Has anyone made attach brackets for a backhoe?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
Has anyone made a set of backhoe attach brackets for their machine?
They look simple enough, just a piece of say 3" angle iron with a few holes and cuts and a tow ball, there doesn't look to be anything special about them, just as long as it will all clear my aux hydraulic couplings when its all attached.
I bought a backhoe attachment over 12 months ago, but i never got into using it because it threw me around because it only attached to the bobtach which allows for heaps of flex. At the time i didn't know thats why it had tow ball thingo's (i'm sure they have a propper name) from a trailer on it. A few months later i worked out why they were there but by that time i was too busy to fiddle with it.

DslDan

Tazz, Hay I'm not too sure what machine you have but I've got a set of the brackets for a backhoe that have the balls on them that you could make me an offer on plus shipping. I'll never use then and they are even in good shape. For the right price I'll even have them sponge blasted and re-painted. (I'm not looking to get rich off these) Dan

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
Tazz, Hay I'm not too sure what machine you have but I've got a set of the brackets for a backhoe that have the balls on them that you could make me an offer on plus shipping. I'll never use then and they are even in good shape. For the right price I'll even have them sponge blasted and re-painted. (I'm not looking to get rich off these) Dan

Hey Dan,
I have a 743.
Unfortunately i live in Australia, it would cost me more in shipping than what it would cost to buy them.
I have seen a few sets on E-Bay going real cheap, but freight would kill me!

Kudagra

Hey Dan,
I have a 743.
Unfortunately i live in Australia, it would cost me more in shipping than what it would cost to buy them.
I have seen a few sets on E-Bay going real cheap, but freight would kill me!
Yea those early brackets were just that...some steel with tow balls. Id get some 3/8-1/2" (9.5mm- 12.9mm For you metric types) Angle iron and bolt some tow balls in them.. Use your backhoe to locate where to put the balls. The tow balls...not your balls. Keep those in the cab.

trg753

Yea those early brackets were just that...some steel with tow balls. Id get some 3/8-1/2" (9.5mm- 12.9mm For you metric types) Angle iron and bolt some tow balls in them.. Use your backhoe to locate where to put the balls. The tow balls...not your balls. Keep those in the cab.
I was thinking of making a backhoe for my 753 skidsteer. Has anyone made one before and if so, where is the best place to buy a bucket? I think I would be better off buying the bucket. Also, what attach brackets are you talking about with the tow balls. I am not sure what you mean. I have not seen them. Tom

Kudagra

I was thinking of making a backhoe for my 753 skidsteer. Has anyone made one before and if so, where is the best place to buy a bucket? I think I would be better off buying the bucket. Also, what attach brackets are you talking about with the tow balls. I am not sure what you mean. I have not seen them. Tom
7f_1.JPG
thats the ones...if that dosent work here is the link to an Ebay item. http://cgi.ebay.com/Bobcat-Backhoe-mounting-brackets-743-743B-753C-kit_W0QQitemZ190042390848QQihZ009QQcategoryZ66926QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Kudagra

thats the ones...if that dosent work here is the link to an Ebay item. http://cgi.ebay.com/Bobcat-Backhoe-mounting-brackets-743-743B-753C-kit_W0QQitemZ190042390848QQihZ009QQcategoryZ66926QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
http://i14.ebayimg.com/04/i/08/ag/a0/7f_1.JPG

skidsteer.ca

http://i14.ebayimg.com/04/i/08/ag/a0/7f_1.JPG
Tazza
I bought a 911 pro Deere hoe off a guy who used it on a big Cat skidsteer. The top stabilizer link on this setup was just a quick release 3rd (top ) link for a common tractor 3pt hitck.
It was strong enough and showed no signs or fatigue.
But I also agree that to fab up a set of the early style brakets would no be a problem. Start with a couple lengths of 3" by 3" by 3/8" angle and a couple trailer balls and you will be all set.
The one I used on my previous 753and 909 hoe just fastened to the side of the machine with 3 per side 3/4" course bolts.
Ken

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza
I bought a 911 pro Deere hoe off a guy who used it on a big Cat skidsteer. The top stabilizer link on this setup was just a quick release 3rd (top ) link for a common tractor 3pt hitck.
It was strong enough and showed no signs or fatigue.
But I also agree that to fab up a set of the early style brakets would no be a problem. Start with a couple lengths of 3" by 3" by 3/8" angle and a couple trailer balls and you will be all set.
The one I used on my previous 753and 909 hoe just fastened to the side of the machine with 3 per side 3/4" course bolts.
Ken
Thanks for all the info, i had a quick look at it today and i can't see any reason why i can't slap a set together easily enough.
As for making a back hoe, you are refering to ones that are floating around on the web that have a cylinder that operated the bucket. You have to manually turn the machine to dump the dirt. Is that the sort you are refering to? I was considering making one of these a few years back, but i got a good price on a "propper" one so i gave up on the idea.

roadkill

Thanks for all the info, i had a quick look at it today and i can't see any reason why i can't slap a set together easily enough.
As for making a back hoe, you are refering to ones that are floating around on the web that have a cylinder that operated the bucket. You have to manually turn the machine to dump the dirt. Is that the sort you are refering to? I was considering making one of these a few years back, but i got a good price on a "propper" one so i gave up on the idea.
Hey Tazza,
My 743 has the backhoe attachments, would measurements or pictures help? My hoe is a really old Davis Manufacturing hoe, not Bobcat. I didn't realize how much power it really has....I bent the bucket pulling a treestump. The aux hyd connectors are pretty close to the coupler arms. It is pretty hard to get the hoses disconnected with the backhoe support arms on the balls. I noticed that the bottom hose disconnects easier than the top, then I can get a grip on the top one easier. I can't get the frame on the balls using just the bobtach hydraulics either, I'm not sure if it's because of tilt ram slop or not. I have to raise the couplers up with lift arms or stabilizers and use the backhoe digging arm to tilt the whole frame backward to get them on the balls. It's difficult to explain. The bobtach doesn't tilt back far enough. I can take measurements or pictures if it would help.

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
Hey Tazza,
My 743 has the backhoe attachments, would measurements or pictures help? My hoe is a really old Davis Manufacturing hoe, not Bobcat. I didn't realize how much power it really has....I bent the bucket pulling a treestump. The aux hyd connectors are pretty close to the coupler arms. It is pretty hard to get the hoses disconnected with the backhoe support arms on the balls. I noticed that the bottom hose disconnects easier than the top, then I can get a grip on the top one easier. I can't get the frame on the balls using just the bobtach hydraulics either, I'm not sure if it's because of tilt ram slop or not. I have to raise the couplers up with lift arms or stabilizers and use the backhoe digging arm to tilt the whole frame backward to get them on the balls. It's difficult to explain. The bobtach doesn't tilt back far enough. I can take measurements or pictures if it would help.
If you could give piccies and pictures that would be great! if you have time that is.
I know exactly what you mean, trying to get the tow balls to line up. I have had that problem with a bucket, i would have to hook it on then push against a tree or rock to get the bobtach locks to engage, i would have to giggle left or right to get the holes to line up some times too.
My dad knows a guy that had an old articulated loader. He has a back hoe attachment for it that sat so low it was a real pain to get it on the bobtach. He used to hook it up to the aux hydraulic lines and use its stabilizers to lift it up in the air, then hook it on.

trg753

Has anyone ever used one of those backhoes that you have to turn the skidsteer. I could build one, but I am not sure how well they would work. I have a 753 Bobcat. Tom

skiwest

Has anyone ever used one of those backhoes that you have to turn the skidsteer. I could build one, but I am not sure how well they would work. I have a 753 Bobcat. Tom
I have one for my Gelh , works really well. Can dig a 6' deep hole. Will rut up the ground pretty quickly if you turn where you are digging. If you back up and turn more gently works well.

trg753

I have one for my Gelh , works really well. Can dig a 6' deep hole. Will rut up the ground pretty quickly if you turn where you are digging. If you back up and turn more gently works well.
Thanks skiwest! I was thinking about building or buying one for light projects. Glad to hear they do work. Tom

bfingar

Thanks skiwest! I was thinking about building or buying one for light projects. Glad to hear they do work. Tom
I am in the process of modifying a Ditch Witch backhoe attachment to fit on my Bobcat. I just finished fabricating the upper stabilizer link using 2" tow balls. The tow balls work out quite well. If anyone is interested in some pictures, please e-mail me and put "Backhoe Pictures" in the subject of the e-mail so I know it is not junk mail.
Thanks
Bernie

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
I am in the process of modifying a Ditch Witch backhoe attachment to fit on my Bobcat. I just finished fabricating the upper stabilizer link using 2" tow balls. The tow balls work out quite well. If anyone is interested in some pictures, please e-mail me and put "Backhoe Pictures" in the subject of the e-mail so I know it is not junk mail.
Thanks
Bernie
I think i'll be making a set soon, i need to use the backhoe attachment so i hae to get time to get it done.

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
There is a set on Aussie Ebay,put a search in for Bobcat
starting price $50.good luck
I saw them there today, i have the angle iron and tow balls here already, i just need to find the time to slap them together......

farmboy55

I saw them there today, i have the angle iron and tow balls here already, i just need to find the time to slap them together......
Hey Tazza I suggest that you make sure that you make the strong enough. I have a 709 with the newer type brackets. They take all the stress/pressure from your backhoe when you use it. I've seen the factory brackets like your making all bent up. I do alot of custom work with mine. It does a good job, lot's of power. dennis