Hardened welding wire for my miller 250 wire feed?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

perry

Is there such a thing as hardened wire for wire feed welders?. If so do I need a special gas or no gas?. How much does it costs?.

OldMachinist

There are hard surfacing mig wires most are flux cored self shielding. Pricing is higher than normal wire and can vary wildly depending on the type needed. I've seen from $3.50 -$5.00 a pound or more. The best bet is if there is a welding supply house near you is to call and tell them what your using it for let them recomend the right wire.

OldMachinist

There are hard surfacing mig wires most are flux cored self shielding. Pricing is higher than normal wire and can vary wildly depending on the type needed. I've seen from $3.50 -$5.00 a pound or more. The best bet is if there is a welding supply house near you is to call and tell them what your using it for let them recomend the right wire.
I forgot to say that the pricing I quoted is for 50lbs rolls smaller 1lb and 3lb rolls start at $30-$50.

OP
OP
P

perry

I forgot to say that the pricing I quoted is for 50lbs rolls smaller 1lb and 3lb rolls start at $30-$50.
I posted this on Sunday when everything was closed, I knew it would be somewhat expensive and not sure it would be worth the costs, I could just weld more often with my standard wire.

skidsteer.ca

I posted this on Sunday when everything was closed, I knew it would be somewhat expensive and not sure it would be worth the costs, I could just weld more often with my standard wire.
www.ramweldingsupply.com has some in there online catolog. We have used various brands of the hi impact hi abraision hard surface in both stick and wire. I prefer the wire just because it goes down faster.
We pull D8 Cat dozer tracks around the Canadian Shield for reforestation purposes (The "shield" has a hi amount of exposed granite bed rock and boulders) We use the hard facing to cap off the 400 wearloy B fins that we weld to the cat pads. They get 2 to 4" of the 1" thick material added the pads anually, and they get pulled somewhere between 1200 and 1600 kms per season. The single pass of hard facing wears about as long as 1" of the 400 grade steel.
Ken

OP
OP
P

perry

www.ramweldingsupply.com has some in there online catolog. We have used various brands of the hi impact hi abraision hard surface in both stick and wire. I prefer the wire just because it goes down faster.
We pull D8 Cat dozer tracks around the Canadian Shield for reforestation purposes (The "shield" has a hi amount of exposed granite bed rock and boulders) We use the hard facing to cap off the 400 wearloy B fins that we weld to the cat pads. They get 2 to 4" of the 1" thick material added the pads anually, and they get pulled somewhere between 1200 and 1600 kms per season. The single pass of hard facing wears about as long as 1" of the 400 grade steel.
Ken
Ken, thanks for the link to Ram welding supplies. Ram has the best prices on hardened welding wire I could find.