I just let it warm up another 10-15 minutes.
TriHonu: Some good ideas, I did not think about a battery heater! Bobcatdan: it is using 10/30 as it is an older machine (1996) however; the driver voters seem to work just fine what I find is the bucket dump and lift arm seem to have a lot of cold oil and our slow until it all warms up. These machines start OKAY and start much easier if the drive belt is removed. The starter is small as these units use an air cooled 18HP Kohler engine. I usually start the machine and let it run for 10 Minutes. siduramaxde: On my 324 mini excavator I do as you said and it works fine as long as I can get it started. The 324 has a small Kubota that is cold blooded.

bobcatguy

I've often wondered why a guy couldn't take the heat tape you put around water lines and put in on your hydraulic tank. Seems like it would keep it warmer and make it flow easier. But what Dan said is what I do. Start the machine and let it run about 1/4 throttle or a little more till things get warmed up then go.

TriHonu

I've often wondered why a guy couldn't take the heat tape you put around water lines and put in on your hydraulic tank. Seems like it would keep it warmer and make it flow easier. But what Dan said is what I do. Start the machine and let it run about 1/4 throttle or a little more till things get warmed up then go.
He asked how to keep it warm. The only way I know how to do that is to add heat.
If I think of it ahead of time I plug in the block heater. If not, I start it and engage the aux to run the snowblower and let it warm up for 10-15 min. By then the engine and hydraulic oil are warm and ready to go.
My Kubota starts easy as long as the glow plugs are working. It took me a bit to figure out my glow plug relay quit working. The dash was showing the glow plug timer countdown, but the engine was slow to start with a lot of smoke. I finally checked the glow plugs and found the relay had quit working. A new relay was $5 and it was back to normal.

gwiley

He asked how to keep it warm. The only way I know how to do that is to add heat.
If I think of it ahead of time I plug in the block heater. If not, I start it and engage the aux to run the snowblower and let it warm up for 10-15 min. By then the engine and hydraulic oil are warm and ready to go.
My Kubota starts easy as long as the glow plugs are working. It took me a bit to figure out my glow plug relay quit working. The dash was showing the glow plug timer countdown, but the engine was slow to start with a lot of smoke. I finally checked the glow plugs and found the relay had quit working. A new relay was $5 and it was back to normal.
773G, I stick a 75W incandescent light bulb in the engine compartment and cover the machine with a tarp that is wrapped tight to keep air flow from goign through the engine. It started fine at 5 deg F this year. I had a magnetic block heater which worked even better but I can't find the darn thing anywhere.

calypso428

773G, I stick a 75W incandescent light bulb in the engine compartment and cover the machine with a tarp that is wrapped tight to keep air flow from goign through the engine. It started fine at 5 deg F this year. I had a magnetic block heater which worked even better but I can't find the darn thing anywhere.
My T-180 has the deluxe instrumentation so I can watch the engine vitals Tab and see what the hydro oil temp is and also the PSI pressure. I usually let the oil temp get to 60 degrees or so then Im off. What is the minimum temp recommended to get going without doing any sort of damage ? I have your typical hydro fluid and live in Georgia. It obviously doesnt get as cold here as up north but still pretty chilly. Especially with the humidity here. Been in the teens a good bit when I get started in the morning. No problems cranking thought thanks to a new battery, glo plugs and clean terminals !

OP
OP
Farmallh51

Farmallh51

My T-180 has the deluxe instrumentation so I can watch the engine vitals Tab and see what the hydro oil temp is and also the PSI pressure. I usually let the oil temp get to 60 degrees or so then Im off. What is the minimum temp recommended to get going without doing any sort of damage ? I have your typical hydro fluid and live in Georgia. It obviously doesnt get as cold here as up north but still pretty chilly. Especially with the humidity here. Been in the teens a good bit when I get started in the morning. No problems cranking thought thanks to a new battery, glo plugs and clean terminals !
Thank you all for your reply's! When winter ends and it is warmer so I can spent time on the ground I will look closer and see how much room I have to install either a magnetic block heater or a small heat pad. I thought about a bulb for heat too as I have done that in the past to keep water valves warm in a barn. Works well if you can contain the heat in an area and there is less chance for a fire. -8 here this morning! Hope this is the last of it

OldMachinist

Thank you all for your reply's! When winter ends and it is warmer so I can spent time on the ground I will look closer and see how much room I have to install either a magnetic block heater or a small heat pad. I thought about a bulb for heat too as I have done that in the past to keep water valves warm in a barn. Works well if you can contain the heat in an area and there is less chance for a fire. -8 here this morning! Hope this is the last of it
Here's what's printed in all the operators manuals about cold oil.
 photo coldoil_zpsbijhtena.jpg

OP
OP
Farmallh51

Farmallh51

Here's what's printed in all the operators manuals about cold oil.
Thanks OM, I usually don't run the machine below 0 but it is in a garage or shed and the cold of the night tends to stay longer in the buildings. Thankfully winter is coming to an end and I believe we have seen the last to the temps below 0 in my area. I will look into adding a heater to warm the hydraulic oil for next winter. I keep my 324 mini excavator under a shed roof and the afternoon sun warms it some allowing me to run it late in the afternoon when i get home without much issues. Can't beat the sun for warmth! Thank you all for your suggestions!

Latest posts