Grapple Choices

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kfin

I am new to the skid steer life, but have an 873. Going to be cleaning up 22 acres that we bought to build a house on and we have another farm that I "play" on. Lots of down trees and brush to move around. For general cleanup of this kind of stuff, which brand / models of grapples seem to be the best? Cost? I don't know enough about it right now to tell a cheap one from a good one. :) From looking around the internet I think I like the ones that don't have the bucket on the bottom. They just look like 2 big claws.....LMAO. Any suggestions from the experienced ones? THanks,

wvtrees

I have a Solesbee 66" root grapple. Works great because the bottom is open so dirt and small rocks fall thru. Weighs about 800 lbs but it works well on my T190. Around $2500 three years ago.

skidsteer.ca

I have a Solesbee 66" root grapple. Works great because the bottom is open so dirt and small rocks fall thru. Weighs about 800 lbs but it works well on my T190. Around $2500 three years ago.
What I like best about the root rake style is that you can back drag with the top jaw when you want to gather up whats on top of the soil with digging into it. Or if you want to penetrate the ground, the short tines give tremendous breakout force compared to a bucket. This style also closes real tight to firmly grip most objects.
Ken

Stone Hands

I have an 863 turbo. I cleared fence rows in 40 acres I purchased. I bought a Quick Attach Eagle Talon grapple. Fantastick attachment. Took out all but the bigges stumps. On smaller trees I just pushed them over and the grapple pulled the entire root ball out. You can back rake as well and pick up 100% of the brush. Bigger trees I would cut the tree down and leave about 5 foot of stump. The machine would be able to push over using leverage and then the grapple could get under the roots and pick up the entire mess.