Bobcat 742 won't stay running

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

I changed the fuel filter, drop tube In tank, lift pump. It runs great for about 10-20 minutes then dies. If I leave it set for about 20-30 minutes it will run for another 10-15 minutes then die. Would really appreciate some help.

brdgbldr

I changed the fuel filter, drop tube In tank, lift pump. It runs great for about 10-20 minutes then dies. If I leave it set for about 20-30 minutes it will run for another 10-15 minutes then die. Would really appreciate some help.
Just a thought, It could be the float in the carburetor is sticking.

Gbannish

When it dies, is the fuel primer bulb soft or hard? That might give a clue... My 743 had a bad fuel pickup tube (like you already replaced) and would die after 10 minutes running and only run on a full tank of fuel. At that point, the primer bulb was soft... But I could get going again by squeezing the bulb several times. After replacing the fuel pickup, it didn't die, the bulb was firm, and could run down the fuel tank...
When you replaced the fuel pick-up hose, did you check for a clog in the metal 90 degree fitting that the tube goes into? There's a great YouTube guy who says that is a common thing to clog up, and might be worth checking...
Good luck,
Greg

OP
OP
M
When it dies the bulb is hard and not compressed. I blew threw the pickup line and fitting and it was clear. I will check it again. . Thank you. It's frustrating because it runs excellent when it wants to. Maybe I will replace bulb . Thank you so much

GeorgeG

Check you fuel solenoid. If it is weak, it may only hold the plunger open till it gets hot. Next time it dies, see if is still open before you shut off the key.

Dave1234

It seems like a long shot, but is it possible something inside the lining of the flexible fuel lines has begun to come loose, and periodically flaps down and blocks the fuel supply? I doubt you could test for that, other than replacing all the rubber lines, but at least that would be cheap.

RedNeckMike

There is a better video
Bobcat Won't Start, Fuel Starvation, Fuel Pickup Tube repair.
By "HowIDidIt" but for some reason I can't attach Link

oiu789

I use a propane regulator saved from a old grill. It only has a few oz outlet pressure. To check my fuel line from the tank to the primer bulb. It will not blow the pickup line apart. and you can listen at the fuel fill hole to here whats going on in the tank. IE bubbling or air hissing. Which indicates something wrong with the pickup. You can use a propane cyl or make it up to go on a air compressor. I shut my compressor off and bleed the pressure down to a round 35 psi. If the check and line are good you should hear nothing at the fuel fill hole.

Latest posts