Help Starting Bobcat 864 that ran out of fuel!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

TractorShaft

Hi! I have pumped the bulb, gotten fuel up to the and out of the filter housing, over at the pump and up to each injector by bleeding air. I have tried atomizing diesel into the air filter housing when starting I even tried a shot of ether, I have great crank but no start! I am getting black smoke from the exhaust and I can see that it is pumping fuel from each of the fuel rail injector drops. Can anyone please help! I am desperate. Best Regards, Jerry

bobbie-g

Jerry, looks like you're doing most everything right. How cold is it where you are? Glowplugs needed? And when you say "ran out of fuel", was it really out of fuel, or did it just quit? I think the 864 has the Deutz 1011 engine. I can't remember where in the process the fuel cutoff happens. There's an internal rail running the length of the engine, controlled by a solenoid on the right end as you look at the engine from the back. Possible a wire to the solenoid broke and just shut off the fuel to the injectors? Again, I can't remember where in the fuel flow that solenoid/rail is. Might be that with fuel to the injectors, you already have fuel past that point. So how did it act when it ran out of fuel? :) --- Bobbie-G

OP
OP
T

TractorShaft

Jerry, looks like you're doing most everything right. How cold is it where you are? Glowplugs needed? And when you say "ran out of fuel", was it really out of fuel, or did it just quit? I think the 864 has the Deutz 1011 engine. I can't remember where in the process the fuel cutoff happens. There's an internal rail running the length of the engine, controlled by a solenoid on the right end as you look at the engine from the back. Possible a wire to the solenoid broke and just shut off the fuel to the injectors? Again, I can't remember where in the fuel flow that solenoid/rail is. Might be that with fuel to the injectors, you already have fuel past that point. So how did it act when it ran out of fuel? :) --- Bobbie-G
Hi Bobbie-G, Thanks for taking the time to reply, the fuel shut-off solenoid is working correctly and when I have someone turn it over in the cab when I am at the fuel rail I can see the fuel surge out of the lines. Its difficult to reach the top fuel connects on the injectors to purge them but I managed to crack them open with a `17mm open end wrench I ground down to make it skinnier if you will. All of the glow plugs tested and show .5 Ohm's of resistance and are receiving battery voltage 12.8VDC upon the 10 sec. countdown on the start control panel in the cab. It turns over enthusiastically with the throttle advanced about 3/4 of the way to full. A medium amount of Black smoke and distinct diesel smell is observed. I even tried a shot of ether in frustration to see if I could get it to even run briefly but no amount of coaxing will get it to fire. I have put 5 gallons of diesel in it to make sure it had some fuel, the owner told me after I complained it would not start that the fuel gauge did not work correctly (he as not sure) and could be empty although shows a half tank? Could there be something electrical such as a kill switch or interlock causing it to not start? I think the fuel delivery system is alright now, the glow-pulgs are good as well as the built in block/oil heater. Its only been about 50 here at night and the low 70's daytime , I have tried warming the oil with the heater for 8 hours in hopes thinner oil may allow it to start easier. Is there maybe a low oil shutoff that is keeping it from running? Thanks in advance guys, I am a rancher (Black Angus) and Buffalo up here in the Ozarks mountains of Arkansas. Best regards. Jerry

Tazza

Staff member
Hi Bobbie-G, Thanks for taking the time to reply, the fuel shut-off solenoid is working correctly and when I have someone turn it over in the cab when I am at the fuel rail I can see the fuel surge out of the lines. Its difficult to reach the top fuel connects on the injectors to purge them but I managed to crack them open with a `17mm open end wrench I ground down to make it skinnier if you will. All of the glow plugs tested and show .5 Ohm's of resistance and are receiving battery voltage 12.8VDC upon the 10 sec. countdown on the start control panel in the cab. It turns over enthusiastically with the throttle advanced about 3/4 of the way to full. A medium amount of Black smoke and distinct diesel smell is observed. I even tried a shot of ether in frustration to see if I could get it to even run briefly but no amount of coaxing will get it to fire. I have put 5 gallons of diesel in it to make sure it had some fuel, the owner told me after I complained it would not start that the fuel gauge did not work correctly (he as not sure) and could be empty although shows a half tank? Could there be something electrical such as a kill switch or interlock causing it to not start? I think the fuel delivery system is alright now, the glow-pulgs are good as well as the built in block/oil heater. Its only been about 50 here at night and the low 70's daytime , I have tried warming the oil with the heater for 8 hours in hopes thinner oil may allow it to start easier. Is there maybe a low oil shutoff that is keeping it from running? Thanks in advance guys, I am a rancher (Black Angus) and Buffalo up here in the Ozarks mountains of Arkansas. Best regards. Jerry
If you are getting attomized fuel in the cylinders, the smoke should be white and have a sweet smell to it.
I wonder if something has happened that looked like it ran out of fuel. It should kick when you added ether to the air intake, is there a chance the timing belt has skipped a tooth or broken? (if a deutz)

OP
OP
T

TractorShaft

If you are getting attomized fuel in the cylinders, the smoke should be white and have a sweet smell to it.
I wonder if something has happened that looked like it ran out of fuel. It should kick when you added ether to the air intake, is there a chance the timing belt has skipped a tooth or broken? (if a deutz)
HI, Thanks for taking time to reply! Yes, there is white sweet smelling smoke coming out of the exhaust when cranking over I have pulled the two air filter elements and tried atomizing diesel and a little ether , it has not fired on either. How would I determine if the timing belt has broken or skipped on this machine (Deutz Turbo 864 Bobcat) thanks again guys, I am scratching my head on this one... Jerry

OP
OP
T

TractorShaft

HI, Thanks for taking time to reply! Yes, there is white sweet smelling smoke coming out of the exhaust when cranking over I have pulled the two air filter elements and tried atomizing diesel and a little ether , it has not fired on either. How would I determine if the timing belt has broken or skipped on this machine (Deutz Turbo 864 Bobcat) thanks again guys, I am scratching my head on this one... Jerry
CORRECTION: THE SMOKE IS IN FACT BLACK IN COLOR , NOT WHITE COMING FROM EXHAUST WHEN CRANKING OVER>

bobbie-g

CORRECTION: THE SMOKE IS IN FACT BLACK IN COLOR , NOT WHITE COMING FROM EXHAUST WHEN CRANKING OVER>
Jerry, you say you think it stopped running because it was out of fuel? How did it "quit?" Abruptly, or sputter down slowly? Any clanking noises when it quit? I'm no diesel mechanic and not a great Bobcat tech, so just some guesses here: You confirmed you do have the Deutz 1011. I believe those are all turbocharged. I've heard that a turbo gone bad (what's that really mean???) can reduce power by nearly 100%; perhaps that would make it nearly impossible to start. You wondered about an electrical issue? This isn't meant as an insult at all, but a diesel doesn't depend on anything electrical to run. Once fuel is present (fuel cutoff solenoid is active and allowing fuel), the injectors and compression take over. The only way to stop a diesel is to cut off either air or fuel. The terms "ignition" and "spark" have no meaning on a diesel. Again, just trying to make sure you understand what to look for. OK, I once had a turbo mounting stud break off, and had to remove the turbo. That was a hoot, but even though I'm not very good at this stuff, I managed to get it clear out and back in again. You have to remove the muffler to get to it, and work by feel, but it's do-able. Maybe someone else can jump in regarding checking the turbo. I did find that MemoParts was about $500 for a new turbo, and Bobcat wanted about $2500. Now, timing. As Tazza mentioned, you may have slipped a tooth or two on the timing belt. See my prev post for my experience in changing it. Since the engine spins and puts out black smoke, it didn't break. How long since it's been changed (3000hrs or 5 yrs is the interval)? You could pull the lower timing belt cover and see what it looked like, but probably won't provide a definitive answer to whether it slipped. But, in their infinite wisdom, Deutz engineers have put in an antitamper screw in that cover. Duhhhhh..... It looks like a torx wrench with a hole in it's tip should fit, but it won't. The screw on mine has 5 lobes, not six like a Torx screw. It's in the trash can now. That screw plus two 10mm bolts hold the lower cover in place. Maybe you can borrow the bit from a dealer? If the belt needs changing anyhow, I think getting it retimed in the process is not that hard. If you need to change it, send me an email per my prev post and I'll shoot you my notes. Keep us posted! :) ---Bobbie-G

OP
OP
T

TractorShaft

Jerry, you say you think it stopped running because it was out of fuel? How did it "quit?" Abruptly, or sputter down slowly? Any clanking noises when it quit? I'm no diesel mechanic and not a great Bobcat tech, so just some guesses here: You confirmed you do have the Deutz 1011. I believe those are all turbocharged. I've heard that a turbo gone bad (what's that really mean???) can reduce power by nearly 100%; perhaps that would make it nearly impossible to start. You wondered about an electrical issue? This isn't meant as an insult at all, but a diesel doesn't depend on anything electrical to run. Once fuel is present (fuel cutoff solenoid is active and allowing fuel), the injectors and compression take over. The only way to stop a diesel is to cut off either air or fuel. The terms "ignition" and "spark" have no meaning on a diesel. Again, just trying to make sure you understand what to look for. OK, I once had a turbo mounting stud break off, and had to remove the turbo. That was a hoot, but even though I'm not very good at this stuff, I managed to get it clear out and back in again. You have to remove the muffler to get to it, and work by feel, but it's do-able. Maybe someone else can jump in regarding checking the turbo. I did find that MemoParts was about $500 for a new turbo, and Bobcat wanted about $2500. Now, timing. As Tazza mentioned, you may have slipped a tooth or two on the timing belt. See my prev post for my experience in changing it. Since the engine spins and puts out black smoke, it didn't break. How long since it's been changed (3000hrs or 5 yrs is the interval)? You could pull the lower timing belt cover and see what it looked like, but probably won't provide a definitive answer to whether it slipped. But, in their infinite wisdom, Deutz engineers have put in an antitamper screw in that cover. Duhhhhh..... It looks like a torx wrench with a hole in it's tip should fit, but it won't. The screw on mine has 5 lobes, not six like a Torx screw. It's in the trash can now. That screw plus two 10mm bolts hold the lower cover in place. Maybe you can borrow the bit from a dealer? If the belt needs changing anyhow, I think getting it retimed in the process is not that hard. If you need to change it, send me an email per my prev post and I'll shoot you my notes. Keep us posted! :) ---Bobbie-G
Bobbie G and others who are helping! Thank you all so very much! Jerry, you say you think it stopped running because it was out of fuel? How did it "quit?" A.) It was driven off of a trailer to a cleared gravel pad in my yard, it was simply turned off where it sits. Attempts to start are outlined above. Abruptly, or sputter down slowly? Any clanking noises when it quit? B.) No unusual engine sounds, bearings squealing, belts smoking, rods sticking out of block, unusual puddles of oil underneath or inside engine compartment. All appears to be normal and operational! What a mystery!! I'm no diesel mechanic and not a great Bobcat tech, so just some guesses here: You confirmed you do have the Deutz 1011. I believe those are all turbocharged. C.) Roger that it is an 864T Model, Turbo baby... I've heard that a turbo gone bad (what's that really mean???) can reduce power by nearly 100%; perhaps that would make it nearly impossible to start. You wondered about an electrical issue? This isn't meant as an insult at all, but a diesel doesn't depend on anything electrical to run. Once fuel is present (fuel cutoff solenoid is active and allowing fuel), the injectors and compression take over. The only way to stop a diesel is to cut off either air or fuel. The terms "ignition" and "spark" have no meaning on a diesel. Again, just trying to make sure you understand what to look for. OK D.) Understood, I sure appreciate your thoroughness, and I don't take any questions like that as an insult, in fact there are many who don't understand the basic operating principles,the only bad question is the one not asked. No worries and thank you again. I should have been more specific, I just wanted to make sure there were no interlock safety devices other than the fuel solenoid, something like a compression release device or other mechanical appratus that would prevent it from running, I know that perhaps the pull down seat/arm rest switch just stops the starter circuit from engaging. Maybe a low oil circuit also that kills the engine or turns fuel solenoid off before allowing it to burn up? I don't have the shop manual or wiring diagram/schematic for this model Skidsteer, I am going to buy it online, if anyone has a recommendation for a reputable retailer of shop pubs I would appreciate a point in their direction. E.) I once had a turbo mounting stud break off, and had to remove the turbo. That was a hoot, but even though I'm not very good at this stuff, I managed to get it clear out and back in again. You have to remove the muffler to get to it, and work by feel, but it's do-able. Maybe someone else can jump in regarding checking the turbo. I will take a torch to a cheap wrench or weld a flat bar to a "Security screw", stick two sockets together with a .035 hot mig wire faster than you can say....Crank up the amperage..... F.) You sound like me Bobbie-G..... Ummm...Never worked on one but are not scared to type guy. In the last 4 months I can proudly add a Czechoslovakian Zetor Model 12145 121HP 4WD Tractor and a very large dual wheeled John Deere 4440 with 15 foot batwing Bushhog and a David Brown Case 945 Tractor hydraulic system to my recent list of "Never worked on one but a willing to try successes") G.) How are diesels timed, TDC and crank/cam markings like gas engines? IDK, never had to check timing on one till now? I did find that MemoParts was about $500 for a new turbo, and Bobcat wanted about $2500. Now, timing. As Tazza mentioned, you may have slipped a tooth or two on the timing belt. H.) I have a compression tester, I suspect that a compression and leak down test will tell me whether it is in time or not just as it would on a gas engine? I.) Anti-Tamper...Pamper....That's like waving a red flag at a bull....Ha ha...! I am a retired USCG Radioman, after the John Walker spy crap they went to a two person integrity system of you watch me / I watch you , EG: Safes with two combination locks on them inevitably one of the dials or innards would crap out and we would have to gain entry to the safe unsurreptitiously (Thats how they were rated, quiet or surreptitiously or not quiet cracking or hacking) Guy says.. Check out this big plasma cutter! I will be in that safe in no time!! Yeah...Right...Those high chromium cross bolts created hella sparks but not much of a wound channel, give me a 12" abrasive cut-off wheel, a 90cc Stihl gas powered saw, full face shield and some welding gloves,a set of ear plugs and two blades later... Ill be in that SOB in about 4 minutes.....Some things are not improved upon by technology... See my prev post for my experience in changing it. Since the engine spins and puts out black smoke, it didn't break. How long since it's been changed (3000hrs or 5 yrs is the interval)? You could pull the lower timing belt cover and see what it looked like, but probably won't provide a definitive answer to whether it slipped. But, in their infinite wisdom, Deutz engineers have put in an antitamper screw in that cover. Duhhhhh..... It looks like a torx wrench with a hole in it's tip should fit, but it won't. The screw on mine has 5 lobes, not six like a Torx screw. It's in the trash can now. That screw plus two 10mm bolts hold the lower cover in place. Maybe you can borrow the bit from a dealer? I would love your notes on this regardless, I have a huge collection of tech pubs and manuals, if you are interested in anything let me know, I probably have something on the subject digitally. If the belt needs changing anyhow, I think getting it retimed in the process is not that hard. If you need to change it, send me an email per my prev post and I'll shoot you my notes. Keep us posted! Smiley ---Bobbie-G Author: TractorShaft Thanks again to all!!! I am going to put a vacuum on the fuel rail return tomorrow just to make sure I have purged all of the air out of the system, I was about 80% confident I had it all out last time but gonna give it one more shot before tearing into the compression/timing evolution. Never beaten by a mechanical or electrical device...There have been some "Draws" but never conceded a loss....:) If you cant hang...Drink tang.... Why is there always time to do it again but never time to do it right the first time? Jerry

bobbie-g

Bobbie G and others who are helping! Thank you all so very much! Jerry, you say you think it stopped running because it was out of fuel? How did it "quit?" A.) It was driven off of a trailer to a cleared gravel pad in my yard, it was simply turned off where it sits. Attempts to start are outlined above. Abruptly, or sputter down slowly? Any clanking noises when it quit? B.) No unusual engine sounds, bearings squealing, belts smoking, rods sticking out of block, unusual puddles of oil underneath or inside engine compartment. All appears to be normal and operational! What a mystery!! I'm no diesel mechanic and not a great Bobcat tech, so just some guesses here: You confirmed you do have the Deutz 1011. I believe those are all turbocharged. C.) Roger that it is an 864T Model, Turbo baby... I've heard that a turbo gone bad (what's that really mean???) can reduce power by nearly 100%; perhaps that would make it nearly impossible to start. You wondered about an electrical issue? This isn't meant as an insult at all, but a diesel doesn't depend on anything electrical to run. Once fuel is present (fuel cutoff solenoid is active and allowing fuel), the injectors and compression take over. The only way to stop a diesel is to cut off either air or fuel. The terms "ignition" and "spark" have no meaning on a diesel. Again, just trying to make sure you understand what to look for. OK D.) Understood, I sure appreciate your thoroughness, and I don't take any questions like that as an insult, in fact there are many who don't understand the basic operating principles,the only bad question is the one not asked. No worries and thank you again. I should have been more specific, I just wanted to make sure there were no interlock safety devices other than the fuel solenoid, something like a compression release device or other mechanical appratus that would prevent it from running, I know that perhaps the pull down seat/arm rest switch just stops the starter circuit from engaging. Maybe a low oil circuit also that kills the engine or turns fuel solenoid off before allowing it to burn up? I don't have the shop manual or wiring diagram/schematic for this model Skidsteer, I am going to buy it online, if anyone has a recommendation for a reputable retailer of shop pubs I would appreciate a point in their direction. E.) I once had a turbo mounting stud break off, and had to remove the turbo. That was a hoot, but even though I'm not very good at this stuff, I managed to get it clear out and back in again. You have to remove the muffler to get to it, and work by feel, but it's do-able. Maybe someone else can jump in regarding checking the turbo. I will take a torch to a cheap wrench or weld a flat bar to a "Security screw", stick two sockets together with a .035 hot mig wire faster than you can say....Crank up the amperage..... F.) You sound like me Bobbie-G..... Ummm...Never worked on one but are not scared to type guy. In the last 4 months I can proudly add a Czechoslovakian Zetor Model 12145 121HP 4WD Tractor and a very large dual wheeled John Deere 4440 with 15 foot batwing Bushhog and a David Brown Case 945 Tractor hydraulic system to my recent list of "Never worked on one but a willing to try successes") G.) How are diesels timed, TDC and crank/cam markings like gas engines? IDK, never had to check timing on one till now? I did find that MemoParts was about $500 for a new turbo, and Bobcat wanted about $2500. Now, timing. As Tazza mentioned, you may have slipped a tooth or two on the timing belt. H.) I have a compression tester, I suspect that a compression and leak down test will tell me whether it is in time or not just as it would on a gas engine? I.) Anti-Tamper...Pamper....That's like waving a red flag at a bull....Ha ha...! I am a retired USCG Radioman, after the John Walker spy crap they went to a two person integrity system of you watch me / I watch you , EG: Safes with two combination locks on them inevitably one of the dials or innards would crap out and we would have to gain entry to the safe unsurreptitiously (Thats how they were rated, quiet or surreptitiously or not quiet cracking or hacking) Guy says.. Check out this big plasma cutter! I will be in that safe in no time!! Yeah...Right...Those high chromium cross bolts created hella sparks but not much of a wound channel, give me a 12" abrasive cut-off wheel, a 90cc Stihl gas powered saw, full face shield and some welding gloves,a set of ear plugs and two blades later... Ill be in that SOB in about 4 minutes.....Some things are not improved upon by technology... See my prev post for my experience in changing it. Since the engine spins and puts out black smoke, it didn't break. How long since it's been changed (3000hrs or 5 yrs is the interval)? You could pull the lower timing belt cover and see what it looked like, but probably won't provide a definitive answer to whether it slipped. But, in their infinite wisdom, Deutz engineers have put in an antitamper screw in that cover. Duhhhhh..... It looks like a torx wrench with a hole in it's tip should fit, but it won't. The screw on mine has 5 lobes, not six like a Torx screw. It's in the trash can now. That screw plus two 10mm bolts hold the lower cover in place. Maybe you can borrow the bit from a dealer? I would love your notes on this regardless, I have a huge collection of tech pubs and manuals, if you are interested in anything let me know, I probably have something on the subject digitally. If the belt needs changing anyhow, I think getting it retimed in the process is not that hard. If you need to change it, send me an email per my prev post and I'll shoot you my notes. Keep us posted! Smiley ---Bobbie-G Author: TractorShaft Thanks again to all!!! I am going to put a vacuum on the fuel rail return tomorrow just to make sure I have purged all of the air out of the system, I was about 80% confident I had it all out last time but gonna give it one more shot before tearing into the compression/timing evolution. Never beaten by a mechanical or electrical device...There have been some "Draws" but never conceded a loss....:) If you cant hang...Drink tang.... Why is there always time to do it again but never time to do it right the first time? Jerry
Jerry, please keep us posted on progress. This one sounds intriguing. I'm suspecting the timing belt; unsure how a turbo problem would manifest. As I mentioned, I think I can help you through getting it back in time if it slipped, but it will require the rental tool kit. But bear in mind I'm a neophyte at this. I didn't get an email from you yet, and your profile doesn't list one, so I can't send you my notes at this point. :) ---Bobbie-G

Stonehands

Jerry, please keep us posted on progress. This one sounds intriguing. I'm suspecting the timing belt; unsure how a turbo problem would manifest. As I mentioned, I think I can help you through getting it back in time if it slipped, but it will require the rental tool kit. But bear in mind I'm a neophyte at this. I didn't get an email from you yet, and your profile doesn't list one, so I can't send you my notes at this point. :) ---Bobbie-G
Hello everyone. I know this post if from weeks ago but if you have not gotten it sorted yet, I'm sure you have, I had this happen on my 863F turbo. Driving along with a round bale of hay, stops dead like is just died. Didn't sputter at all. Could get it to start and try to run but it progressively got worse. I check and replaced the full filter, the fuel pump thinking that was it. Still no go. Finally found out that the fuel pick up line had broken in the bowels of the beast and I had to have a Bobcat tech come out. He knew exactly what it was. His check was a 5 gallon of diesel and hooked up a line directly from the fuel can to the fuel pump. The old girl took right off. It was a $15.00 line but cost $300.00 in labor. The guy had to get at it blind from the left side access plate. Reach in and replace the line and elbow that goes into the fuel tank. Just a thought. Good luck.

Latest posts