Help with D.O.T. requirements

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

perry

I applied for and got my D.O.T. #, now I need to know the requirements....
The DOT website is a nightmare to navigate.....
I've talked to a few people and some of what I was told.......
Fire extinguisher....
Triangle safety reflectors....
Medical exam...
Log book....
I know about the trailer brakes (brake away), tie downs (4) and so forth..
I find it hard to believe my F-350 with dual axel trailer and not travelling more than 50 mi. is subject to so many regulations??.
What else????????

Thanks in advance

skidsteer.ca

Best is to call them in your state, ask to talk to a DOT cop, as there are so many regs that the average cop only knows a small percent of them.
Tell them what you intend to do, the equipment you have, and they will tell you what pertains to you. You not going to like everthing they tell you, but at least you will know the rules the game is played by.
There will likely be some limitations you want to stay within to avoid even more regs.
We have so many reg here in Ontario it makes you wonder why you getup in the morning, that compouded with needing to be a "Jack of all trades" to make a living makes it tough to stay on top of it all.
Ken

Idoitall

DOT requirements have become a big issue here in Alabama in the last two years and they are really cracking down. I see a news story on this quite frequently. Everywhere you go you are likely to see a Trooper or local police pull over someone pulling a trailer.

I see lots of trucks now with DOT numbers on them that you would never see before. If I understand it, nearly anyone pulling a trailer for any type of commercial use, (even lawn mowing for example), you must have the DOT number and also meet the DOT requirements.

And from what I hear, when they stop you they will cover all the bases and throughly inspect the complete rig. Citations are usually long and expensive.

sterlclan

DOT requirements have become a big issue here in Alabama in the last two years and they are really cracking down. I see a news story on this quite frequently. Everywhere you go you are likely to see a Trooper or local police pull over someone pulling a trailer.

I see lots of trucks now with DOT numbers on them that you would never see before. If I understand it, nearly anyone pulling a trailer for any type of commercial use, (even lawn mowing for example), you must have the DOT number and also meet the DOT requirements.

And from what I hear, when they stop you they will cover all the bases and throughly inspect the complete rig. Citations are usually long and expensive.
I agree call the state troopers and talk to the truck team as soon as you put comercial plates on something you need all the stuff they can also put your truck out of service for some violations Jeff

Fishfiles

We could go on and on all day on DOT regs , I would just like to tell you this one , when you mentioned hooking your one ton to your trailer it made me think of it , here in La. , when you hook a goose neck to a truck you need a CDL license and all the things need to comply to regs , and play by a different set of rules , -----a friend of mine was going to his farm and he had a case of beer hot with some groceries that he had pick up a store on the highway to the farm in a bag in the back of the truck that was hooked to his goose neck , he got pulled over for a DOT inspection and they found the beer , he took a breath test and passed it 0.00, no open caontainers and none in the cab , you can not have controban ( alcohol) no where on the vehicle , hot , cold or empty cans , they took his truck , trailer and backhoe into custody , it's been about a year now ad it's still in the court process , -----also when you drive on a CDL license even if you are off duty in your personal vehicle the blood alcohol level is .04 not .08 as it is for an driver that doesn't have a CDL----maybe different in your state -----

jmatt20

We could go on and on all day on DOT regs , I would just like to tell you this one , when you mentioned hooking your one ton to your trailer it made me think of it , here in La. , when you hook a goose neck to a truck you need a CDL license and all the things need to comply to regs , and play by a different set of rules , -----a friend of mine was going to his farm and he had a case of beer hot with some groceries that he had pick up a store on the highway to the farm in a bag in the back of the truck that was hooked to his goose neck , he got pulled over for a DOT inspection and they found the beer , he took a breath test and passed it 0.00, no open caontainers and none in the cab , you can not have controban ( alcohol) no where on the vehicle , hot , cold or empty cans , they took his truck , trailer and backhoe into custody , it's been about a year now ad it's still in the court process , -----also when you drive on a CDL license even if you are off duty in your personal vehicle the blood alcohol level is .04 not .08 as it is for an driver that doesn't have a CDL----maybe different in your state -----
fishfiles ,that can't be the whole story.... how do they get the beer to the stores in LA.

wendirt

Good luck passing your CDL. - I believe if your CGVW is 23,000 or more you need a Class A CDL. I was stopped after driving all day just 10 miles from home. I drive an F-350 and pull a tri-axle trailer rated at 21,000#. Yes I had a radar detector and that is what got me pulled over in the first place. Long story short... Officer told me to unhook my trailer at a rest area and I was free to go. I did not have a CDL. I had to call dear old dad (has CDL) to come get the trailer. You can take the driving test with your truck and trailer. You will not need to take air brake test. I believe you will have 2 restrictions to your licence, NO SEMI, NO air brakes. -My advice, study hard, find someone with a semi, get the full blown CDL semi, air brakes, and Class A licence (the only one that allows for combination). It's a pain in the butt.

DaveArk

Good luck passing your CDL. - I believe if your CGVW is 23,000 or more you need a Class A CDL. I was stopped after driving all day just 10 miles from home. I drive an F-350 and pull a tri-axle trailer rated at 21,000#. Yes I had a radar detector and that is what got me pulled over in the first place. Long story short... Officer told me to unhook my trailer at a rest area and I was free to go. I did not have a CDL. I had to call dear old dad (has CDL) to come get the trailer. You can take the driving test with your truck and trailer. You will not need to take air brake test. I believe you will have 2 restrictions to your licence, NO SEMI, NO air brakes. -My advice, study hard, find someone with a semi, get the full blown CDL semi, air brakes, and Class A licence (the only one that allows for combination). It's a pain in the butt.

Arkansas CDL requirements:
You must have a CDL to operate:​

•​
A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of

more than 26,000 pounds.​

•​
A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds if the

gross combination weight rating is more than 26,000 pounds.​

•​
A vehicle designed to transport more than 15 persons

(including the driver).​

•​
Any size vehicle which requires hazardous materials placards.

(Your state may have additional definitions of CMVs.)​

http://www.asp.state.ar.us/divisions/hp/pdf/cdl_manual_2003.pdf

OP
OP
P

perry

Arkansas CDL requirements:
You must have a CDL to operate:

A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of

more than 26,000 pounds.

A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds if the

gross combination weight rating is more than 26,000 pounds.

A vehicle designed to transport more than 15 persons

(including the driver).

Any size vehicle which requires hazardous materials placards.

(Your state may have additional definitions of CMVs.)

http://www.asp.state.ar.us/divisions/hp/pdf/cdl_manual_2003.pdf
I stopped one of those 'enforcement' officers and ask him to explain the requirements, my vehicle is in the 10,001 lb category, which means I do not need a CDL but, must meet other requirements such as keeping a log book @*^#%$@ and the ones I mentioned in my first post. By the way, he was a jackass.....
The medical exam is somewhat confusing?, I get a physical every year, would this be acceptable??

Fishfiles

I would guess that the delivery trucks that deliver the alcohol are not under the same rules , I didn't mention that he did have a lot of other things , like a couple of lights out , improper tie down of equipment , registration problems etc , he got a total of 9 citations , but the hot beer in the grocery bag in the truck bed was the worst one of the bunch , it was consider illegal transportation of contratbanded material and was handled like a DUI

skidsteer.ca

I would guess that the delivery trucks that deliver the alcohol are not under the same rules , I didn't mention that he did have a lot of other things , like a couple of lights out , improper tie down of equipment , registration problems etc , he got a total of 9 citations , but the hot beer in the grocery bag in the truck bed was the worst one of the bunch , it was consider illegal transportation of contratbanded material and was handled like a DUI
Jackass is the #1 requirement when applying for the job. I'm not sure if they teach or just hire people with that quality but by the time they get their badge most seem to have it.

At least the US allows 26k for the truck or combo, and 10k for a trailer weight
Ontario its 10k for the truck and 6600 lbs for the trailer, if either is over that then all the rules begin to apply.
Proof of hour of sevice (not what you get paid for, but what they deem as job related) or log books if your beyond 100 miles from home, smog tests, subject to roadside inspecions, truck needs annual inspection sticker, any trailer it tows needs annual inspection sticker (even your boat or snowmobile)
I basically bought a pickup truck to drive besides my 1 ton, just so I don't have to fill a vehicle inspection report and log my hours just to drive into town, without some jackass telling me I'm 400 lbs over 10K and I owe $390.00
Makes me think they'd prefer me as a deadbeat welfare case, the working man is their favourite target here, he does'nt shoot back or beat the cr*p out of them.
Ken

sterlclan

Jackass is the #1 requirement when applying for the job. I'm not sure if they teach or just hire people with that quality but by the time they get their badge most seem to have it.

At least the US allows 26k for the truck or combo, and 10k for a trailer weight
Ontario its 10k for the truck and 6600 lbs for the trailer, if either is over that then all the rules begin to apply.
Proof of hour of sevice (not what you get paid for, but what they deem as job related) or log books if your beyond 100 miles from home, smog tests, subject to roadside inspecions, truck needs annual inspection sticker, any trailer it tows needs annual inspection sticker (even your boat or snowmobile)
I basically bought a pickup truck to drive besides my 1 ton, just so I don't have to fill a vehicle inspection report and log my hours just to drive into town, without some jackass telling me I'm 400 lbs over 10K and I owe $390.00
Makes me think they'd prefer me as a deadbeat welfare case, the working man is their favourite target here, he does'nt shoot back or beat the cr*p out of them.
Ken
the beer in the trailer is CARGO the beer in the bed of a pick up (easily accessed by driver)is CONTRABAND I hold a class A CDL the CDL regs are set by the federal govt and adopted/interpreted by the state Jeff

jmatt20

the beer in the trailer is CARGO the beer in the bed of a pick up (easily accessed by driver)is CONTRABAND I hold a class A CDL the CDL regs are set by the federal govt and adopted/interpreted by the state Jeff
i hold an A license in california. you may not have an open container in the passenger compartment of your car. if you go shopping and get beer you may have it in the passenger compartment unopened no problem. i don't know how long your arms are ,but the bed of a pickup truck dosen't seem easily accesable to the driver to me.once i load my groceries into the back of my pickup i consider them cargo (IE. goods being transported.) so am i to understand that in some states if you only own a pickup truck you either don't drink or you have to walk to the store to get your beer??? i think in texas they still have drive thru liquor marts. i have never heard of beer being refered to as contraband ...maybe in a dry county? in ca some of our beer is delivered by bobtails ...no trailer. and the sales reps drive around in pickups bringing free samples and new products to thier accounts. i have always got a current copy of the ca vehicle code on hand ( 3 bucks at the ca dmv) but i'm sure it's also on line ,i'd like to know what codes were writen to the guy in LA. and try to look them up to see what that ticket was all about.

OP
OP
P

perry

i hold an A license in california. you may not have an open container in the passenger compartment of your car. if you go shopping and get beer you may have it in the passenger compartment unopened no problem. i don't know how long your arms are ,but the bed of a pickup truck dosen't seem easily accesable to the driver to me.once i load my groceries into the back of my pickup i consider them cargo (IE. goods being transported.) so am i to understand that in some states if you only own a pickup truck you either don't drink or you have to walk to the store to get your beer??? i think in texas they still have drive thru liquor marts. i have never heard of beer being refered to as contraband ...maybe in a dry county? in ca some of our beer is delivered by bobtails ...no trailer. and the sales reps drive around in pickups bringing free samples and new products to thier accounts. i have always got a current copy of the ca vehicle code on hand ( 3 bucks at the ca dmv) but i'm sure it's also on line ,i'd like to know what codes were writen to the guy in LA. and try to look them up to see what that ticket was all about.
Another guy told me I must stop at weigh stations???, man!! their regulating the small business owner to death. I pay closer attention to all the 2 and 3 ton trucks with trailers I see on the road, the majorty do not have the DOT #. Am I missing something??

Fishfiles

Another guy told me I must stop at weigh stations???, man!! their regulating the small business owner to death. I pay closer attention to all the 2 and 3 ton trucks with trailers I see on the road, the majorty do not have the DOT #. Am I missing something??
Occasionally the weigh stations will ask to come inside with your fuel book if you drive a 1 ton or larger wth a diesel engine , especially when you have the fuel tank and pump in the back of the truck , they will actually calculate the mileage to see if you are fudging on the fuel -------some buddies went to Taladaga for the race a few years back and was parked in the in field camping out , one of the guys with them had the red fuel in his tank of his truck , Alabama officers stuck the clear tube in the tank and caught him , they had a vaccumm truck come out and suck the fuel from his tank at his cost for sucking it out and disposing of it , I seem to remember it costing him about $5,000 total with fines and suck cost

sterlclan

Occasionally the weigh stations will ask to come inside with your fuel book if you drive a 1 ton or larger wth a diesel engine , especially when you have the fuel tank and pump in the back of the truck , they will actually calculate the mileage to see if you are fudging on the fuel -------some buddies went to Taladaga for the race a few years back and was parked in the in field camping out , one of the guys with them had the red fuel in his tank of his truck , Alabama officers stuck the clear tube in the tank and caught him , they had a vaccumm truck come out and suck the fuel from his tank at his cost for sucking it out and disposing of it , I seem to remember it costing him about $5,000 total with fines and suck cost
I think it only matters if the truck is engaged in commercial activities at the time I personally wouldn't stop in the mack for a beer but my pick up truck I would it all boils down to the officers mood and personality most times they are "just doing their job" but they are after only human and when momma ain't happy ..........ain't nobody happy if you get my drift best bet call them and get all the regs before you get trouble Jeff