Graduating out of "my first machine" status

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

vinito

Hi folks.
I posted a restoration thread about my old HydraMac 8B restoration a few years ago. It turned out great and has served me well, but I ran across a halfway decent deal on something newer and much nicer today, so I committed to buying it. Now I just have to clean the old girl off and get her ready to sell. She was my first machine so I'll need to snap a few more parting pictures.
Link to my HydraMac restoration thread.
I was told that everyone has their first machine, then grows out of it. So I guess that just happened for me today.
What I am getting is an ASV PT30 (now marketed by Terex with a few improvements). The size is similar to my old HydraMac footprint, but it's a bit heavier and certainly more powerful (33-ish HP Perkins diesel vs. 22hp Harbor Freight Gasoline). Hours aren't too bad at around 1600 and the only thing I could find on inspection is that it needs a couple idler rollers tuned up and will probably need tracks before the summer is done. Otherwise, the thing is in great shape. The tracks themselves are quite a step up. I didn't think of it being such a big deal but holy cow, it feels soo incredibly much more smooth and stable than tires. Plus, I didn't know that rubber tracked loaders came in this size so that was a pleasant surprise since that size has worked out perfect for my uses thus far. I think I'm gonna love this thing.
So here's a pic I lifted off the net. I may post some actual pictures of mine once I get it settled in.
183165586_ASVPT30.jpg

So anybody want a nice Hydramac 8B in almost new (totally restored) condition?
emotion-4.gif

I realize that this machine might be small to some, but it's about perfect size for my uses. If anybody has advice or warnings or cupcakes, I'm all in!

SkidRoe

Well done on your new purchase. There is another member that I am in contact with who made the move to the same machine and he loves it.
I am disappointed in myself that I missed following your restoration thread, must have been in one of my 'off following other pursuits' phases that my life throws at me from time to time. But I have had a chance to read it now, and all I can say is very well done!! I did notice that for some reason the video link in the post doesn't work anymore. I can likely help you fix that if you e-mail me the link URL.
Look forward to seeing how you make out with your new CTL.
Cheers - SR

OP
OP
vinito

vinito

Well done on your new purchase. There is another member that I am in contact with who made the move to the same machine and he loves it.
I am disappointed in myself that I missed following your restoration thread, must have been in one of my 'off following other pursuits' phases that my life throws at me from time to time. But I have had a chance to read it now, and all I can say is very well done!! I did notice that for some reason the video link in the post doesn't work anymore. I can likely help you fix that if you e-mail me the link URL.
Look forward to seeing how you make out with your new CTL.
Cheers - SR
Good to hear that this machine is liked by some. So far I'm REALLY liking this machine myself too. I guess I'm ready to sell off the old HydraMac now. Well... not exactly "ready" as I have to install a couple gauges I never got around to - the sensors are already installed so would be a shame not to install the gauges that go with them. Also needs a good rinsing, but that's about it and I'm ready to try to recoup some of the money that went out on this ASV.
I hear ya on being "off following other pursuits". I've been pretty occupied myself the past couple years.
Well the past few days I've been busy fitting attachments. Doing pretty OK so far. It came with a smooth bucket, so (1). I've since put together a receiver hitch (2), some forks (3) and made a much better mount for the auger (4).
So I'm kinda either in the market for a tooth bucket or making a tooth bar. I wonder if a 4-in-1 would be as handy as they look... Any thoghts on that? Apparently it's a pretty standard attachment on these PT30 machines as most all the youtube videos show them with a 4-in-1 attached. They do look pretty handy but I wonder if I'd be maybe just as well served by making a tilt/angle blade of my own for cheap and just a separate tooth bucket? I'm not opposed to a 4-in-1 but they cost a couple grand minimum and I pretty much spent my wad on the machine, so I'd want to be absolutely sure that it would be extremely useful and handy in comparison to separate attachments, i.e. well worth it. Whadda ya think?
New picture of my actual machine. Not bad:
ss2.jpg

OP
OP
vinito

vinito

Good to hear that this machine is liked by some. So far I'm REALLY liking this machine myself too. I guess I'm ready to sell off the old HydraMac now. Well... not exactly "ready" as I have to install a couple gauges I never got around to - the sensors are already installed so would be a shame not to install the gauges that go with them. Also needs a good rinsing, but that's about it and I'm ready to try to recoup some of the money that went out on this ASV.
I hear ya on being "off following other pursuits". I've been pretty occupied myself the past couple years.
Well the past few days I've been busy fitting attachments. Doing pretty OK so far. It came with a smooth bucket, so (1). I've since put together a receiver hitch (2), some forks (3) and made a much better mount for the auger (4).
So I'm kinda either in the market for a tooth bucket or making a tooth bar. I wonder if a 4-in-1 would be as handy as they look... Any thoghts on that? Apparently it's a pretty standard attachment on these PT30 machines as most all the youtube videos show them with a 4-in-1 attached. They do look pretty handy but I wonder if I'd be maybe just as well served by making a tilt/angle blade of my own for cheap and just a separate tooth bucket? I'm not opposed to a 4-in-1 but they cost a couple grand minimum and I pretty much spent my wad on the machine, so I'd want to be absolutely sure that it would be extremely useful and handy in comparison to separate attachments, i.e. well worth it. Whadda ya think?
New picture of my actual machine. Not bad:
Ooh, I have a question too. I'm thinking of getting a new set of tracks which will hopefully wait until winter. The undercarriage needs some attention (mostly the plastic idler wheels & bearings) and that would be a good winter project if it holds out.
Anyway, trackloaderparts.com offers OEM track and DuroForce track. DuroForce is about 25% less expensive which is appealing. I don't work my machines particularly hard, but it does get into dirt which has rock in it... just yer standard digging around thing. Of course everybody reports that their aftermarket track is as good or better than OEM, others say OEM is the only way to go, and yet others say even OEM track fails early sometimes faster than certain aftermarket track, so of course I'm in a fog of war.
Anybody had experience with DuroForce track? If it's decent, I like the saving money thing and I'll probably only put 200 or 300 hours on the thing per year. But I don't want to shoot myself in the foot either. So if anybody has experience with those DuroForce track I'd really like to hear bout it. Thanks.
Oh, and regarding the video link on my build thread linked from post 1, I'm not sure what's up with that. It works just fine for me where I'm at, but here's the link in case it needs fixing by anybody.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vrWZmveVDE

SkidRoe

Ooh, I have a question too. I'm thinking of getting a new set of tracks which will hopefully wait until winter. The undercarriage needs some attention (mostly the plastic idler wheels & bearings) and that would be a good winter project if it holds out.
Anyway, trackloaderparts.com offers OEM track and DuroForce track. DuroForce is about 25% less expensive which is appealing. I don't work my machines particularly hard, but it does get into dirt which has rock in it... just yer standard digging around thing. Of course everybody reports that their aftermarket track is as good or better than OEM, others say OEM is the only way to go, and yet others say even OEM track fails early sometimes faster than certain aftermarket track, so of course I'm in a fog of war.
Anybody had experience with DuroForce track? If it's decent, I like the saving money thing and I'll probably only put 200 or 300 hours on the thing per year. But I don't want to shoot myself in the foot either. So if anybody has experience with those DuroForce track I'd really like to hear bout it. Thanks.
Oh, and regarding the video link on my build thread linked from post 1, I'm not sure what's up with that. It works just fine for me where I'm at, but here's the link in case it needs fixing by anybody.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vrWZmveVDE
Regarding the toothbar / toothed bucket, I would highly recommend either of them, as they make digging hard or undisturbed ground so much easier.
I can't really comment too much on the 4-in-1 bucket, as I have never used one, but from what I have seen, they definitely seem like they have their place. I have never heard anyone complain about them. They are a bit heavier than a standard material bucket, obviously, so I would factor that in when deciding how big of one to purchase.
Cheers - SR

OP
OP
vinito

vinito

Regarding the toothbar / toothed bucket, I would highly recommend either of them, as they make digging hard or undisturbed ground so much easier.
I can't really comment too much on the 4-in-1 bucket, as I have never used one, but from what I have seen, they definitely seem like they have their place. I have never heard anyone complain about them. They are a bit heavier than a standard material bucket, obviously, so I would factor that in when deciding how big of one to purchase.
Cheers - SR
Well I've decided that for now I'll go with a tooth bar. I considered some that I could buy, then decided I could just buy the teeth and make a bar to fit the bucket, then settled into just deciding that I'll just make the whole smash. For the amount I use my machines in the past, some decent home-made teeth will still last a long time and I have enough metal around that it will be free + labor. Some teeth wedges will be simple and I've made some before which worked just fine.
But it's not being el-cheapo alone that I'm going this way, but also that I can make the bar fit my particular bucket "perfectly". I'm sure that no matter what I bought, it would have some goofy this or that which makes it less than optimum for some reason, so why not just dive in from the start.
Anybody have opinions or even thoughts on the DuroForce track from trackloaderparts.com?

OP
OP
vinito

vinito

Well I've decided that for now I'll go with a tooth bar. I considered some that I could buy, then decided I could just buy the teeth and make a bar to fit the bucket, then settled into just deciding that I'll just make the whole smash. For the amount I use my machines in the past, some decent home-made teeth will still last a long time and I have enough metal around that it will be free + labor. Some teeth wedges will be simple and I've made some before which worked just fine.
But it's not being el-cheapo alone that I'm going this way, but also that I can make the bar fit my particular bucket "perfectly". I'm sure that no matter what I bought, it would have some goofy this or that which makes it less than optimum for some reason, so why not just dive in from the start.
Anybody have opinions or even thoughts on the DuroForce track from trackloaderparts.com?
Figured I'd post a bit of an update.
This loader is in really good shape other than the undercarriage rollers and track being "less than minty". I figured it wouldn't hurt to blow a little money shining that up so the machine will be reliable for a longer time. I won't be getting rid of the old track just so I'll have spares, but I did buy new tracks and some bearings to spiff up the rollers a bit.
I think the drive cage is in pretty decent shape, but I'm gonna dig into it to make sure there are zero problems with it and replace parts if necessary. It's pretty simple being just basic grade 8 bolts and some length of a couple sizes of tubing, so might as well look for worn stuff and bring it up to new specs if I'm in there anyway.
So in a couple weeks I should be done with that (just squeezing time in between other priorities). In the meantime, the thing does still work great and I love how it operates. It came with a smooth bucket and I have teeth ordered so I can add a basic tooth bar, and I've already built a nice mount for my auger, a nice pallet fork attachment, and a hitch receiver attachment which doubles as a hoist boom. I'm gonna be in pretty good shape. I'm especially enjoying having forks finally as it's something I can use around here at least a couple times a week.
What a great upgrade - I'm liking it a lot.

SkidRoe

Figured I'd post a bit of an update.
This loader is in really good shape other than the undercarriage rollers and track being "less than minty". I figured it wouldn't hurt to blow a little money shining that up so the machine will be reliable for a longer time. I won't be getting rid of the old track just so I'll have spares, but I did buy new tracks and some bearings to spiff up the rollers a bit.
I think the drive cage is in pretty decent shape, but I'm gonna dig into it to make sure there are zero problems with it and replace parts if necessary. It's pretty simple being just basic grade 8 bolts and some length of a couple sizes of tubing, so might as well look for worn stuff and bring it up to new specs if I'm in there anyway.
So in a couple weeks I should be done with that (just squeezing time in between other priorities). In the meantime, the thing does still work great and I love how it operates. It came with a smooth bucket and I have teeth ordered so I can add a basic tooth bar, and I've already built a nice mount for my auger, a nice pallet fork attachment, and a hitch receiver attachment which doubles as a hoist boom. I'm gonna be in pretty good shape. I'm especially enjoying having forks finally as it's something I can use around here at least a couple times a week.
What a great upgrade - I'm liking it a lot.
Glad to hear your new machine is settling in well. Sounds like you made a good investment.
Cheers - SR

Arik434

Glad to hear your new machine is settling in well. Sounds like you made a good investment.
Cheers - SR
My 2nd machine and first CTL is a Terex 070T. Same basic size. Your is just the older style machine, but still a good one. I don't love the unique Terex mounts, but now I've got adaptors for the bobcat stuff or I just modify my attachments to fit. I purchased a 48" 4-1 bucket for under 1,000 last year and it really is handy. It's basically my everyday bucket, but I plan to cut the mounts off and lower them. I am anal and don't like that the lift arms are up about 6" while the bucket is flat on the ground.