Newbie to the skidsteer world

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Voit

Hello all... After many years of operating all kinds of construction equipment and tractors I am just now joining the skidsteer realm. For many reasons I have just not liked the concept of them and have never really even operated one. I always had enough other things around that were more for a specific purpose. Now I am looking to have one machine for many jobs, so I am going to give one a try. It will also be the newest and most modern piece that I have ever owned. What I am getting is a New Holland C238 which is all electronic and Tier 4 etc. I seems like an act of god to even get the thing running and working with all of the safety sequence things that have to happen. I work by myself and I am so used to hopping on and off a machine to deal with the working end of things almost constantly. It seems like doing this with a machine like this is going to be frustrating. Like you can't even open the door if the boom is not in specific positions and will the machine even stay running without me in it? I'm a bit old school when it comes to my equipment so am I setting myself up for a stressed relationship with this thing? I plan on using this machine for heavy bushhogging, plowing snow, grading dirt with a blade and general bucket and fork related operations. With tractors, telehandlers and big loaders I am frequently out manipulating the loads as the work is being performed. I am worried that this may be much harder to do now and I will be needing a second person for manipulating my works progress. Am I over thinking the situation or is this just life with an enclosed cab skidsteer? Should I just get a JCB teleskid with a side entry door?

cdmccul

Sounds like a Volvo or JCB is in your future.

Welcome aboard!

I don't have much specific feedback for you, other than yes, the door is a double edge sword... Keeps you cleaner and dryer, but keeps you in the machine unless the boom is all the way down.

mrbb

I will second the above, your going to find using a skid steer to be very un user friendly,, due to you have been so used to being able to hope on and off things to work alone
you will have many instances where that will now just be impossible with a normal skid steer, the side door one's will be a HUGE deal maker for you IMO, based on your post
SKid steers and track loaders like them have there purpose and when used for them, they are great TOOLS< but like all tools there are pros and con's

99% of everything you do with a skid steer LOCKS you inside them, meaning you cannot safely get out of them to do about anything,
something that sounds like what you were used to doing and STILL want to be able to do!

so, YUP< I'd say, you should be looking at a side door model, that or a front end loader, or a larger heavier tractor to do the work you want to do!
or your most likely again NOW going to be a happy camper!
old saying,
Buy once CRY once!

wings5j

I have somewhat of a similar background to what you described and when we bought our current home on five acres of timber land with a long, steep and winding driveway I began looking for a four wheel drive tractor to help maintain the place.

A friend of mine recommended getting a skid steer. I ended up with the Bobcat 742B and it has been great. With it I have moved lots of gravel, dirt and rock and have done all kinds of grading, etc. it has been used to deck logs, stack brush and even a little bit of log skidding. It has used an auger for hole drilling, a fork lift attachment for all kinds of things, a rock placer to form a natural rock retaining wall and a backhoe to dig and trench. In the winter it is great for plowing snow.

My main suggestion is to give it a fair try. Perhaps a full year to cover all seasons and tasks you intended it for. Over time I am guessing you will figure out how to make the negatives a lot less troublesome than what they seem now.

Just go out and enjoy it and be careful on any slope or side hill :)

John

OP
OP
V

Voit

Thanks for the replies everyone... I picked up the NH C238 a week ago but have not had time to put it to work. I did however put it in the shop and give it a really thorough looking over. The machine is in really good shape and doesn't show any level of wear that it's hours would indicate that it should have. It was originally a "Taylor Rental" so it may have just sat around idling instead of being worked hard. Even the bucket edge is sharp and straight. I don't even think that the aux. hydraulic connections have ever been used. I tipped the cab and cleaned around the wires and hoses which only had minimal dirt accumulation and no leaks. I know that these New Hollands are prone to wiring issues and leaks under the cab. I ordered a number of attachments so it will be ready to work this spring. Many of my operations will be able to be done with the door removed which will help me jumping on and off like I seem to do a lot. I still have a Telehandler and an all terrain Sellick forklift that will still do most of the heavy lifting. The Skid steer will mostly be used for heavy brush mowing and earthwork. Not so much need of leaving the cab frequently for those operations. So, I have finally moved into the "modern age" as far as the equipment I own. Everything else I have is older than 1980 and as old as 1953. All good old work horses but a lot to keep up and running well. I'm also getting soft and lazy in my advancing years!

Latest posts