How do you guys clean your machines?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dirtyb115

I was curious as to how everyone here cleans out their machine, (particularly under the cab.). Any special degreasers ect..? Its so tight under there, i really dont see any way to make the job easy without removing hoses ect.. Thanks for any suggestions!

mllud

I used a cooking spetula to scoop out what I could. It works good to help get under things. Then I used degreaser.
Once you get it clean its easier to do it on a regular basis and keep it that way. Mike

OldMachinist

I used a cooking spetula to scoop out what I could. It works good to help get under things. Then I used degreaser.
Once you get it clean its easier to do it on a regular basis and keep it that way. Mike
Like he said regular cleanings are a must to keep the acumulations to a minimum. When I got mine it didn't look too bad but when I had to do a repair the required the removal of the engine I filled a 5 gal. bucket with the stuff that had acumulated in places you couldn't see. Keeping it clean also will allow you to spot any leaks earlier and reduce fire hazards. I cover the BICS box with plastic and remove the battery and pressure wash everything starting under the cab and forcing the gunk out the rear door. I allow it to dry overnight before putting the battery back in and starting it.

perry

Like he said regular cleanings are a must to keep the acumulations to a minimum. When I got mine it didn't look too bad but when I had to do a repair the required the removal of the engine I filled a 5 gal. bucket with the stuff that had acumulated in places you couldn't see. Keeping it clean also will allow you to spot any leaks earlier and reduce fire hazards. I cover the BICS box with plastic and remove the battery and pressure wash everything starting under the cab and forcing the gunk out the rear door. I allow it to dry overnight before putting the battery back in and starting it.
I buy the 'Formula 21', it's also known buy other names. It's purple and does a great job, I use it full strength in a garden sprayer, let it set for a minute or two then wash off. I've had people say 'how do you keep you machine so clean!. I get it at NAPA. It also cuts oil and grease. Don't ever spray a 'waxed' car, it will remove it quick!.

Bandit1047

I buy the 'Formula 21', it's also known buy other names. It's purple and does a great job, I use it full strength in a garden sprayer, let it set for a minute or two then wash off. I've had people say 'how do you keep you machine so clean!. I get it at NAPA. It also cuts oil and grease. Don't ever spray a 'waxed' car, it will remove it quick!.
Nothing works better than a steam cleaner used on a regular basis. You need to turn the pressure way down when doing the engine compartment or you can blow wires off. That goes for the radiator and oil coolers.

TriHonu

Nothing works better than a steam cleaner used on a regular basis. You need to turn the pressure way down when doing the engine compartment or you can blow wires off. That goes for the radiator and oil coolers.
I made a small change the plumbing so I can run straight hot water to the hose bibs. I spray oily areas with concentrated degreaser from Sam's Club and then hose it down with hot water. Just using hot water instead of cold makes a big difference.
I then spray Fluid Film on the steel lines and any areas prone to rust/corrosion.

jerry

I made a small change the plumbing so I can run straight hot water to the hose bibs. I spray oily areas with concentrated degreaser from Sam's Club and then hose it down with hot water. Just using hot water instead of cold makes a big difference.
I then spray Fluid Film on the steel lines and any areas prone to rust/corrosion.
I did that also a few years ago, put a hot water faucet beside the cold one on the outside of the house. It doesn't cost much to install and you don't use it that often but when you do it is nice to have for cleaning things up.

kolo

I did that also a few years ago, put a hot water faucet beside the cold one on the outside of the house. It doesn't cost much to install and you don't use it that often but when you do it is nice to have for cleaning things up.
definately the hot water and powerwasher, however I like to clean the radiator and oil cooler with compressed air before the wash. I find that once that fine dust gets wet in the small fin areas it's like mud and later gets hard in there like concrete. don't under estimate the value of keeping these items clean and keeping the machine running cooler. Some Kubotas have experienced head cracking due to overheating due to inefficient cooling.