Help! S185 won't stay running.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jbc28

Longtime member here...not a high count post, though....could not remember my password, and my old email addy is not valid anymore..... I was on a job today running a brushcutter, and my 2004 S185 (680 hrs) just died. The panel (non keyless) was beeping and had a warning light. I tried to fire it up again. It stayed running for maybe 3 seconds, before shutting off again. I checked the codes, and it gave a 14-02, which was dealing with the fuel solenoid relay, I think. I pulled the fuse cover and swapped the glow plug relay with the fuel solenoid relay. It fired up and ran fine for about 15 minutes, but it did it again. Same code was given. I swapped the relay out again and put the rental cutter on the trailer. Any ideas as to what is going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to get back up and running asap. Thanks.

skidsteer.ca

Hard to say, could be the fuel solinoid. If its not overheating, low on oil pressure or hyd pressure I'd tie the fuel arm on the injection pump into the run position hit the key and go back to work until the job is done.
Ken

OP
OP
J

jbc28

Hard to say, could be the fuel solinoid. If its not overheating, low on oil pressure or hyd pressure I'd tie the fuel arm on the injection pump into the run position hit the key and go back to work until the job is done.
Ken
Thanks for the reply. Engine temp was good, and I checked the oil level right after. I don't know of a way to check oil pressure or hyd pressure. No warnings/ codes for those were given. One idea that I have...and I would love to hear from some mechanics or anyone else.....is the hydraulic oil temp had to be really hot. I could not even touch the aux hyd connectors to the cutter without gloves. It took me about 20 minutes to go get my tools and a water then change the relay the first time. Maybe it cooled down enough to let it run a little while longer? The 2nd time it took about 10 minutes to go get the tools back out and change it. Maybe it is shutting down due to hyd oil temp and the relays are actually fine? I was cutting pine saplings so there was a lot of stalling of the cutter motor.

OP
OP
J

jbc28

Thanks for the reply. Engine temp was good, and I checked the oil level right after. I don't know of a way to check oil pressure or hyd pressure. No warnings/ codes for those were given. One idea that I have...and I would love to hear from some mechanics or anyone else.....is the hydraulic oil temp had to be really hot. I could not even touch the aux hyd connectors to the cutter without gloves. It took me about 20 minutes to go get my tools and a water then change the relay the first time. Maybe it cooled down enough to let it run a little while longer? The 2nd time it took about 10 minutes to go get the tools back out and change it. Maybe it is shutting down due to hyd oil temp and the relays are actually fine? I was cutting pine saplings so there was a lot of stalling of the cutter motor.
It must have been the hyd oil temp. I finished up today without any problems. Just didn't run the cutter as hard.

thetool

It must have been the hyd oil temp. I finished up today without any problems. Just didn't run the cutter as hard.
Hmmmm........Interesting.
Code 14-02 is "fuel shutoff pull solenoid error-on" which means that the controller sensed voltage to the pull coil of the solenoid when it should not have.
This has nothing to do with a shut-down, or a warning light on the dash. I do not know, however, if this fault causes the fuel shutoff solenoid to trip and require a reset, causing a non-monitoring system shutdown. LOL this is my own terminology, does it make sense?
Anyway, as you may already know, many codes clear when you turn the machine off. Also, codes will scroll in the window, you can have more than one.
It sounds like you experienced a system shutdown, and you are correct that it was probably due to heat, since you were able to come back and finish the job. The 14-02 does not make sense here, tho......
Your dealer, or someone with the correct equipment, can provide you with a printout of warnings and shutdowns, a history of the last 40 occurrences. I would get a copy ot this for study and peace of mind.