Hey everyone newbie with a couple ?'s

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ianbword

Hi everyone new to skidskeers and the forum! Im not to green with diesels and def not green with gasoline motors. Im attempting to get my uncles early 90's new holland skid skeer to start after dieing a month ago and not starting ever since. I pulled the fuel filter with the glass piece connected to it and drained it (looked like a bit of water in it). I obviously cant prime this filter like most diesel filters. We made sure the batterys had a good charge and cranked it over and over until the filter was full and used a lil silicone spray to help it get going. Its sounds like its basically on the verge of starting like so close while cranking but never fires over. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks everyone !

Tazza

Staff member
Is it smoking when cranking? when there is fuel, it should be white. There has to be a way of proming it without simply cranking the engine over. I would say thats your main problem, lack of prime. There will be an air posket there somewhere.
In the future, you rally should prime the system and not try and start it with spraying anything in the intake, its a bad idea and can damage the engine. I don't know how the pump goes with running without fuel too.... Not trying to scare you, but its best to have a hand primer in the system and simply pump the fuel through get get prime again.

OP
OP
I

ianbword

Is it smoking when cranking? when there is fuel, it should be white. There has to be a way of proming it without simply cranking the engine over. I would say thats your main problem, lack of prime. There will be an air posket there somewhere.
In the future, you rally should prime the system and not try and start it with spraying anything in the intake, its a bad idea and can damage the engine. I don't know how the pump goes with running without fuel too.... Not trying to scare you, but its best to have a hand primer in the system and simply pump the fuel through get get prime again.
gotcha understood. I do remember seeing something mounted on the side of the block which kinda looks like it could be a prime and I attempted to push it and it feel like it had a spring to it. I cant really think what else it could be. However do these machines normally come with some kind of manual primer from the factory??

Tazza

Staff member
gotcha understood. I do remember seeing something mounted on the side of the block which kinda looks like it could be a prime and I attempted to push it and it feel like it had a spring to it. I cant really think what else it could be. However do these machines normally come with some kind of manual primer from the factory??
I don't know about NH machines, but usually they do have some sort of hand primer. Be it part of the lift pump or a hand primer bulb. You will need to open a bleed screw somewhere and pump the primer, you said it was spring loaded, that sounds rite. Push it down then it should pop back then repeat till you get fuel flowing without bubbles. Close the bleed screw and you should be good to go.
Different machines have different setups though, so I'm not sure what your has.

Earthwerks Unlimited

I don't know about NH machines, but usually they do have some sort of hand primer. Be it part of the lift pump or a hand primer bulb. You will need to open a bleed screw somewhere and pump the primer, you said it was spring loaded, that sounds rite. Push it down then it should pop back then repeat till you get fuel flowing without bubbles. Close the bleed screw and you should be good to go.
Different machines have different setups though, so I'm not sure what your has.
You can prime it two ways: crack open one or two injector lines then use the manual springy primer lever until you see fuel coming from the open line, retighten, and it should start up-- OR--- crack open the injector line crank it until the fuel comes out, retighten, and start it up. I have been able to start mine after running out just by cranking---don't recommend it as it wears the starter out quicker.