Gehl 5640 electrical malfunction machine shuts down panel lights flicker

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

CK82

Guys, I'm having some intermittent issues with my 2004 Gehl 5640. The issues have been far between, but now more frequent. While in operation and sitting on the trailer the engine goes on and off then shuts off completely. The dash/panel lights flicker, and when in operation while moving there even has been a loud very bad grinding noise, like the parking brake is trying to actuate. I was told a bad battery or loose connection at the battery or where the panel power wire connects to the starter. All connections look good and the battery load tests good as well. Any ideas I am stumped? The problem has been far between until now it is happening frequently. Thank you for any info and expertise. -Chris

Tazza

Staff member
It does sound like a bad ground or power connection to the controller. Check all the connectors to the controller and the battery +ve and ground cables to the frame. Not that they look ok, but you really need to inspect them too. When cranking, do any of the terminals get hot?
Personally i'd feel that for the dash to flicker but it cranks ok, the problem is further on, even the fuse box. The connectors may be corroded?

JHarvey

Hey CK82, I'm having exact same problem on a 4640. I lose all power to everything, lights, instruments,etc. I checked/cleaned/tightened all machine grounds and battery, but still can't seem to find the problem. It seems to be related to cab ground or power but I can't figure out. Did you have any luck? Any info is appreciated.