Hand control to foot control conversion

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bobcatdan

So when you said "it probably needs a harness", I understood that you where referring to the harness that connects the actuators etc.. to the hand controls and the main controller. I'm guessing that is not the same as the "main frame harness"?
That's the main frame harness. Hand controls plug into main frame harness. Signal is sent to control that reads what you want to do. It then sends a single threw the main frame harness to tell the actuators what to do.

OP
OP
Axel

Axel

That's the main frame harness. Hand controls plug into main frame harness. Signal is sent to control that reads what you want to do. It then sends a single threw the main frame harness to tell the actuators what to do.
Oh good. I was worried there for a moment that you had been referring to the larger harness that connects the engine's electrical components. Since it's a bigger harness I imagined it as a "main" harness. I'm still waiting for the new AHC harness to arrive. Hopefully the good start to the year will continue, finally got all functions on the plasma CNC table that I built working. Ended up having to send both the plasma unit and motor controller out for warranty repairs before they ever worked properly(after an insane labyrinth of troubleshooting). Both components were acquired new. Problems could not be explained by either warranty technicians(probably defective on arrival they both said). A mysterious case of luck I've been having with electronics... Between that and the bobcat I probably have enough experience to start a Zen monastery

OP
OP
Axel

Axel

Just installed the new harness. didn't bother to start the engine. with key turned halfway, the RIGHT LED on the left control handle is blinking. the sequence is "two blinks and a pause" repeated. any thoughts?

OP
OP
Axel

Axel

Just installed the new harness. didn't bother to start the engine. with key turned halfway, the RIGHT LED on the left control handle is blinking. the sequence is "two blinks and a pause" repeated. any thoughts?
when I switch the cables going to the actuators, the blinking switches to the left LED. However, the right LED is then completely off. When this problem originally appeared, I had just replaced a bad actuator and resealed both spools. I initially opened the faulty actuator in hopes of salvaging it(to no avail) by draining and cleaning out the oil that flooded it. the other actuator(which had worked fine up to that point) is the old style. but I opened it anyways to see how it looked. THAT may have been a mistake. Now, after having replaced every other related part, it seems painfully obvious that the old actuator is most likely the problem. ouch$$$

Tazza

Staff member
when I switch the cables going to the actuators, the blinking switches to the left LED. However, the right LED is then completely off. When this problem originally appeared, I had just replaced a bad actuator and resealed both spools. I initially opened the faulty actuator in hopes of salvaging it(to no avail) by draining and cleaning out the oil that flooded it. the other actuator(which had worked fine up to that point) is the old style. but I opened it anyways to see how it looked. THAT may have been a mistake. Now, after having replaced every other related part, it seems painfully obvious that the old actuator is most likely the problem. ouch$$$
Sadly, it does sound like it is the issue.... Hopefully BobcatDan will have more to add. I have never worked on a machine with hand controls :(

OP
OP
Axel

Axel

Sadly, it does sound like it is the issue.... Hopefully BobcatDan will have more to add. I have never worked on a machine with hand controls :(
it's been a long journey. I really hope a new actuator will solve this challenge

Tazza

Staff member
it's been a long journey. I really hope a new actuator will solve this challenge
Just keep in mind that if you get a new actuator, you may need the dealer to flash the computer to accept the updated actuator.

mmsllc

Just keep in mind that if you get a new actuator, you may need the dealer to flash the computer to accept the updated actuator.
Man! From the overwhelming response on this topic, it really sounds like getting a machine that already has joy-sticks in it, might be cheaper. I can only imagine how much money will be tied up in this conversion. Does anyone on this page have an idea of how much it will cost??

OP
OP
Axel

Axel

That's a good point Tazza, however I'm pretty sure that my machine is older that the ones which need "programing". ...according to what several dealers have told me. UPDATE: Sunday I decided to plug in(out of curiosity to compare error lights) the original actuator which had been flooded and which I cleaned. Although it had NOT originally worked when I first did the cleaning(that was when I still had the old handle with busted LEDs), it now seems to at least satisfy the error LEDs when plugged into the harness. I still can't test it fully without the adapter/spacer which I ordered today. I should have an update in the next few days.

kilohertz

That's a good point Tazza, however I'm pretty sure that my machine is older that the ones which need "programing". ...according to what several dealers have told me. UPDATE: Sunday I decided to plug in(out of curiosity to compare error lights) the original actuator which had been flooded and which I cleaned. Although it had NOT originally worked when I first did the cleaning(that was when I still had the old handle with busted LEDs), it now seems to at least satisfy the error LEDs when plugged into the harness. I still can't test it fully without the adapter/spacer which I ordered today. I should have an update in the next few days.
Hi Axel.
What did you figure out? What wad the problem? Get it working?
Thx